Confirmed Signing with Link: Oilers decline to match offer sheets for Broberg and Holloway

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Broberg... I used to tease the oilers for what a bust he was... But the guy looked excellent in the playoffs. Composed, good movement, good decision making. Like many of the Oilers towards the bottom of their roster, he excelled when the chips were down. It was surprising, but impressive.

Might he regress in St Louis? Certainly possible... but if he does maintain his playoff level play and becomes a reliable middle pair guy with his size and skating ability... The Blues just smoked the Oilers by stealing one of their young core pieces right as he made the jump. And this will go down as the best offer sheet ever done in the cap era. The Avs did this with Toews, but it cost them 2 2nd rounders and a higher salary back then vs the cap today.

Holloway looks like a career middle six guy to me. Good NHL size, speed with enough skill to make flash plays here and there but not enough hockey IQ to be a consistent 20+ goal scorer that is stapled to the 2nd line. He'll have a year here and there where he does get 25+ goals, but he'll also have months where he puts up 4 points in 14 games. To get him for a 3rd and $2.29MM is still a nice piece of GM work. He's just 22. And will be a RFA in two years.

Blues GM took the Oilers to the woodshed on this one. And the Oilers moves to grab a bust from Vancouver and a nonbody from San Jose aren't going to keep them level on talent.

As a playoff team, I think the Oilers are quite a bit worse than they were in June. Lost a lot of that playoff size, speed, forecheck and grit that thrives in a playoff setting. Replaced it with aging vets that score, but don't grind. And with injury prone nobodies.

The Oil must feel very confident they have Drai locked up to resign because this looks like a club that will take a step back in 2024-25. And then lose at least two key players in 2025 as cap casualties. It's gonna be awesome when it's clear they were two goals away from glory and that is as close as this core ever got as parity tears the team down.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Accrue cap space and try to get 2RD at the deadline. Like everyone else does.
Codi Ceci legitimately might be the best RD available at the deadline to edmonton, assuming Larsson won't waive for edmonton

They don’t get Broberg and Holloway at the prices you listed.
Those were quite literally Broberg and Holloway's reported asking prices on contracts

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think Broberg was worth the gamble to the Blues, but I wonder if they had offered 2 x $3.5m if the Oilers would have also declined to match.

LivingRentFree

Feb 18, 2007
Alberta
Your team couldn’t even win against a team with Charlie Coyle as their #1 C 🤡🤡🤡
Forgot to mention that Boston is one of the best defensive teams in the league, and has* the best goaltending in the league. (Had)

See I’m well aware of my teams faults. I’m also aware of rival teams. Toronto had much better forwards than Boston, but that doesn’t matter if your goalie doesn’t stop anything.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Once again.

hayes 50% retained=1.7 mill
Broberg asking price=1.8 mill
Holloway asking price=1.2 mill
Total: 4.7 mill AAV

Actual result
Broberg: 4.6 mill
Holloway: 2.2 mill
6.8 mill

Same players on the team, one ends with you having an extra 2.1 mill a year to spend on these future acquisitions you speak of.

Wasted money is wasted money regardless of where it is.

Dude, asking price isn't a 100% guarantee they sign those deals with the Blues. Maybe they hold out for an offer sheet from another team. Maybe Edmonton asks for a lot more than a 2nd and 3rd in a straight up trade. Maybe another team swoops in and grabs one or both in the meantime. Not sure why you act like your little theoretical has any bearing on reality.

We don't need any more future acquisitions right now, we're good.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
Those were quite literally Broberg and Holloway's reported asking prices on contracts
My point is Edmonton would have likely matched if they were offered that as offer sheets.

Edmonton low balled and the Blues took advantage of their cap situation.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Dude, asking price isn't a 100% guarantee they sign those deals with the Blues. Maybe they hold out for an offer sheet from another team. Maybe Edmonton asks for a lot more than a 2nd and 3rd in a straight up trade. Maybe another team swoops in and grabs one or both in the meantime. Not sure why you act like your little theoretical has any bearing on reality.

We don't need any more future acquisitions right now, we're good.
Again, you CAN offer a lot more in a trade. You can, for example, give the 2nd+3rd you gave to pittsburgh to edmonton instead

I would offer PLENTY extra in a trade to save 4 mill a year in salary.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
My point is Edmonton would have likely matched if they were offered that as offer sheets.

Edmonton low balled and the Blues took advantage of their cap situation.
They would not be offer sheets.

Once again, I am suggesting a TRADE with edmonton.

2nd+2nd+3rd+3rd+3rd+the prospect they gave up for Broberg+Holloway.

Edmonton gets more assets
St Louis saves money and gives up the exact same total assets

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Again, you CAN offer a lot more in a trade. You can, for example, give the 2nd+3rd you gave to pittsburgh to edmonton instead

I would offer PLENTY extra in a trade to save 4 mill a year in salary.

Did you read the part where I said another team could just sign them to the same offer sheet the Blues did? It's being reported that numerous teams attempted to do the same thing we did.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
The Blues just screwed themselves over. Kinda funny seeing their fans celebrate.

Good for the Oilers not matching. If they put these picks to good use, they can actually improve their blueline, rather than pay $4M to a kid who couldn't beat chumps like Kulak for a regular NHL spot.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Broberg was just too much of a gamble. Looked out of his element in 99% of the reg season games he's played over the last few years. Looked good in the playoffs, then you take a look at the numbers and he was completely out chanced, outshot, outpossessed, and was only buoyed by an anomalous OiSV%.

Reactions: dukeofjive

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Did you read the part where I said another team could just sign them to the same offer sheet the Blues did? It's being reported that numerous teams attempted to do the same thing we did.
I have yet to see any report of this.

But again, if you simply trade for them and meet their asking price, you don't have to worry about it.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Really not sure why some here think the answer to fixing Edmonton's D was paying Broberg 4.5M. His value comes from being a young cost controlled asset. If he's not cost controlled anymore....
In the Cup finals, Broberg was a +7 playing 17 minutes a game. His value came from being one of your better players in the finals. In lifting Nurse.

His value would come this season by reducing the number of minutes you'll now put on Ekholm, Nurse, Kulak and Bouchard. 3 of which are 30 or more years old. Good luck getting to the playoffs healthy and with legs left after going deep into the playoffs and having a short off-season. With now having a short handed roster missing a #4 and #5 defenders and replacing them with... check notes... yikes.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
They would not be offer sheets.

Once again, I am suggesting a TRADE with edmonton.

2nd+2nd+3rd+3rd+3rd+the prospect they gave up for Broberg+Holloway.

Edmonton gets more assets
St Louis saves money and gives up the exact same total assets
Why, though?

Edmonton would already be in a position of desperation.

Reactions: Memento

On The Prowl

Mar 13, 2024
Oilers are cooked !!

They lost arguably their 2nd best PKer after Ekholm in Desharnais and a big body that made it very difficult for opposing teams to establish net front presence or get a shot on goal .

Biggest loss is they are losing 2 of their biggest unsung heroes last year in the playoffs who helped them get to game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals in Holloway and Broberg. Holloway has put up amazing numbers in every league he has played in and only gotten better year after year and as a rookie looked tremendous. He's a gamer and big and fast and skilled.
Broberg same as Holloway performed amazing in the playoffs and is a young puck mobile dman at 6'4 212 lbs and has boat loads of untapped potential still .

Not sure if an unpopular opinion or not but Foegele is a big loss for them as well who performed above and beyond expectations in the playoffs with his relentless forechecking and great 2 way play . He is big and super fast and skilled who was also one of their best PKers as well . There were many times he created offense all by himself and secondary scoring is huge and crucial in a long playoff run . NGL his speed and number obv had me mistake him for Mcdavid a couple times .

Wow Oilers have gotten smaller and less mean and are worse overall for it .
Really hard to say they are cooked before seeing how they play next year, who knows maybe they make a few smart moves or other young guys step up.

Dakine

Jan 30, 2024
Codi Ceci legitimately might be the best RD available at the deadline to edmonton, assuming Larsson won't waive for edmonton

I'm not going to predict TDL acquisitions in August. Maybe no 2RD available, but I'm pretty sure they can find an upgrade on Troy Stecher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad