Confirmed Signing with Link: Oilers decline to match offer sheets for Broberg and Holloway

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dakine

Jan 30, 2024
The last week has been an emotional roller coaster for Oilers fans, I imagine. The consensus narrative on the main boards has been fun to watch (and yes, I recognize the Oilers fandom is a large, diverse group with differing individual opinions)

*Offersheets signed*

"We should match Holloway and let Broberg walk."

*Ceci traded away*

"Yes! Now we can afford to match Broberg, Holloway was replaceable so this always made the most sense."

*Oilers decline to match*

"We were better off not overpaying either of those guys anyway!"

We could have matched. We could never have afforded to match.

How? No cap, no good assets and who's even available.
Like let's say the flames were willing to trade Rasmus to you guys who's going the other way to make the cap work and what assets are going back that would beat other teams? keeping in mind any contract moved likely has no actual value. which drives up the price along with most teams rosters already set upgrading will be hard.

The Oilers could actually fit Rasmus' contract at the TDL with the projected accrued cap space (based on the current cap space they have available) after letting Broberg and Holloway walk. Not that I think they will get him, but they will have options that they didn't have before.

Last edited:

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
In the Cup finals, Broberg was a +7 playing 17 minutes a game. His value came from being one of your better players in the finals. In lifting Nurse.

His value would come this season by reducing the number of minutes you'll now put on Ekholm, Nurse, Kulak and Bouchard. 3 of which are 30 or more years old. Good luck getting to the playoffs healthy and with legs left after going deep into the playoffs and having a short off-season. With now having a short handed roster missing a #4 and #5 defenders and replacing them with... check notes... yikes.
And all of that goes away at 4.5M a year. A good 3 or 4 games does not constitute that significant an overpay. Again not sure why people think the guy with 12! NHL games is going to fix the Oilers defense.

St Louis can afford to make the gamble that he's worth this contract. Edmonton can't. Good for the Blues for taking advantage of this

DingerMcSlapshot

Dec 1, 2017
Am I supposed to be insulted by someone that can’t spell and likely lives in Missouri?
Grammer shaming looks bad on you.
Podkolzin and Emberson played a combined 49 regular season NHL games last year. Broberg and Holloway played 50. Podkolzin and Emberson combined 12 points, Broberg and Holloway (who had games with Draisailt and shit) 11 points.
All 4 have been mostly AHL guys the last few years.
And? Who are the better players?

Reactions: Memento

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
This whole situation is weird. Immediately I thought they'd only match Holloway, but then they made some moves to open space and replace him. So then I thought Broberg stays. Now rumour is both are gone? Huh?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
In the Cup finals, Broberg was a +7 playing 17 minutes a game. His value came from being one of your better players in the finals. In lifting Nurse.

His value would come this season by reducing the number of minutes you'll now put on Ekholm, Nurse, Kulak and Bouchard. 3 of which are 30 or more years old. Good luck getting to the playoffs healthy and with legs left after going deep into the playoffs and having a short off-season. With now having a short handed roster missing a #4 and #5 defenders and replacing them with... check notes... yikes.
Analytically Broberg was our worst defenders in the finals but had a great ONIS% and PDO.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
This whole situation is weird. Immediately I thought they'd only match Holloway, but then they made some moves to open space and replace him. So then I thought Broberg stays. Now rumour is both are gone? Huh?
Oilers probably told St. Louis to add the 2028 3rd and Paul Fischer if not they're matching Broberg.

It's still early but this might end up as a win win for both teams

• Haha
Reactions: WetcoastOrca

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Looking over their shoulder from who? Oilers? When they have Bouchard and Draisaitl to re sign? Lmao
From everyone. The Blues just announced to the league that they think offer sheets are perfectly reasonable and a completely normal way of lowball acquiring young talents.

whenever the Blues get around to drafting and developing any such young talents, it's open season. And not just from Edmonton.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Grammer shaming looks bad on you.

And? Who are the better players?
That’s undecided. Holloway got a ton of time to show his worth and play with talent with little to show for it. Broberg looks good at times but the numbers don’t seem to match.
Podkolzin struggled and Emberson had good numbers in a bad situation.

One duo costs 2 mil the other 7. So unless Broberg and Holloway are 3 times as good next year, it’s not a bad trade off for Edmonton.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Oilers probably told St. Louis to add the 2028 3rd and Paul Fischer if not they're matching Broberg.

Now watch the Oilers say "f*** you" and match anyways. :laugh:

This is nothing if not entertaining.

• Haha
Reactions: Memento

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
From everyone. The Blues just announced to the league that they think offer sheets are perfectly reasonable and a completely normal way of lowball acquiring young talents.

whenever the Blues get around to drafting and developing any such young talents, it's open season. And not just from Edmonton.

Or maybe they just announced to the league don't be absolutely terrible at cap management and get your in-house items sured up before going out and spending over the cap if you really care about the in-house players.

It's been reported that Broberg had 3 different offer-sheets. I get that this is not fun for Edmonton fans. But this was very much a self-inflicted wound.

Stelmacki

May 2, 2017

I think it has more to do with St. Louis needing to move a contract with Broberg and Holloway coming in.

Grieving. It’s a process.

Dakine

Jan 30, 2024

Unless Kane was going to be on LTIR all year, there was no way to manage the cap hit when he returned. Even just matching Broberg would have been risky.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL

yeah, so many teams are gunning after Montreal. And Carolina. And whomever else.

If a young player is left open to an offer sheet, all teams should expect to have this be a possibility.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
how old are the oilers now.
top 3 oldest team in the league having lost their 2 youngest players?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
It's actually crazy to me that people are now saying that losing Ceci is going to hurt the Oilers bad. This guy was shit on for 3 years straight for his play in the playoffs sinking the Oilers. We also have people claiming he and Desharnais are the reason the Oilers PK was good? That's hilarious given that it was entirely the system and the aggressive sticks of the forwards that made it so good in the playoffs, the chemistry of the forward pairings, and people buying in at the right time. There's a reason why the PK wasn't that good in the regular season.

Reactions: dukeofjive
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad