Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
again, that's embarrassing during a Cup window a journeyman D making league min. is vying for a top 4 spot
Florida has an old 1mill a year Kulikov in their top 4, Dallas who was a top 4 team last year in their window has Lyubushkin penciled in a top 4 spot too.
Its the start of the season and it sucks. But we have the cap space and assets to add a real good top 4 d at the deadline.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
I couldnt disagree with the bolded more.
Playing a rookie on his off side in the NHL is rarely ever a good idea.
I posted this already but just imagine how bad Nurse would be on his off side and he is a Vet player.
Its a big deal and the Oilers lack of quality on the right side hurt the team and it hurt Broberg's development.

I could be wrong but wasn't Broberg playing LD/RD just before his draft or just after? Ideally you don't play them on their offside but once again their hand was forced to get Ekholm because Broberg wasn't even close to taking the next step.

TBH the only games he's looked even passable were in these last playoffs playing his offside

Reactions: CycloneSweep

North

Jun 25, 2009
So true. He has potential no question, but I think people are forgetting that 90% of last year we thought he was a bust and were ready to move on from him.
Also keep in mind this is a two year deal. If he does come close to playing up to this deal, his next deal would be even more ridiculous.

Reactions: rboomercat90

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
again, we are back to hoping and praying everyone turns out and waiting for a saviour at the deadline with little assets to acquire him

That's literally what we would have been doing if we matched on Broberg. Unless he has somehow established himself as a sure fire Top 4 overnight and I missed it.

Reactions: TheGingaNinja

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Would be interesting to know what the max cap hit Jackson valued Broberg at. Because without knowing that, we don’t really know if he’s guilty of not being proactive or not. Maybe the team just doesn’t value the player regardless.

Not saying it’s necessarily what I think.

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
again, we are back to hoping and praying everyone turns out and waiting for a saviour at the deadline with little assets to acquire him
So with that point of view, we should sign Schultz and Barrie because we know what they do and never let any prospects come up and have a shot. And this is why players like Broberg didn't want to be here. Because we made no room for them.

Reactions: La Bamba

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Would be interesting to know what the max cap hit Jackson valued Broberg at. Because without knowing that, we don’t really know if he’s guilty of not being proactive or not. Maybe the team just doesn’t value the player regardless.

Not saying it’s necessarily what I think.

I don't see a ton of reason not to take the word of Broberg's agent as mostly the truth and he said 2 years 1.1M AAV.

That sounds about right to me given Edmonton's cap situation a week ago and what the guy has actually accomplished to date.

Reactions: frag2

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Ceci and Desharnais aren't any good. Apparently that's now a tough thing for this board to accept which is a bit strange but here we are.

Short term I'm actually more worried about the bottom 6 at forward.
They aren't (well Desharnais was a mighty fine PKer, but otherwise). But the problem is Broberg was supposed to be the one that solved that issue, both now and in the future. Losing him means we got rid of two admittedly not great players but didn't really replace them. I do have high hopes for both Emberson and Stetcher, but I still think those complaining about the state of the D currently (I'm not one of them) are justified.

I'm honestly more upset about not matching Holloway. I like Broberg a lot, but I have always been super high on Holloway, since we drafted him, and I still think he'll be a top-line player and 30-goal scorer in this league.

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
I'm not too worried about the D. Ceci, Desharnais types can be found everywhere, 5-6 PK Dmen. Believe it or not, every team has a player like Broberg- a player they've been waiting to break out for years now. We wouldn't give him second thought if he wasn't a top 10 pick.
I'm more concerned what the losses of Holloway, Mcleod and Foegele do for team speed. 3 of the younger and faster players on the team outside Mcdavid. Our forward core now is old and SLOW. That needs to be upgraded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad