Post-Game Talk: Oilers dig a self-inflicted grave

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I won't pile on him as much as others, but JSkinner just isn't a fit on the 2nd line.

The second he gets the puck he just looks to get it to the net. Meanwhile Drai and Arvidsson are circling back expecting a return pass.

As for the top line, RNH doesn't work well next to McDavid if Connor is refusing to shoot. What's annoying is swapping Skinner and Nuge is such an easy step, that I'm scared the team will dig in their heels not to. Though Knob has shown he's not super stubborn with his lines.

As for the defence: sloppy.

One thing I noticed is no one had a good read on where they should move the puck. Sure the Jets are a good defensive team, but that was more so a team with no instincts of where the open man is or who is/should be winding up to attack with speed. Lots of get the puck, skate to centre, and dump it in with no one ready to forecheck.

As for Stu... That was bad. Yes *most* of the goals were off good chances, but you're an NHL goalie and paid as such, not a shooter tutor.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I’ve been on this rollercoaster ride many times.

People losing their shit after one game remind me of people who have been on the same amusement park ride 100 times and always act as if it’s their first time.

It’s going to be ok.

Reactions: brentashton

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Damn I hate second pre-season.

I'll tune in after Remembrance day when they've dug themselves a sufficient enough hole to Rocky Balboa out of it.

Seriously though on a single game point of view you had to see this coming.
Winnipeg got embarrassed in the playoffs last year. You know they were going to come out like a house of on fire and Helleybuck was going to play this one like it was a playoff game. It's just not in Edmonton's nature to take any of this into account and be prepared for it. It's still second pre season for them.

This team needs to get punched in the face before they find their game. It's never going to change.
Just turn this shit off and tune in after second pre season ends :P

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Makes sense zero intensity in pre-season, mixing lines even though they were pretty much set all summer.

Curious to see their bounce back in game 2

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
Skinner sucks so bad. The fact they made it as far as they did with him mostly in net is impressive but still, he’s not a starting goalie on any other playoff team this year.

I say the same thing every year and Skinner defenders bash me. I’ll take a chance to say it early this year but he’s just not a good goaltender. Dan Cloutier 2.0

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I would seriously shake up the lines for next game - send a message that this effort is not acceptable. I believe they will bounce back even with no changes but given last year they need to take more drastic measures.

Skinner-McDavid-Hyman
Lavoie-Draisaitl-Arvidsson
RNH-Henrique-Brown
Janmark-Ryan-Podkolzin

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Stecher
Kulak-Emberson

Not a huge fan of “rewarding” Skinner after a poor preseason and first game but I think stylistically it’s a better fit. Less need for him to retrieve pucks and could hopefully finish some of McDavid’s set ups. I thought Nuge was probably our worst forward and that top line was just going through the motions.

Throw a hungry Lavoie with Draisaitl to hopefully give some energy. Arvidsson I thought was ok in comparison to most of the forwards.

That third line hopefully adds some more ability in their own zone and subbing Janmark for Perry on the fourth helps the forechecking ability. Can’t expect Podkolzin to be the only guy on that line.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
It’s only one game, but you can’t help be upset and not want another slow start like last year. Maybe if we get off to a quicker start we can have home ice advantage throughout the playoffs and Stanley Cup. I don’t want another year where we are playing catch-up hockey. No reason to come out that flat and lose 6-0

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005

People losing their shit after one game remind me of people who have been on the same amusement park ride 100 times and always act as if it’s their first time.

It’s going to be ok.
These posts are tiring.

The way this team treated preseason bled into last night. It must be corrected sooner than later.

Had we had home ice advantage for the final last season we probably win the cup.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yeah do not get it. Its almost as if the players on the team who spoke glowingly about Ceci knew something about hockey that HFBoard posters do not ......
The players speak glowingly about Nurse too though…

It’s going to be ok.
Our last 2 awful starts to the season required a new coach bump to get us out of it.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
These posts are tiring.

The way this team treated preseason bled into last night. It must be corrected sooner than later.

Had we had home ice advantage for the final last season we probably win the cup.
Agreed, this team simply can't afford another slow start. They were fortunate to catch up last year but it's not always going to be that way. Losing this game sucks but it's hopefully just a bad game. If they lose to the Blackhawks Saturday at home then some alarms need to start going off.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
They lost by 7 goals last opening night and only lost by 6 goals this opening night so next season they will only lose by 5 goals. #oilerpositives

This core group despises being a frontrunner, always has always will. Them getting off to a poor start was as predictable as the sun rising in the east and setting in the west.

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
Find a goalie upgrade. Never trusted Skinner. The team carries him. Oh, a #4D too

Oilers are that kid who does his homework last minute. Just what they are. No urgency.

Your parent is your last line of defense if they look over your work.

Skinner is supposed to be their parent, but the parent is missing

Reactions: Kerberos and Barrsy

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
The players speak glowingly about Nurse too though…

Fair enough.

They also will not take contract into account though. If Nurse was making what he is worth, ~3M, he can be dropped to the third pair, gives 8.75M (6M + Kulak) to vastly improve the second pair. Nurse gets far easier minutes. Then no one here is complaining about Nurse at all.

I'd be willing to live with Nurse getting 15 minutes on the third pairing with easier matchups, but that is generally unlikely to happen.

Reactions: Trow

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The Oilers will be fine, I mean they've finished 2nd in their division last 5 years. They've earned my benefit of doubt in terms of slow start to begin a season. Know they'll be ready to perform when it counts. And hopefully dig the f*** in!

Oh I know. It’s just maddening that they do this every single year with every single new coach. This year it’s particularly maddening given they literally picked the team in the summer.

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Well, I'm glad I decided to shut off the game after the 4th goal. That sleep last night was much more bearable than if I watched the whole game. What an absolute let down. How much is it to ask for a COMPLETE game from the Oilers on their first game of the season? This is turning into last season already. Only positive was it wasn't against Vancouver.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
RNH McDavid Hyman
Lavoie Draisaitl Arvidsson
Skinner Henrique Brown
Podkolzin Philp Janmark

Also start looking for that 2RD Right Fkng Now.

30 game Emberson ain’t it.
I think we probably need more than a 1 game sample size to make this determination.

Idiotic decision by the coaches to only play Nurse-Emberson together in preseason 1 game, defies all logic.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
If one thing became clear last night as a number of teams had their home opener it's this:

Some teams were prepared to play. Some teams were not.

The Oilers did not come prepared to play.

Reactions: nabob

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Lickspittle Stauffer calling out J. Skinner, amazing.

J Skinner was far from the worst Oiler but he does like trying to do things himself out there. He should be on the 3rd line with Henrique and Brown and give Lavoie a test drive with Draisaitl.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I think we probably need more than a 1 game sample size to make this determination.

Idiotic decision by the coaches to only play Nurse-Emberson together in preseason 1 game, defies all logic.

Normally I’d 100% agree with you but his game has lot of inexperienced speed wobbles and partnering with an unpredictable D partner won’t help. He’s better served on the bottom pair to get the experience needed to steady his game with a steady partner like Kulak.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
That was more due to Nurse being banged up, so I'll give them a pass there
While that's true, they wasted a game playing Dermott with Nurse. Even one extra exhibition game of Nurse-Emberson would have been valuable experience in getting a feel for each other and they just threw Dermott up there for some unknown reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad