Confirmed Signing with Link: Oilers decline to match offer sheets for Broberg and Holloway

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Pretty savvy stuff by Armstrong, and sticking it to that POS Bowman is icing on the cake.

I can't believe they didn't match on Holloway.

Hopefully this opens the floodgates for more offer-sheets.

NHL GMs need to stop being so damn predictable, safe, and boring and start being more shrewd and creative.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
In the Cup finals, Broberg was a +7 playing 17 minutes a game. His value came from being one of your better players in the playoffs.

His value would come this season by reducing the number of minutes you'll now put on Ekholm, Nurse, Kulak and Bouchard. 3 of which are 30 or more years old. Good luck getting to the playoffs healthy and with legs left after going deep into the playoffs and having a short off-season.
+/- is a terrible argument. Broberg had the worst numbers of any Oiler defender this playoffs. He formed a part of the statistical 2 worst pairings for the Oilers, Nurse-Broberg, Kulak-Broberg. Oilers fault for playing him on his off side, but not sure how much better he'd have faired on LHD considering how he's looked there in the NHL throughout his career.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
From a Montreal perspective,
What hurts in these scenarios is cutting short your hopes for a first rounder. KK was a 3rd overall, so we all had hope he would figure it out eventually. That offersheet meant we had to cut those hopes short. He was a failed pick for us. Even if he worked out later, he was still a fail for us.

I am sure Oil fans feel the same way, although they have more to look forward to and those guys weren't the most important pieces.

Nice to see a responsible and respectful post in this thread.

ColbyChaos

I am a made up country
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Forgot to mention that Boston is one of the best defensive teams in the league, and has* the best goaltending in the league. (Had)

See I’m well aware of my teams faults. I’m also aware of rival teams. Toronto had much better forwards than Boston, but that doesn’t matter if your goalie doesn’t stop anything.
You want to discredit what Edmonton has done by saying they got lucky with teams losing key players yet Toronto couldn’t even win vs the weakest Boston team in years that couldn’t score to save their lives and only had 2/3rds of a top line with porus depth.

The double standards and excuses when the leafs have won one playoff round since the 05 lockout is hilarious.

That’s very possible! They play in potentially the worst division in sports. Helps a lot

You can’t blame the Atlantic for your star players consistently shrinking when the pressure mounts. They couldn’t even beat a terrible Columbus team that lost Bob Panarin and Duchene the season prior. They were losing to everybody in round 1 not just the Atlantic division teams

Reactions: dukeofjive

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
The Blues just screwed themselves over. Kinda funny seeing their fans celebrate.

Good for the Oilers not matching. If they put these picks to good use, they can actually improve their blueline, rather than pay $4M to a kid who couldn't beat chumps like Kulak for a regular NHL spot.
buddy the Blues screwed themselves over on 9/27/20 when they let Petro go and signed a laughable little turd for big bucks.

what happened in this current situation was the Blues taking a calculated gamble with next to no risk. Blues are in a waiting period, which this move fits perfectly, the opposite of screwing selves over

Reactions: The Duck Knight

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
Should prove to be interesting with every expiring Blue contract .
Except the Blues don’t have two generational players and aren’t in cap hell?

buddy the Blues screwed themselves over on 9/27/20 when they let Petro go and signed a laughable little turd for big bucks.

what happened in this current situation was the Blues taking a calculated gamble with next to no risk. Blues are in a waiting period, which this move fits perfectly, the opposite of screwing selves over
They screwed themselves over panic extending Scandella and not planning for Bouwmeester’s replacement.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

LivingRentFree

Feb 18, 2007
Alberta
+/- is a terrible argument. Broberg had the worst numbers of any Oiler defender this playoffs. He formed a part of the statistical 2 worst pairings for the Oilers, Nurse-Broberg, Kulak-Broberg. Oilers fault for playing him on his off side, but not sure how much better he'd have faired on LHD considering how he's looked there in the NHL throughout his career.
I have a feeling that’s because of Nurse and Kulak, as well as playing the wrong side.

LivingRentFree

Feb 18, 2007
Alberta
You want to discredit what Edmonton has done by saying they got lucky with teams losing key players yet Toronto couldn’t even win vs the weakest Boston team in years that couldn’t score to save their lives and only had 2/3rds of a top line with porus depth.

The double standards and excuses when the leafs have won one playoff round since the 05 lockout is hilarious.

You can’t blame the Atlantic for your star players consistently shrinking when the pressure mounts. They couldn’t even beat a terrible Columbus team that lost Bob Panarin and Duchene the season prior. They were losing to everybody in round 1 not just the Atlantic division teams
They played a bad team once and lost. Other than that, every single first round matchup they have had has been significantly more difficult than any Oilers first round matchup. Tampa and Boston >>> the Kings.

They’ve also made the playoffs many more times in the same era.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Really hard to say they are cooked before seeing how they play next year, who knows maybe they make a few smart moves or other young guys step up.

They’re still going to be a playoff team and top offensive team however they lost important key role players especially on their PK which was their bread and butter last year and one of the biggest reasons for their success and reaching game 7 of the finals . Also defensively and throughout the lineup they got way smaller .

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Emberson could be decent but I feel pretty safe saying Podz won’t be better than Holloway.
Holloway wasn't good outside of McDavid passing some goals his way in the playoffs. He's more of career 3rd liner. Still better than any version of Podz right now. But who knows who ends up better.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
I have a feeling that’s because of Nurse and Kulak, as well as playing the wrong side.
Kulak was fine paired with Nurse on his off-side, Kulak-VD was a + xGF% pairing, Nurse faired wel; (+ xGF%) away from Ceci and Broberg playing with Kulak/VD. The two defenders on the Oilers playoff run that stick out as making nearly every pairing they're on worse are Ceci and Broberg.

Reactions: dukeofjive

HockeyScotty

Sep 11, 2021
Also overpaying so that you had to dump hayes as well.

2nd+2nd+3rd+3rd for Broberg and Holloway. Should have just negotiated with edmonton and got a more reasonable AAV
This is a fair point, but they might very well have tried and not gotten close to a deal; and felt the OS was their best chance to get them at a cheaper acquisition cost than what Edmonton had held out for. Perhaps it is Edmonton that "should have" adjusted their asking price in light of what happened.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Not so much surprised they walked away from Broberg because other than age I think he's your avg NHLer. But Holloway has me blown away. I think he has far and away the highest potential ceiling and think he's the player the Organization is the most upset to see go. I think Holloway is the player the team and fans will regret losing.

Reactions: ddawg1950

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Broberg didn't exactly sign a "cheap contract". It's a contract they Blues can survive with, but he gets double pay during his time. Possible advantage is next contract won't be a huge step up compared to what it would have been if he does well.
I meant they were on cheap contracts for the Oilers and reportedly Broberg was asking for $1.8 million according to Friedman.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
So what you're saying is having players at an inflated cap hit can be an inhibitor to acquriring players in the future??

So for example, Broberg and Holloway being paid 3.8 mill more a year than they were asking for could be an inhibitor of acquiring players in the future?
What tf are you carrying on about? Hayes is slow and doesn't fit their mold. The bigger mistake was bringing him in to begin with. You keep trying to look at these moves in a vacuum that doesn't exist and refuse to listen to any reason on the matter, which is either justification cause you're an Oil fan, or you despise the Blues maybe? Either way, Broberg and Holloway are both younger players that have NHL and Finals experience. Did they overpay? Sure, but another way to view that is they overpaid for younger players with experience using picks that may or may not be used on players that will have an impact down the line. Iow, those picks go young guys, they paid for their experience as well with the "overpay." Not sure where you're struggling.

Hayes is older and wasn't needed. Stop trying to shove all these moves into a vacuum that doesn't exist.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Perhaps to make a move for a better player in that position?
How? No cap, no good assets and who's even available.
Like let's say the flames were willing to trade Rasmus to you guys who's going the other way to make the cap work and what assets are going back that would beat other teams? keeping in mind any contract moved likely has no actual value. which drives up the price along with most teams rosters already set upgrading will be hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad