Post-Game Talk: Oilers 4 Sharks 3 - Hitch a ride to McDavid

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Nice to see them respond to all the news and what not with a win. I didn't see much, I assume we'll see a more focused and competitive team going forward.

Also nice that McDavid is just the best. I assume that Hitch saw McDavid & Draisaitl in OT and was thinking "Nice, so basically automatic OT wins here"

as soon as vlasic missed pavelski with that pass in OT and the oilers got the puck you could feel the who SJ team sigh. game over

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Here I am, a wet blanket: there is just no way Hitchock had a measurable effect on the team's system last night. Maybe the team had some extra jump, but I'm kind of shaking my head at the notion that he came in like Mickey Mouse in Fantasia and started magically setting things right. The guy didn't even know players' names. I'd give it until after this road trip before making a judgement on his initial effect.
It's almost like there is more to coaching than setting-up a system and then calling it a season. Hitchcock is a more aggressive in-game coach, and we saw numerous examples of that against the Sharks (e.g., deployment of McDavid in the 3rd, instructions to the bottom-6, shift lengths, he even mentioned that he was coaching them hard on the bench).

I agree though that the long-term impact on systems and special teams play will take time to measure their effectiveness.

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008
The one thing I will say is that the oilers kept making boneheaded mistakes. Almost every time they made one, the sharks capitalized right away. Against good teams in this league you can't be gifting chances like that. The sharks made edmonton work for all of their scoring opportunities.

I hope Yawney bag skates the next dman to stick a limb in front of a nothing shot next game. The first goal was a direct result of Russell being more concerned with stopping the shot rather than covering the slot. In fact, the first goal only really happens because the shot partially deflects off Russell and Koskinen as a result can't coral the shot cleanly, leaving a rebound. Klefbom almost punted in an own goal on a shot that was likely going wide. Both of these instances are symptomatic of a defense that doesn't really trust their goalie. Gotta clean that up quick.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
The one thing I will say is that the oilers kept making boneheaded mistakes. Almost every time they made one, the sharks capitalized right away. Against good teams in this league you can't be gifting chances like that. The sharks made edmonton work for all of their scoring opportunities.

I hope Yawney bag skates the next dman to stick a limb in front of a nothing shot next game. The first goal was a direct result of Russell being more concerned with stopping the shot rather than covering the slot. In fact, the first goal only really happens because the shot partially deflects off Russell and Koskinen as a result can't coral the shot cleanly, leaving a rebound. Klefbom almost punted in an own goal on a shot that was likely going wide. Both of these instances are symptomatic of a defense that doesn't really trust their goalie. Gotta clean that up quick.

While I agree with some of this. I moreso agree with DeBrusk when he was saying that he suspects that Russell assumed they were playing a man to man system off the faceoff and Nurse though it was a zonal system off the faceoff. Thats why Russell chased his man and Nurse didn't collapse to the front of the net.

Either way its got to get cleaned up fast.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
While I agree with some of this. I moreso agree with DeBrusk when he was saying that he suspects that Russell assumed they were playing a man to man system off the faceoff and Nurse though it was a zonal system off the faceoff. Thats why Russell chased his man and Nurse didn't collapse to the front of the net.

Either way its got to get cleaned up fast.

According to Hitch they’ll fix it ASAP.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
as soon as vlasic missed pavelski with that pass in OT and the oilers got the puck you could feel the who SJ team sigh. game over
:laugh: not the first time we've seen that.

Question, if Spooner gets comfortable, do you role him out with McDavid and Draisaitl to really put the opposing team on their heels? Because he could just change after 30/45, and Klefbom or Nurse could come out and McDavid and Draisaitl could finish up with a defensemen

Reactions: Oilhawks

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Here I am, a wet blanket: there is just no way Hitchock had a measurable effect on the team's system last night. Maybe the team had some extra jump, but I'm kind of shaking my head at the notion that he came in like Mickey Mouse in Fantasia and started magically setting things right. The guy didn't even know players' names. I'd give it until after this road trip before making a judgement on his initial effect.

I'm really quite sure that everyone realizes this.

What he can and did have an immediate impact on is the way the game and bench was managed which is what most of the positive reception in this thread seems to be about to me.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Darnell Nurse with a team leading 25:04.

That's interesting in itself with the new coach seeing his usage.

Meanwhile our supposed topline of Larsson and Klefbom with several egregious errors.

Larsson gets walked like a rookie on a goal in 3rd period.

Klefbom actually moves his knee to deflect a shot off the crossbar. WTF. Who does that? The rule is if you can't block a shot get out of the way. Don't partially deflect it. Certainly don't try to stop a slapshot with your knee. I just don't trust his instincts. But several times in the game Klefbom was again a disaster at keeping the puck in Ozone. He's probably worst on the team at this and he's on PP continually. Also gave the puck away countless times with bad passes.

Meanwhile Rattie was benched last game but the new coach likes him. I wonder how long before the new coach figures out players like Lucic and Spooner and what they are doing.

Reactions: nightfighter

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
I think Hitch will have a huge impact. When you have a weapon like Connor you have to be able to gain tactical advantage over other teams. Loved his deployment to mess with SJ defensive aims. The Hitch, Hitch....Hitch is baa-aaack.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

Several of us have talked about it. In terms of system you don't see that rolled out for 1-2wks. But as far as influence that can be immediate. The one thing different last night was the team not panicking and I'm sure everyone of the players heard the same comments that Hitch made in interviews about the club getting off its game when something bad happens. So that last night was different and the club was more resilient, did not panic, came back in the game multiple times and got 2 pts. The system isn't Hitchcock, but influence was felt. A calming presence was felt.

One of the big drawbacks of having McLellan back behind the bench this year was all the uncertainty and chaos. McLellan projected worry about his job through really curious personnel management, overusing certain players, curious line pairings. The players won't say this but there were a lot of inconsistencies in McLellan world about earning it, would be impossible not to notice he picks favorites, and with a new coach you have a clean slate.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I'm really quite sure that everyone realizes this.

What he can and did have an immediate impact on is the way the game and bench was managed which is what most of the positive reception in this thread seems to be about to me.

Yeah I mean i think its probably foolish to suggest that Hitchcock did much with how little time he has had with the team.

To me though it did seem like he made some adjustments. The team got better and made less errors as the game went on. Maybe thats Hitch, maybe its not.

Still like the Lucic - Brodziak - Kassian line because I think its been obvious that Lucic just cant play with skill at the moment. I think he still has value to the team (but obviously hes not worth 6mil) but letting him grind it out rather than worrying about scoring, I think is the best approach for him.

Saw some tacticians work out there. As mentioned tried to get McDavid out there with Rattie, Khaira as we werent getting any PP time. I think he threw Deboer's game plan out the window a bit.

Nothing really crazy but after watching TM make no adjustments and lots of questionable decisions for 3 years, you just pick up little things that were done.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Several of us have talked about it. In terms of system you don't see that rolled out for 1-2wks. But as far as influence that can be immediate. The one thing different last night was the team not panicking and I'm sure everyone of the players heard the same comments that Hitch made in interviews about the club getting off its game when something bad happens. So that last night was different and the club was more resilient, did not panic, came back in the game multiple times and got 2 pts. The system isn't Hitchcock, but influence was felt. A calming presence was felt.

One of the big drawbacks of having McLellan back behind the bench this year was all the uncertainty and chaos. McLellan projected worry about his job through really curious personnel management, overusing certain players, curious line pairings. The players won't say this but there were a lot of inconsistencies in McLellan world about earning it, would be impossible not to notice he picks favorites, and with a new coach you have a clean slate.

I do agree about the calming presence. I still wonder with this team after what happened against in Anaheim in the 16/17 playoffs if the team just expects bad things to happen. McLellan just always seemed grumpy and not confident behind the bench which leads to chaos and uncertainty. Not to mention that honestly McLellan just doesnt make good decisions behind the bench which I am sure the players notice because often his decisions dont lead to positive things, so it makes it hard to believe in what he is preaching.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Larsson is inconsistent one? One bad take here. Jesus.

Yes, he’s been inconsistent this year. Spotty D zone coverage at times, lazy penalties at others. Yet he’s also been very good some games. That’s the definition of inconsistent.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
That's interesting in itself with the new coach seeing his usage.

Meanwhile our supposed topline of Larsson and Klefbom with several egregious errors.

Larsson gets walked like a rookie on a goal in 3rd period.

Klefbom actually moves his knee to deflect a shot off the crossbar. WTF. Who does that? The rule is if you can't block a shot get out of the way. Don't partially deflect it. Certainly don't try to stop a slapshot with your knee. I just don't trust his instincts. But several times in the game Klefbom was again a disaster at keeping the puck in Ozone. He's probably worst on the team at this and he's on PP continually. Also gave the puck away countless times with bad passes.

Meanwhile Rattie was benched last game but the new coach likes him. I wonder how long before the new coach figures out players like Lucic and Spooner and what they are doing.
Seems like he has figured out Lucic pretty fast. Screw him thinking about goals. Put him in a physical grinding, cycle line and have him find ways to positively contribute and not be a liability.

Reactions: WIOiler

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

I still can’t get over the fact that Hitch actually forced another coach to adjust first and basically made DeBoer throw out his entire game plan in the third period by double shifting McDavid like that. Those TOI numbers for Braun and Vlasic were ridiculous by the end of the game.

We have an actual coach here now, not just someone who stands behind the bench pretending to coach.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
It's refreshing to see a coach who is actually capable of making tactical decisions like line matching rather than just throwing lines out there in order from 1-4.

Reactions: Cypress

morningla

Aug 18, 2011
I mean I'd still take him, he's still probably at least Visnovsky good and Vis would be better any of our D right now. Just not at 11 million.

Can't believe we have to bring up Visnovsky as if he was an all star when we're talking about our current defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad