Proposal: Oil and the Note

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Blues fans. Do you let Perron walk in order to keep Husso or what would you do next year to clear cap?

mab894

Nov 27, 2017
Blues fans. Do you let Perron walk in order to keep Husso or what would you do next year to clear cap?
Heck if Husso helps us make a deep playoff run I would think Binnington would have to be moved to make space for resigning him. I know its not a super moveable contract and we would probably have to add (unless he starts playing well again) but I have full faith in Armstrong to make the right moves. I think Scandella will definitely be moved if not at the trade deadline then in the offseason for sure.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Tarasenko'sv trade request is still active. He's currently having a PPG+ year so they could get a decent hull for him. That would clear 7.5mil. Scandella should be traded, that's another 3.275mil.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Can you put a performance qualifier on a pick?

Like:

EDM trades 2nd round pick which becomes a 1st if
Husso has .915 or better save percentage in Edmonton in 15+ starts and Husso resigns with the Oilers.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

No, Husso will be paid more than we can afford. Perron is probably too integral to this team.

Tarasenko getting traded this off-season is the only way we can keep Husso and even then he may be priced out for what we can do if he doesn’t want a 1 year deal

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
If the oilers offered this the blues would have to heavily consider. However, it doesn’t help us with where our team is currently at.

Letting guys walk hasn’t been a huge deal for Armstrong as there’s always a way or plan to replace them. Husso walking isn’t a big deal tbh which I’d expect he will as he’ll probably get offered 4m for a couple of years on a prove it

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Jesus! His numbers looked like crap last year and this year he has a dozen good games behind a stingy Blues team. Now you want a first pick +??!? In what universe does he hold that kind of value?

Can we interest you in Cooper Marody for a 1st round pick? Sure, he’s only played one game this year. But he’s scoring at a clip of 10.2 pts/60 at 5v5. Sounds good? Fax the paperwork.
Hasn't Blues bled high scoring chances against this season?

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Hasn't Blues bled high scoring chances against this season?
I haven’t done a deep dive into advanced stats, but purely based on a couple games I’ve watched and the raw goals against stats, they are relatively stingy in my mind. Maybe my team not being able to play D worth a crap has skewed my perception.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
No, Husso will be paid more than we can afford. Perron is probably too integral to this team.

Tarasenko getting traded this off-season is the only way we can keep Husso and even then he may be priced out for what we can do if he doesn’t want a 1 year deal

Perron's slowing down and isn't currently a top-performing forward on the team. I'd love to keep him because he's still good and he should finish his career with the Blues, but Armstrong simply cannot allow his cost to prevent them from keeping someone more essential.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Husso likely returns what Corey Schneider got. A later 1st and B prospect seems reasonable

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Husso likely returns what Corey Schneider got. A later 1st and B prospect seems reasonable
Not going to happen. Schneider had about 100 games before the trade, and he was a former first round draft pick. His contract situation was also completely different than Husso's, who is UFA after this season. Schneider had two RFA years in his contract when the Devils traded him.

Reactions: banks

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Heck if Husso helps us make a deep playoff run I would think Binnington would have to be moved to make space for resigning him. I know its not a super moveable contract and we would probably have to add (unless he starts playing well again) but I have full faith in Armstrong to make the right moves. I think Scandella will definitely be moved if not at the trade deadline then in the offseason for sure.

Can you please explain this? As a poor oilers fan, this concept is foreign to me. Unless you meant wrong moves??

Meat on the Burner

Jan 24, 2022
Has to be some value in Edmonton's eyes based on the 750k price tag. He's as hot as any goalie in the league right now, which very well might not be sustainable, but Blues won't give him away. At least he'd give them a chance to make the playoffs in that dumpster fire of a division. Is Broberg for Husso plus a small add worth considering?

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Has to be some value in Edmonton's eyes based on the 750k price tag. He's as hot as any goalie in the league right now, which very well might not be sustainable, but Blues won't give him away. At least he'd give them a chance to make the playoffs in that dumpster fire of a division. Is Broberg for Husso plus a small add worth considering?
No. Hell no. If I’m dealing a prospect like Broberg I’d better damn well be getting a goalie with more than 12 good games to his name.

Reactions: TFHockey

Meat on the Burner

Jan 24, 2022
And term?
Fair enough. Just think Edmonton's in a tough spot with their cap this year and Husso (who is playing as well as anyone right now) solves that problem. Just not sure what other goalie options exist for them given the constraints. On St. Louis' side, there's no need to deal him unless they're overwhelmed. If the playoffs started today, he's their #1.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Perron's slowing down and isn't currently a top-performing forward on the team. I'd love to keep him because he's still good and he should finish his career with the Blues, but Armstrong simply cannot allow his cost to prevent them from keeping someone more essential.

Assuming Perron doesn’t ask for an absurd amount to return. Which id be very surprised if he did I’d venture to guess he’ll be back. Spending 4m AAV on a backup goalie just really doesn’t seem like a better fit than spending 5-6m on a top 6 winger.

I don’t disagree that he may be slowing down a bit. But if you look at his track record with us since his last contract it’s really hard to argue he’s not a top 6 guy still and a very good one. He’s been pretty plagued by the covid list this season so it makes sense his production is down a bit

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Fair enough. Just think Edmonton's in a tough spot with their cap this year and Husso (who is playing as well as anyone right now) solves that problem. Just not sure what other goalie options exist for them given the constraints. On St. Louis' side, there's no need to deal him unless they're overwhelmed. If the playoffs started today, he's their #1.

We dont need a goalie that solves our cap problem. We need a goalie that solves our goals against problem....

Meat on the Burner

Jan 24, 2022
We dont need a goalie that solves our cap problem. We need a goalie that solves our goals against problem....
Which Husso is doing as well as anyone right now. Completely agree it’s a short track record but I’m not sure there’s a better available option at the moment.

Reactions: mab894

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Which Husso is doing as well as anyone right now. Completely agree it’s a short track record but I’m not sure there’s a better available option at the moment.

Doing nothing is a better option than trading real assets for a goalie with 10 or 12 good games...

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Moot point. There's no way the Blues are dealing Husso when he is playing this well and Binnington is playing this badly. Binner allowed 7 goals thru two periods tonight, dropping his SV% to barely above .900 and his GAA up to like 3.20. Meanwhile, Husso has been perfect in relief (albeit against an offensive attack not needing to pressure much).

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Assuming Perron doesn’t ask for an absurd amount to return. Which id be very surprised if he did I’d venture to guess he’ll be back. Spending 4m AAV on a backup goalie just really doesn’t seem like a better fit than spending 5-6m on a top 6 winger.

I don’t disagree that he may be slowing down a bit. But if you look at his track record with us since his last contract it’s really hard to argue he’s not a top 6 guy still and a very good one. He’s been pretty plagued by the covid list this season so it makes sense his production is down a bit

I'm not just talking about his production. It's his feet, which is what happens at his age. He's been on the slower side for a while, but it's a notch down now. I'm not saying get rid of him, on the contrary. But he's not currently integral to the team and doesn't project ever to be integral again. You do what's reasonable to keep him, but you can't make moves from the perspective that he's integral.

Aug 10, 2015
Not sure which one, but I have to think the Blues are among the teams the Oilers are talk/have talked to?

Binnington/Husso/Lindgren/Hofer....seems like something has to give, though not sure what the Blues long term goalie plans are.

Reactions: BlueSeal

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Edmonton might be better off just trading a mid round pick for Lindgren (or similar goalie from another team). Acquire a semi-capable backup to take some of the pressure off Koskinen while Smith is hurt, but don't break the bank. Let Skinner develop properly getting plenty of AHL games. Address a more long term solution in net in the offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad