Confirmed Signing with Link: Oilers decline to match offer sheets for Broberg and Holloway

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bond

May 10, 2012
From everyone. The Blues just announced to the league that they think offer sheets are perfectly reasonable and a completely normal way of lowball acquiring young talents.

whenever the Blues get around to drafting and developing any such young talents, it's open season. And not just from Edmonton.
Maybe their management will be better and not get painted into a corner

Reactions: Memento

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
how old are the oilers now.
top 3 oldest team in the league having lost their 2 youngest players?
Probably hasn't changed much over the next 2 years when you consider the acquisitions of Podkolzin, Emberson, Savoie and Jarventie.

I think it has more to do with St. Louis needing to move a contract with Broberg and Holloway coming in.

Grieving. It’s a process.
Your first response makes zero sense given that an NCAA prospect isn't under contract.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
From everyone. The Blues just announced to the league that they think offer sheets are perfectly reasonable and a completely normal way of lowball acquiring young talents.

whenever the Blues get around to drafting and developing any such young talents, it's open season. And not just from Edmonton.

Likewise, the Oilers just showed the league how not to treat your young RFAs so I'm sure other GMs are taking note. Especially when you have no cap space to work with.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
They are both depth guys unless they take a big leap next season. St.Louis was the best team out of the playoffs, so they really don't need much to enter next year. I'd say luck (injuries,PDO,etc.) will be a bigger contributing factor than both of these guys.
They can't get better injury luck than last season. The top 6F and top 4D missed only like 20 games combined last season.

Reactions: jfhabs

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Likewise, the Oilers just showed the league how not to treat your young RFAs so I'm sure other GMs are taking note. Especially when you have no cap space to work with.
Will be interesting if offer sheets become more common. It will likely mean a massive shift in teams getting their RFAs on cheap bridge deals when they have no arbitration leverage. Might be looking at RFAs squeezing teams for 2.5-3mil instead of 1-1.5mil bridge deals.

Reactions: Reality Czech

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
how old are the oilers now.
top 3 oldest team in the league having lost their 2 youngest players?
We replaced the 2 youngest with Podkolzin and Emberson who are also young and we moved out McLeod of Savoie so nothing really has changed much.

DingerMcSlapshot

Dec 1, 2017
Will be interesting if offer sheets become more common. It will likely mean a massive shift in teams getting their RFAs on cheap bridge deals when they have no arbitration leverage. Might be looking at RFAs squeezing teams for 2.5-3mil instead of 1-1.5mil bridge deals.
Kinda what decent RFAS used to get. Until the low balling Oilers tried to screw Holloway and Broberg.

HockeyScotty

Sep 11, 2021
And Broberg/Holloway showed other young pending RFA's that are in situations they don't like that you still can get PAID if you play your cards right

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
Broberg I think will develop into a top 4 Dman, but 4.5 mill for a 22 year old who hasn't cemented himself in the league is crazy talk for the Oilers, especially with Bouchard, Draisaitl and Mcdavid raises coming up. Holloway will be a good middle 6 player- his loss stings. He plays almost exactly like a younger Warren Foegele, which is to say, fast, tenacious, physical- he can be 3rd fiddle on a 2nd line, or 2nd fiddle on a 3rd line, and provide cheap depth scoring. Both losses hurt but it's the reality in a cap world

Reactions: Mighty Makar

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Once again, I am forced to ask why the Oilers insisted on drafting Broberg and Holloway in the first place instead of trading those picks for more established assets, who could help Connor McDavid and Leon.

Like, even if you insisted on building around younger players, a 1st round pick and two 2nds will reliably get you an RFA top six forward or a top four defenceman in the 21 to 23 year old age range. For at least a decade now.

That gets you a player who will have 0 trade protections and be inclined to sign for longer to have their stats pumped by the two best players in the world.

In the cap era, the Oilers have drafted their own 1st round selection every year except 2023 and 2006.

Absurd.

Once you have your McDavid and Draisaitl and once you get two years post their draft, three max, you have to stop drafting 18-year-olds because they won’t be ready in time.

See Broberg, Philip and Holloway, Dylan.

They were seat fillers on the ONE Stanley Cup run the Oilers have managed with McDavid.

And now they’re Blues

I just don’t get it.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Offer Sheets are made only in the rare situations where a team truly likes a player and feels that they can get the player with their offer, otherwise, they don't bother.
I don't think it changes how teams operate in terms of leaving their non arb rfas until later in the summer. Maybe if you are a better club, you do realize that it is best to not leave yourself exposed to limited cap room to only do a bridge deal with a rfa. Especially, with the cap increasing and thus the thresholds of compensation going up as well, where $4.6 mill is the cutoff for a 2nd round pick comp and it will continue to increase towards $5 mill over the next couple of seasons.

Armstrong is also stepping down in 2026 to hand the GM role over to Steen, so him making an enemy isn't that big a deal to him vs say someone who is only in year 3 of being a GM and would like to do that role over the next 10-15 years.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Kinda what decent RFAS used to get. Until the low balling Oilers tried to screw Holloway and Broberg.
Not even close to reality. Teams have done this for years to RFAs who had no arb rights. Especially with players who have no yet shown to be top 9 or top 4 players over a full season. I think both will get there, but neither had shown nearly enough consistently to deserve much of a pay raise.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
It's actually crazy to me that people are now saying that losing Ceci is going to hurt the Oilers bad. This guy was shit on for 3 years straight for his play in the playoffs sinking the Oilers. We also have people claiming he and Desharnais are the reason the Oilers PK was good? That's hilarious given that it was entirely the system and the aggressive sticks of the forwards that made it so good in the playoffs, the chemistry of the forward pairings, and people buying in at the right time. There's a reason why the PK wasn't that good in the regular season.
Well the thought was Edmonton would replace him with someone…better.

Reactions: HarrySPlinkett

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Once again, I am forced to ask why the Oilers insisted on drafting Broberg and Holloway in the first place instead of trading those picks for more established assets, who could help Connor McDavid and Leon.

Like, even if you insisted on building around younger players, A first round pick and two seconds will reliably get you an RFA top six forward or a top four defenceman in the 21 to 23 year old age range. For at least a decade now.

That gets you a Player who will have 0 trade protections and be inclined to sign for longer to have their stats pumped by the two best players in the world.

In the cap era, The Oilers have drafted their own 1st round selection every year except this one and 2006.

Absurd.

Once you have your McDavid and Draisaitl and once you get two years post their draft, three max, you have to stop drafting 18-year-olds because they won’t be ready in time.

See Broberg, Philip and Holloway, Dylan. They were seat fillers on the one Stanley Cup run. The Oilers have managed with McDavid. And now they’re blues.

I just don’t get it.
Why? Because they were supposed to be a 2nd wave of cheap depth in the contending years. That's how teams stay competitive for longer than 5 year windows. Those players are no longer cheap depth, they're expensive depth who still haven't proven enough for a team like Edmonton to pay them that much.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Like, even if you insisted on building around younger players, A first round pick and two seconds will reliably get you an RFA top six forward or a top four defenceman in the 21 to 23 year old age range. For at least a decade now.
Which teams have moved a ELC range player for draft picks like that? Teams would move mid to later 20's as that player approaches free agency, like a DCat. Even rebuilding teams would keep those kids.

Artemi Panarin

Aug 3, 2021
Ко́ркино
636499758526484587-USATSI-9152981.jpg

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Edmonton really took a step forward this past season because of their depth role pieces becoming quite good and not getting dragged by the big dogs most games.

Feels like they've taken a hit in that regard this off-season, but that happens in a cap world. Interested to see if they regress this year.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
And Broberg/Holloway showed other young pending RFA's that are in situations they don't like that you still can get PAID if you play your cards right

This is true. It's becoming a young man's league, that's for sure. We already see 23 year olds signing for 8x8. These young bucks wanna get paid asap.

I honestly do hope things work out for the Oil and could see them being better off by year's end. This might force them to be more proactive regarding their blueline than they would have been otherwise.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
A second and a third for Broberg and Holloway. I can imagine what Oilers fans reactions would have been if St. Louis had offered this in a trade right after the playoffs.
A tidy piece of work by Armstrong here.
I would have wanted to see what the reaction would have been like if Blues had offered a 2nd round pick for Broberg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad