Confirmed Signing with Link: Oilers decline to match offer sheets for Broberg and Holloway

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Also overpaying so that you had to dump hayes as well.

2nd+2nd+3rd+3rd for Broberg and Holloway. Should have just negotiated with edmonton and got a more reasonable AAV
They did get a 2nd from Ottawa taking on Mathieu. But yes they dumped Hayes and needed that 2nd back.

So it was a 2nd+2nd+3rd+3rd for Broberg Holloway and a 5th.

Or since they dumped Hayes and took Matthieu

2nd + 2nd + 3rd + 3rd + Hayes for Broberg Holloway Matthieu a 2nd and a 5th.

Honestly I like what the Blues got.

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I mean... broberg did only play 22 NHL games last season (12 reg and 10 playoff). I get the money incentive for him but it isnt like he earned it. Same idea for Holloway

Who said anything about him earning it? I just said it's painfully obvious why you'd sign with another team, if they're offering you 4.5 times what your current employer was (and in Holloway's case, about triple and a chance to renegotiate a full year sooner.)

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
So certain Oilers fans told us Broberg sucks, then he was good after Ceci trade, now can’t wait to see spin zone number 3. (not all fans I’ve seen some very rational ones as well.
He played well for a few games in the playoffs. In the other stints he’s been somewhere between unplayable and somewhat promising.

4.5m is way too much for him. He could become a decent player for sure.

He wanted out, he will get his wish.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
They did get a 2nd from Ottawa taking on Mathieu. But yes they dumped Hayes and needed that 2nd back.

So it was a 2nd+2nd+3rd+3rd for Broneeg Holloway and a 5th.

Or since they dumped Hayes and took Matthieu

2nd + 2nd + 3rd + 3rd + Hayes for Broberg Holloway Matthieu a 2nd and a 5th.
I included in hayes because the amount they cleared off him (about 5 mill buriable), is approximately what they overpaid on holloway and brobergs ask.

So for example if they just traded for holloway and broberg and paid them their asks (1.2 and 1.8), they'd have been able to keep hayes (or send him down) and maintain the exact same cap/salary structure.

So basically: trading for Broberg+Holloway, not dumping hayes

is the same cap structure as: 2 offer sheets+dumping hayes.

Joseph doesn't fit into that

Reactions: dukeofjive

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
1724160329997.gif

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Oilers are cooked !!

They lost arguably their 2nd best PKer after Ekholm in Desharnais and a big body that made it very difficult for opposing teams to establish net front presence or get a shot on goal .

Biggest loss is they are losing 2 of their biggest unsung heroes last year in the playoffs who helped them get to game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals in Holloway and Broberg. Holloway has put up amazing numbers in every league he has played in and only gotten better year after year and as a rookie looked tremendous. He's a gamer and big and fast and skilled.
Broberg same as Holloway performed amazing in the playoffs and is a young puck mobile dman at 6'4 212 lbs and has boat loads of untapped potential still .

Not sure if an unpopular opinion or not but Foegele is a big loss for them as well who performed above and beyond expectations in the playoffs with his relentless forechecking and great 2 way play . He is big and super fast and skilled who was also one of their best PKers as well . There were many times he created offense all by himself and secondary scoring is huge and crucial in a long playoff run . NGL his speed and number obv had me mistake him for Mcdavid a couple times .

Wow Oilers have gotten smaller and less mean and are worse overall for it .

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I included in hayes because the amount they cleared off him (about 5 mill buriable), is approximately what they overpaid on holloway and brobergs ask.

So for example if they just traded for holloway and broberg and paid them their asks (1.2 and 1.8), they'd have been able to keep hayes (or send him down) and maintain the exact same cap/salary structure.

So basically: trading for Broberg+Holloway, not dumping hayes

is the same cap structure as: 2 offer sheets+dumping hayes.

Joseph doesn't fit into that
Hayes is 3.5 million and they essentially dumped him and got Matthieu instantly. I think it's completely relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad