Theo Fleury vs. Ryan Getzlaf

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Both sort-of borderline Hall of Famer-types, neither in yet. Both right-shooting forwards. Both had 1 Cup win and 1 season-end All Star.

Who ya got?

Fleury
Points-per-game
6, 7, 7, 10
Goals
2, 6, 7
"Adjusted" (Hockey Ref.) Points totals
105, 100, 93, 92, 89, 81, 80, 77, 72

Getzlaf
Points-per-game
3, 6, 6, 8
Assists
3, 3, 4, 5, 7, 7, 8
"Adjusted" (Hockey Ref.) Points totals
96, 93, 93, 89, 82, 81, 77, 73, 71

They're pretty close, offensively.

Both were great in the playoffs, too. If we remove each's rookie year from their playoff histories, they're like this:

Fleury
68 points in 55 games (+6)
Getzlaf
113 points in 109 games (+15)

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
I saw this thought in another thread and immediately thought, "man, that's tough. I hope no one actually makes that thread because it's going to consume my increasingly smooth brain..."

I think this is one of those things where it's close enough where preference of style comes into play. Getzlaf played a slower, almost exclusively playmaking game -but he had a surprising shot, kind of like Thornton had a bit of a clap bomb too but they were so smart (too smart?) that they thought they could feed lesser players for goals. Getzlaf could check too. He was a tough customer. Modern tough because of his era, but he could have been really old school tough too. That's just his demeanor and attitude. The dude shoots snot rockets bigger than Fleury.

Fleury was a better rusher and finisher. He had a plucky, always-punching-up style to him that can be endearing in its own right. He also wasn't an idiot. Sometimes these worker bees have tunnel vision. His most famous goal - the OT winner in game of the '91 Smythe Division Semi-Final - is him reading Messier's attempt at a stop-up entry pass.

It's real close for me.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Fleury had excellent offensive instincts, was a very good puck-carrier, and was a skater and a sparkplug....but I definitely like Getzlaf better.

Getzlaf is a great foundational player, very smart, great playmaker, strong positionally.

Fleury could be more useful in some situations, though.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
This could've been a debate if Fleury was the big center and Getzlaf the small winger, but it's the other way around.

VanIslander

20 years of All-Time Drafts on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
A bug up your *** vs. an anti-peashooting sensei.

One can score. One can pass.

Abbott & Costello.

Last edited:

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
If Fleury hadn't spent the last 10 years making enemies everywhere he'd be in the HHOF. Being actively hostile to the voters doesn't do him any favours. For slam dunk players, ya they'll look past it. For "just in" guys, continually doing controversial things doesn't endear you to anyone. Wouldn't be surprised if he's inducted after he dies.

Getzlaf was better defensively and is well liked. He will get in.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Fleury if it's for a playoff run.
that was my first question and I had the other answer around.

I feel peak Getzalf playoff run, the one keeping his own against the RedWings is among the best of the non-greats playoff performer.

Put him with the 1999 Av's do they do worst than with Fleury ? And then I was not sure, Fleury is easier to plug and play on any team than an Getzlaf.... And kind of changed my mind, you build around Getzlaf and the random team at the trade deadline get Fleury....

Both were great in the playoffs, too. If we remove each's rookie year from their playoff histories, they're like this:

Fleury
68 points in 55 games (+6)
Getzlaf
113 points in 109 games (+15)

Getzalf 111 points in 105 games, +19, from 2007-2017 was 5th in the league, 2th in ppg

Crosby.: 1.11
Getzlaf: 1.06
Malkin.: 1.05

Fleury is (4th in ppg, 39th in points), and they were a lot of year first round numbers (which is a double edge too, higher scoring playoff hockey usually but faced really good team with the Flames standing). But Fleury playoff games would be 100% either 1996 and before the DPE or with the loaded Avalanche, and we compare him to people that played playoff hockey in 97-98.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Good comparison. I'd take Getzlaf if my goal is to win, though I like Fleury as a player more. Both were team Canada locks in a way that maybe seems hard to understand if someone was just looking back; both players were better than the numbers indicate looking back. Getzlaf had some Fedorov in him in that he coasted in the regular season, but he showed up when things mattered more and was elite. Fleury was inconsistent for other reasons. Getzlaf brings more than Fleury does defensively, plays a more valuable position, and is clearly a more stable presence to build around. Both were gritty players, Getzlaf more punishing Fleury more agitating.

I'd take Getzlaf but I'd be happy with either. Get them a LW with some brains and size and they'd be great linemates too.

Reactions: buffalowing88

Gorskyontario

Feb 18, 2024
I think I inspired this thread with my comment. I don't necessarily think Getzlaf doesn't deserve to be in. I just don't understand how he could possibly get in before Fleury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad