Confirmed Signing with Link: Oilers decline to match offer sheets for Broberg and Holloway

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Sure, for Broberg at the 1.8 mill AAV he was asking for it isn't enough in trade value

When you pay him an extra 5.6 mill total that changes the equation significantly.

Changing any players AAV by nearly 3 mill will significantly change their value.

And not just that, it depends on where a team is on the rebuild vs win now curve. Edmonton is a team in win now mode, they need good players, Broberg was still a depth player for them. The blues are in a rebuild situation, so they can wait on Broberg to develop over the next two years.

And it also depends on the cap situation. Edmonton needs cap room to add for this year plus sign two high end FA's after this year (plus McDavid two years from now). STL has no such cap issues and can afford a cap mistake over the next two years.

All in all matching Broberg could cost them bouchard while potentially hurting their cup chances this year. Matching for them was very risky.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
You think you did something here? Bro the Kings have been SPANKED and embarrassed themselves yet again with PLD.

Sleep well with your cup memories. You won’t see one more for a long, long, time.

Still 2 Cup memories more than you buddy . Sad your window is closing to witness a Cup with arguably 2 of the best players in the world . Sorry you will never witness your team win a cup

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
On the bright side the Oilers now have a reason to show up for the 2025 draft.

If Edmonton isn't in a situation where they're moving at least some of those picks at the deadline to address needs (likely on D) in anticipation for a cup run, then something has gone wrong.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Oilers brass made the right decision not to match considering their current cap structure as well as optics (multiple players took discounts to play here so overpaying 2 younger more unproven players may have caused a rift in the locker room). I thought they did a decent job in trying to fill the gaps that would be left by Broberg and Holloway given the circumstances. Shrewd move by Armstrong on this one as he caught the Oilers with their pants down. Other organizations around the league should take notes.

I still love what Skinner and Arvidsson do for your lineup, but in hindsight maybe one or the other, not both, would be better.

Fun off-season, Edmonton overextended a bit and Armstrong was the only one to notice/act on it.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Keep in mind that getting rid of Hayes is actually a positive, not negative for the Blues. So move negative Hayes and the money we're not paying him over to the Blues side of the equation.
The money saved from dumping Hayes (vs keeping him in the AHL where I am assuming he would be regardless) is already in the equation

Hayes in AHL= 2.4 mill cap hit x 2. Moving him then = approx 5 mill in savings.

You add 6 mill you took on in Joseph, down 1 mill total

And then you have overpaid Holloway by about 2 mill, and broberg by about 5.6 mill compared to what they were asking for.

In total, 8 mill.

If you want to take out the AHL component, 6 mill total

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
On the bright side the Oilers now have a reason to show up for the 2025 draft.
for now...there is a lot of time to go and they had a weak right side d before now with Ceci and Broberg gone and only Emberson back in...its worse.
So the Oilers brain trust will use those picks to shore up their forwards bottom 6 depth scoring.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Sure, for Broberg at the 1.8 mill AAV he was asking for it isn't enough in trade value

When you pay him an extra 5.6 mill total that changes the equation significantly.

Changing any players AAV by nearly 3 mill will significantly change their value.
If the Blues don't have cap troubles then it does not matter how much he is paid. They can't trade him for a year and since it was signed in August it almost guarantees 2 years of Broberg. If they end up in cap troubles we can point to this.

Until then no.

Bogey64

Feb 2, 2013
St Peters,Mo
I get it. Edmonton fans are saying way overpaid, and players will never amount to anything. But I also believe the blues did their homework on this one. I trust our blues scouts - management, and player development over the oilers any day of the week. I think they see something in both players. Edmonton is just a bit butthurt that the blues fleeced them!

Reactions: blueswede22

ColbyChaos

I am a made up country
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Still 2 Cup memories more than you buddy . Sad your window is closing to witness a Cup with arguably 2 of the best players in the world . Sorry you will never witness your team win a cup
You gutted your teams depth for PLD just to trade him a season later lmao kings don’t even have a window now

Reactions: dukeofjive

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Lost in all this is the fact that Paul Fischer is a very good prospect who has a good chance to be an NHL player IMO. Don’t let the “5th round pick” description fool you, it hurts to lose him and Edmonton will be very glad they got him.
Assuming he signs. I'm not saying he won't but you never know with college defence men, especially ones who are American born. Been burned by that as a Flames fan.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Awesome! Offer sheets should happen more often

Broberg is why they don't. You need both the cap and roster space, at the same time, to be able to try to offer an overpayment in an offer sheet that will get the guy to sign it.

The Blues are in that we're not going to win anything, but we also can't get rid of everyone yet spot, and they had enough to overpay for a couple years. If this was a Weber offer sheet, that's one thing, but it's 2 years, so if he isn't with it, who cares.

Plus it's the Blues. They've been doing this offer sheet thing more than anyone else for 30+ years.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
If the Blues don't have cap troubles then it does not matter how much he is paid. They can't trade him for a year and since it was signed in August it almost guarantees 2 years of Broberg. If they end up in cap troubles we can point to this.

Until then no.
Money still matters for teams. most NHL teams are not massively profitable, especially when they aren't winning.

Outside of a NY, TO, or MTL, the actual dollars spent matters to owners.

I can very clearly see this applies to the blues, since they paid a 2nd round pick to get kevin hayes off their books.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Allegedly, there were 2 other teams that sent offer sheets to Broberg.

I wonder what tipped the scales in our favor assuming the money offered by other teams was similar. The Steen factor, or perhaps the guarantee of getting plenty of ice time on a young up-and-coming team. I wouldn't be surprised if Steen's Swedish influence had at least something to do with it. He may know Broberg personally already.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
The money saved from dumping Hayes (vs keeping him in the AHL where I am assuming he would be regardless) is already in the equation

Hayes in AHL= 2.4 mill cap hit x 2. Moving him then = approx 5 mill in savings.

You add 6 mill you took on in Joseph, down 1 mill total

And then you have overpaid Holloway by about 2 mill, and broberg by about 5.6 mill compared to what they were asking for.

In total, 8 mill.

If you want to take out the AHL component, 6 mill total
Blues don't bury talent in the AHL unless they are really really bad for the team (Vrana for example) Blues will find them a new home

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
edmonton are better in the short term for not matching imo. 7m is a massive amount of cap space and broberg and holloway are in no way worth it right now

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
This may have already been explained in this thread but as a net result of all these moves (Podkolzin, Ceci/Emberson, RFAs), what is Edmonton cap situation to address the blueline...either with a healthy Kane or Kane LTIRed...?

How much wiggle room do they have now to go out and add a defender or two?

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
So why dump Ceci?

The glib answer is "because he's bad at hockey."

Realistically, the Ceci trade gives the Oilers about $2m additional flexibility for an in-season acquisition, and it looks like they don't have to put Kane on LTIR as a result of this series of moves. Someone who knows their team better might be able to give a more precise answer, but that's my best guess.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Money still matters for teams. most NHL teams are not massively profitable, especially when they aren't winning.

Outside of a NY, TO, or MTL, the actual dollars spent matters to owners.
I think we just have to agree to disagree.

2nd rounders have a roughly 15% to 17% of having a NHL career.

That's like 1 in every 6 2nd rounders.

Sure NHL teams are 'unprofitable' as they sell there team for a billion dollars and recoup all losses.

Broberg is a NHL defensemen Many Edmonton fans were pumped about his play.
Is he overpaid this year? Yes
Does that make him not a NHler? NO.
Did the Blues just get a asset worth more than a 2nd? Yes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad