Confirmed Signing with Link: Oilers decline to match offer sheets for Broberg and Holloway

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
You've literally lost your entire right side since July 1st. None of what has transpired, has been the right call.
I mean my God look at your Dcorp, it may be bottom 5.

I guess may as well get used to it once McDrai and Bouchard are eating 40 million in cap, along with that anchor in Nurse, there's gonna be a lot of bargain bin shopping.
The answer wasn’t paying broberg 4,5.

I agree our is D worse, but Broberg wasn’t going to be a big part of it this year or next.

What happened happened, and the answer was to move on from them. Cap flexibility and deadline adds are more important than a 3rd liner and 3rd pairing D. Broberg may become a top pairing D one day, but it wont be in 2 years.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
And if the money didn't matter why did Armstrong not eat 50% and save a 2nd round pick?

I’m not sure. You should ask him. Maybe the other team didn’t want him at 50%. Maybe he wanted to completely cut ties. Even though you seem to be implying you have the answer, we may never know.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
So what you're saying is having players at an inflated cap hit can be an inhibitor to acquriring players in the future??

So for example, Broberg and Holloway being paid 3.8 mill more a year than they were asking for could be an inhibitor of acquiring players in the future?
Hayes at his current cap hit is reasonable (Philly is still paying 50% of his salary).

And sure. But the Blues weren’t going to likely be able to acquire multiple players under 25 that can be long term solutions for contending with the cap space they had available. And the contracts are 2 years long, which coincides with when they should be contending.

Hayes’ contract was a roadblock to acquiring players who can be solutions that are in their prime for when the team is in contention. They’re lottery tickets. If both don’t work out, the cap space is open again and they move on to go after someone else.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
So what you're saying is having players at an inflated cap hit can be an inhibitor to acquriring players in the future??

So for example, Broberg and Holloway being paid 3.8 mill more a year than they were asking for could be an inhibitor of acquiring players in the future?

Surely you can see the difference between overpaying a washed up guy like Hayes and two young guys who haven't even reached their potential yet. Once again, what are you trying to prove here?

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Lmao. This is a horrible take. I hope you don’t think losing Foegele made us “less mean.” I like the player and all, but Arvidsson plays with way more tenacity and grit than Foegele. Foegele can write a masterclass on how to look physical on the forecheck without actually hitting the entire player. Thats not questioning the effectiveness, he’s a great forechecker, but he intimidates no one.

Would have preferred to keep Holloway, but I guess this was about cap compliance with the thought that Kane won’t be out for long.

When we traded Ceci I was worried because I figured we were matching Broberg. I like Broberg, but not at that money.

There are question marks with our D for sure, still hoping we got something brewing there, but explain to me how we’re cooked? Top PP, above average PK (Emberson will replace VD seamlessly), best top 6/top 9 in the league:

Nuge-McD-Hyman
Skinner-Drai-Arvidsson
Kane-Henrique-Brown

Yep, looks cooked to me.

Oilers did get way smaller especially their defense and key complementary players and that was my reference in which them being less intimidating/ less mean .

Offensively i agree you guys have the best PP in the league and a top 5 offense/forward group no doubt. I am not biased nor oblivious ever in any of my takes whether its about my team or a rival , no matter how much i hate the team .

As for being cooked what i meant by that comment was you guys might be good with your reference to your offense sure but you are not as deep nor have the important role players that gelled and fit perfectly last year on your way to game 7 of the Stanley Cup final and because of that I don’t see the Oilers winning or getting back to the Cup finals imo for a while .
Your PK was a very important part of your success and it’s arguably taken the biggest loss/hit alongside your defense .

So window closing = cooked .

Mikey71

Apr 3, 2005
What an awesome day! Thank you St.Louis and fans, you’ve done a wonderful thing today.

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Kulak
Emberson-Stecher

Gotta be bottom 3? 😂
Am I the only one why sees the irony of someone with your name talking about the Oilers D? Talk about living rent free. You likely want Oiler failure as much or more than Leaf success.

• Love
Reactions: LivingRentFree

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
From a Montreal perspective,
What hurts in these scenarios is cutting short your hopes for a first rounder. KK was a 3rd overall, so we all had hope he would figure it out eventually. That offersheet meant we had to cut those hopes short. He was a failed pick for us. Even if he worked out later, he was still a fail for us.

I am sure Oil fans feel the same way, although they have more to look forward to and those guys weren't the most important pieces.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Surely you can see the difference between overpaying a washed up guy like Hayes and two young guys who haven't even reached their potential yet. Once again, what are you trying to prove here?
Once again.

hayes 50% retained=1.7 mill
Broberg asking price=1.8 mill
Holloway asking price=1.2 mill
Total: 4.7 mill AAV

Actual result
Broberg: 4.6 mill
Holloway: 2.2 mill
6.8 mill

Same players on the team, one ends with you having an extra 2.1 mill a year to spend on these future acquisitions you speak of.

Wasted money is wasted money regardless of where it is.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Not bashing the Edmonton metropolitan area as I am sure there are fun things to do there, but St. Louis metro area has about 1.3 million more people than Edmonton.

The sleepy thing is a joke, another Oiler poster called it that in the first offer sheet thread and it stuck with me as being so stupid that it was funny.

The rest is also tongue in cheek, im not a fan of either team

On The Prowl

Mar 13, 2024
Congrats to the Blues on acquiring two solid players, they just didn't fit on the Oilers making that much more than they are worth. I don't see it as big of a loss to the Oilers like some of you, Broberg might become a top 4d and Holloway might become a 2nd liner in the future but who really knows.

Reactions: OtherThingsILike

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
Once again.

hayes 50% retained=1.7 mill
Broberg asking price=1.8 mill
Holloway asking price=1.2 mill
Total: 4.7 mill AAV

Actual result
Broberg: 4.6 mill
Holloway: 2.2 mill
6.8 mill

Same players on the team, one ends with you having an extra 2.1 mill a year to spend on these future acquisitions you speak of.

Wasted money is wasted money regardless of where it is.
They don’t get Broberg and Holloway at the prices you listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad