Offseason Roster Moves, Rumors, and Discussion

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
After a sub replacement level season Sillinger worked his way up to a little better than replacement level last year.

$1.5m x 2 should be enough, I'm not liking where Waddell is going with this one.

He was brought to the league too early and got destroyed for most of his NHL tenure. I suppose that is what history is, but I would think "good history" is what we're looking to reward.
Again, I don't see what you're seeing and it sounds like many with nhl or cbj connections don't either. No chance his contact is that low. None.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
My silly guesstimate for Sillinger's contract is 3 years at 16% better AAV than Johnson, so 3x 2.088M AAV. Less term less AAV, more term more AAV... A little bit of intangibles added to scoring (Sillinger actually scored at a better pace than Johnson last year). 4 years would take Silly to UFA I believe and that's probably not what the team wants, so I think 2-3 years makes the most sense. Let's see if I should add Assistant GM to my career path. :D

I see in Cole a future captain, a more of a serious voice similar to Jenner currently, and if that's with the CBJ (down the line, certainly post-Jenner and possibly post-Werenski) then it allows Fantilli to have a little more fun with his role and let that playful fire burn with passion for himself and his teammates.

That said I don't expect all of Marchy, Johnson and Sillinger to finish their new contracts with the CBJ.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
So let's say the season starts with Laine on the roster. No real order to these lines, roll whoever is hottest in the top 9. Chinakov or Laine could technically swap out with Marchenko. I know it might seem redundant, but Voronkov on Fantillis line allows them to play a little physical when needed but also allows Chinakov to get some open looks. Johnson can be act as the playmaker of his line and Silly with Danforth can help turn that 4th line into more of an energy line rather than a checking line, one which Brindley could rotate into as well.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Marchenko
Voronkov - Fantilli - Chinakov
Johnson - Jenner - Laine
Sillinger - Kuraly - Danforth

Brindley could certainly steal a spot either from camp or on injury call up at some point this year.

Werenski - Severson
Provorov - Gudbranson
Johnson - Jiricek

Tbh, not too confident on any of these pairings. I think we should be watching Jiriceks minutes and give him favorable matchups whenever possible and give him as much PP time that he can take. While allowing Johnson to "mentor" him.

Merzlikins
Tarasov

I'm sure I'm forgetting someone and that the lines won't look anything like this.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Because Laine might stay minimum the first part of the season, look at his thread, my lines (without unresigned Sillinger)

Jenner - Voronkov - Laine
Laine played best in the line with Jenner and Nyquist. He has great chemistry with Boone. Dima is a similar type of player like Boone just has better hockey sense, skill than #38. All of them played very good in defense. I think this line would be ideal against the opponent best lines.
Gaudreau - Monahan - Chinakhov
Yegor is a classic sniper with a hard shot, excellent forchecking/backchecking, fast, has excellent hockey vision, skill, speed. He would be a perfect fit to playmaker Gaudreau and Monahan. Sean would make all "black work", play in front of the net, on defense.
Johnson - Fantilli - Marchenko
Players have chemistry also Marchenko is more ideal to Johnson and Fantilli than Chinakhov. Although he is not so good in defense, plays better at the board, in the front of the net.
Danforth - Kuraly - Olivier
Bum-bum line :box:

WARNING❗ The first three lines should have equal time in 5v5 game to allow the team to take advantage of the high tempo. In addition, if they are lines and not individual players, they are all equally good.

The fourth line should play like a fourth line, and no more than even a second line, sometimes like a first line.

Same goes for the PP. Both Unit should have equal time and play in order.
---
Of course I can be wrong.

Reactions: CBJx614

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Because Laine might stay minimum the first part of the season, look at his thread, my lines (without unresigned Sillinger)

Jenner - Voronkov - Laine
Laine played best in the line with Jenner and Nyquist. He has great chemistry with Boone. Dima is a similar type of player like Boone just has better hockey sense, skill than #38. All of them played very good in defense. I think this line would be ideal against the opponent best lines.
Gaudreau - Monahan - Chinakhov
Yegor is a classic sniper with a hard shot, excellent forchecking/backchecking, fast, has excellent hockey vision, skill, speed. He would be a perfect fit to playmaker Gaudreau and Monahan. Sean would make all "black work", play in front of the net, on defense.
Johnson - Fantilli - Marchenko
Players have chemistry also Marchenko is more ideal to Johnson and Fantilli than Chinakhov. Although he is not so good in defense, plays better at the board, in the front of the net.
Danforth - Kuraly - Olivier
Bum-bum line :box:

WARNING❗ The first three lines should have equal time in 5v5 game to allow the team to take advantage of the high tempo. In addition, if they are lines and not individual players, they are all equally good.

The fourth line should play like a fourth line, and no more than even a second line, sometimes like a first line.

Same goes for the PP. Both Unit should have equal time and play in order.
---
Of course I can be wrong.
Just wait everyone will tell you, you are wrong. :DD:popcorn::sarcasm:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Just wait everyone will tell you, you are wrong. :DD:popcorn::sarcasm:
O.K. I have another suggestion (without Sillinger because he doesn't resign yet).

Chinakhov /23/ - Jenner /31/ - Laine /26 (great chemistry)
Johnson /22/ - Voronkov /24/ - Marchenko /24/ (one playmaker and Marchenko might use his shoot more than with Chinakhov on the line)
Gaudreau /31/ - Monahan /30/ - Fantilli /20/ (Adam can get used to play in NHL)
Danforth /31/ - Kuraly /31/ - Olivier /27/ (bum bum line) :box:

I don't want Gaudreau to play against the best opponent lines, ideally against third lines but if Fantilli plays center, against the second lines.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
O.K. I have another suggestion (without Sillinger because he doesn't resign yet).

Chinakhov /23/ - Jenner /31/ - Laine /26 (great chemistry)
Johnson /22/ - Voronkov /24/ - Marchenko /24/ (one playmaker and Marchenko might use his shoot more than with Chinakhov on the line)
Gaudreau /31/ - Monahan /30/ - Fantilli /20/ (Adam can get used to play in NHL)
Danforth /31/ - Kuraly /31/ - Olivier /27/ (bum bum line) :box:

I don't want Gaudreau to play against the best opponent lines, ideally against third lines but if Fantilli plays center, against the second lines.
The thing with Gaudreau is that he's likely going to always be designated as the #1, no matter who else is on the line because he's likely going to get the most TOI. Its not as big of a deal in the regular season, but home team gets the last change so if they see Gaudreau coming out, they are gonna get the matchups they want regardless.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

It was interesting that Danforth said that Boone stepped in to hold him accountable a couple times last year.

It doesn't fit how many of us imagine Boone.

Who does everyone see as our 23 player? Pyyhita, Malatesta or maybe TFW. Maybe even a FA or PTO.

With Cleveland so close by we might not carry 23. I don't think they'll want any of those three though. Malatesta they'll want to play and Pyyhtia and certainly TFW are pure AHLers.

It's funny we've had big convos each of the last couple years about not losing certain players to waivers, I'm not sure that will happen this camp. Don has thinned the herd.

Reactions: NotTooWideArena

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Who does everyone see as our 23 player? Pyyhita, Malatesta or maybe TFW. Maybe even a FA or PTO.
I have

Gaudreau-Monahan-Marchenko
Laine-Fantilli-Jenner
Johnson-Voronkov-Chinakhov
Sillinger-Kuraly-Danforth
Olivier

Werenski-Severson
Provorov-Jiricek
Johnson-Gudbranson
Christiansen

Elvis
Tarasov

Outside chance that Mateychuk beats out Johnson/Christiansen for a D spot but it sounds like Waddell wants him to start in Cleveland.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I have

Laine-Fantilli-Jenner
Olivier

Werenski-Severson
Provorov-Jiricek
Johnson-Gudbranson
Christiansen

Elvis
Tarasov

Outside chance that Mateychuk beats out Johnson/Christiansen for a D spot but it sounds like Waddell wants him to start in Cleveland.
I think Marchenko is worse than Chinakhov, also Kirill has good chemistry with Voronkov. Jenner never played RW so I would move him to LW, Laine to RW. Gudbranson together with Johnson, two old, slow d-men together . Erik has good chemistry with Provorov and Johnson might be to help Jiříček.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011

what an absolutely tremendous watch.

Talking lines at the beginning of August makes no sense to me but since you posted it...

The guy kinda lost me in the first thirty seconds with KJ91 playing on a line with Gaudreau and Monahan, two wingers who are more playmaker than shooter makes no sense to me. That RW slot on the top line seems more destined for Chinny or Marchenko.

This of course blows up his second line where he has the three Russians playing together. While I expect them to get some playing time together during the season, I think early last season when the line clicked we all thought we had something special and I think as the year progressed we realized they don't have to play together and were perhaps more effective on different lines.

And then that third line...let's put three guys who can all play center on one line: one with way more speed than the other two and not sure either can keep up with him and none of these guys has yet shown at the NHL level they are playmakers. So its great all three guys can score but who is getting them the puck?

IOW, I don't like any of his three lines. Have no idea who this guy is and not dissing him because I realize it's hard to dissect someone else's team you rarely get to watch but if that's the case perhaps he shouldn't do it. The local fans know you are full of shit and the general hockey world is more stupid for having watched the video.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I have

Laine-Fantilli-Jenner
Olivier

Werenski-Severson
Provorov-Jiricek
Johnson-Gudbranson
Christiansen

Elvis
Tarasov

If those aren't the 23 I'll be amazed barring a trade involving Laine.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Talking lines at the beginning of August makes no sense to me but since you posted it...

The guy kinda lost me in the first thirty seconds with KJ91 playing on a line with Gaudreau and Monahan, two wingers who are more playmaker than shooter makes no sense to me. That RW slot on the top line seems more destined for Chinny or Marchenko.

This of course blows up his second line where he has the three Russians playing together. While I expect them to get some playing time together during the season, I think early last season when the line clicked we all thought we had something special and I think as the year progressed we realized they don't have to play together and were perhaps more effective on different lines.

And then that third line...let's put three guys who can all play center on one line: one with way more speed than the other two and not sure either can keep up with him and none of these guys has yet shown at the NHL level they are playmakers. So its great all three guys can score but who is getting them the puck?

IOW, I don't like any of his three lines. Have no idea who this guy is and not dissing him because I realize it's hard to dissect someone else's team you rarely get to watch but if that's the case perhaps he shouldn't do it. The local fans know you are full of shit and the general hockey world is more stupid for having watched the video.
I posted in the KJ thread in the mains,

But the more I think about it, the more I think Laine on the first line with Gaudreau and Monahan COULD work. But it depends on Laine being open and Evason talking to him and getting him back into the shooter mindset. If Laine still wants to be the guy and carry the puck all the time, I'm not sure he's got a good fit here. But if he wants to be that dominant 30-40+ goal scorer, I think the first line and PP are perfect roles for him. But it's all about how sees himself and his mindset when he shows up to camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad