Confirmed with Link: Oilers acquire Roby Jarventie and 4th round pick for Xavier Bourgualt and Jake Chiasson

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Posted earlier/elsewhere but better fit here...

Seems fitting to move Bourgault out with another later pick of their draft class. Oil move out of an opportunity to draft the top ranked goaltender. The value in this deal is likely the 4th round pick which becomes future trade collateral or lower odds Pacey's next OHL prospect in 2025.

I thought Chiasson was a decent gamble when taken. But injury hurt his development and his ECHL numbers are pretty marginal. Still decent size and some skill but a long way from being a potential NHL player.

Project for Project deal of two stalled players. Sounds like Jarventie is more shoot first project with good size and indifferent motor. Weirdly Button's player comp is Evander Kane.

www.tsn.ca

Roby Jarventie - Left Wing - TSN.ca

kchow
www.tsn.ca
www.tsn.ca

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Never should've traded down to begin with and to get a underwhelming prospect in Bourgault when the likes of Wallstedt and Johnston were right there for the picking was and remains the definition of stupidity.

Good job, JJ. Slowly dismantling the reeks of the Holland/Wright regime's terrible moves.
GL to Bourgault, but he's a prospect I won't miss.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Just from reading both fanbases, this is probably a nothing trade.

That being said we did pick up a fourth and Jarventie will still probably do more at an AHL level.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I was trying to make a lineup for that post in the Bako thread and my first two impressions were there wasn't a spot for XB and that they lacked size at LW. It looks like JJ thought the same thing.

I don't get this trade for Ottawa unless they're convinced Jarventie is going to get claimed on waivers.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I was trying to make a lineup for that post in the Bako thread and my first two impressions were there wasn't a spot for XB and that they lacked size at LW. It looks like JJ thought the same thing.

I don't get this trade for Ottawa unless they're convinced Jarventie is going to get claimed on waivers.

steve-staios_jo14-1.jpg

Staios must really like Bourgault is my guess.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

steve-staios_jo14-1.jpg

Staios must really like Bourgault is my guess.
Seems like Jarventie has his flaws and Staios probably doesn't think he can overcome them.

Seems both sides just trying to salvage something while they can. Granted I don't know that either Staios or Jackson should really care too much about saving face with the fan bases, but they kinda do here.

At the end of the day both sides will get a guy that maybe has a little more fire than they did with their old teams.

I do think for Bourgault this will left some of that whole pressure of being a 1st round pick and trying to live up to it with the team that drafted him.

Reactions: Broberg Speed

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

Staois is our double agent?

Reactions: nally

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Seems like Jarventie has his flaws and Staios probably doesn't think he can overcome them.

Seems both sides just trying to salvage something while they can. Granted I don't know that either Staios or Jackson should really care too much about saving face with the fan bases, but they kinda do here.

At the end of the day both sides will get a guy that maybe has a little more fire than they did with their old teams.

I do think for Bourgault this will left some of that whole pressure of being a 1st round pick and trying to live up to it with the team that drafted him.
Idk anything about the guy we acquired. Just was never fond of Bourgault's game. Wanted Wallstedt from day 1 that draft. Wright's a f***ing moron. Whoever gives him another scouting job will also be an idiot too.
Its hard to trust Staios after that Chychrun trade. I don’t know anything about Jarventie but JJ is cooking and Staios isn’t. Guess we will see.

Could be a red flag that was thankfully not taken from the organization. Thank God JJ is playing the waiting game to find the right GM for this team. Cannot afford a 3rd shit one in a row after the Chiarelli and Holland regime.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I haven't watched his highlights but based on what's written about him. Sounds like he's a Perlini

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

I thought he didn’t need waivers.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
For me this is probably the most encouraging thing I'm perceiving from what down last summer with the Jackson hiring, and Tyler Wright firing. I get the feeling the new leadership knew our drafting and development was absolute dog crap. We've changed head scouts, we've changed Presidents. With no effect on our drafting and development record really. I'm talking over 30 years.

Everything done by the organizations is a competition. And the Oilers have been in the bottom 10 in the league when it comes to drafting and developing since as long as these boards have been around imo. Don't want to drag this into a draft history debate but the Oilers record outside the top 10 is putrid.

I don't know if it's going to get better. Won't know for awhile. But it really couldn't get much worse imo. This is the most active I've seen management when it comes to what I feel is Identifying and acknowledging an issue. Then making steps to correct it. Here's hoping 🙏

Too often in the past I feel the organization failed to be honest with itself when it comes to drafting and development. Everybody is just such nice guys. etc.
They have not been too bad in the first round, but mainly because of an abundance of top 5 picks. Since I started watching in 2002, they took:

2003 Pouliot
2004 Dybnyk and Schremp
2005 Cogliano
2007 Gagner
2008 Eberle
2009 Pajarvi-Svensson
2010 Hall
2011 RNH and Klefbom
2012 Yakupov
2013 Nurse
2014 Draisaitl
2015 McDavid
2016 JP
2017 Yamamoto
2018 Bouchard
2019 Broberg
2020 Holloway
2021 Bourgault
2022 Schaefer

In 20 years one
1 generational player (McDavid)
2 star players (Draisaitl, Bouchard)
4 impact players (Hall, RNH, Nurse, Klefbom).
4 solid NHLers (Dubnyk, Cogliano, Gagner, Eberle)
1 meh NHLer (Yamamoto)
2 showing considerable promise (Broberg, Holloway)
5 busts (Pouliot, Schremp, PS, Yakupov, JP)
2 remains to be seen (Bourgault, Schaefer)

I guess 5 busts in 20 years is not that much, but some really hurt this team.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Stauffer says he has another year of exemption, but I thought he'd be at the age where he'd be eligible now.

Unfortunately Puckpedia doesn't seem to track waiver status like Capfriendly did.
He is only 21 (Thanks to @Spawn for pointing out my mistake.) so another year makes sense. But I also heard that he might miss all of the training camp so he will probably need the full year to get back to top form.

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
He is only 20 so another year makes sense. But I also heard that he might miss all of the training camp so he will probably need the full year to get back to top form.
He’s 21, turns 22 in August. His ELC started when he was 19 though so he has 4 years of waiver eligibility rather than the typical 3 you’d see from a 20 year old player coming out of junior. Last season was his 3rd year of AHL hockey so this year will be year 4?

I think at least.

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
My immediate reaction is one of annoyance. Still mad me did not draft Wallstedt. All I know about Jarvente is that he ends up missing games due to different injuries and that concerns me. That and the fact it was speculated he wanted to return to Finland.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
He is only 20 so another year makes sense. But I also heard that he might miss all of the training camp so he will probably need the full year to get back to top form.
IF we are talking about Jarventie he turns 22 in August and has been pro. for 3 seasons and is draft year +4. So yeah he does have one year left

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Oilers fans are so not accustomed to winning trades outright that we start to look for reasons why we didn’t win.

I remember when we traded Rieder to the Coyotes for some no chance prospect and we were struggling to find a reason why the trade was made. That’s what Sens fans are doing right now.

Reactions: Duke74 and Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad