Offseason Roster Moves, Rumors, and Discussion

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Didn’t get a chance to hear the whole presser with Evason/waddell but no quotes suggest Waddell was asked about marchenko or the RFAs. If true, I am shocked.

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Didn’t get a chance to hear the whole presser with Evason/waddell but no quotes suggest Waddell was asked about marchenko or the RFAs. If true, I am shocked.
Todd Sharrock - said DW and DE would be available to the press for 1 on 1's after the presser. So I would expect the questions about Marchenko should/would come up at that time.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
At like a 4C competency? What's that worth to us now when we have Voronkov, Jenner, and Monahan, and soon to be Fantilli that can all play center higher up than him?

Which isn’t bad for a guy drafted 3 years ago. There are 3 guys drafted after Sillinger who have even played half a season in the NHL - Wyatt Johnston, JJ Moser, and Matthew Knies. So he is far from a finished product. You judge him like he is a finished product, not a 21 year old.

Again, he has actually done it. Yes, you don’t like his game as you repeatedly say. However, other young players are people you are projecting as a center instead of an actually proven centers. As I see it, we have Jenner, Monahan, Sillinger, and Kuraly (who is in the last year of his contract and likely gone at the trade deadline) at center. Then a bunch of maybes.

Voronkov needs to show more endurance. Fantilli is coming off a serious injury. KJ has very little experience. Lindstrom in in the WHL this year and probably nor starting off at center if he is in the NHL in 25-26.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Which isn’t bad for a guy drafted 3 years ago. There are 3 guys drafted after Sillinger who have even played half a season in the NHL - Wyatt Johnston, JJ Moser, and Matthew Knies. So he is far from a finished product. You judge him like he is a finished product, not a 21 year old.

Again, he has actually done it. Yes, you don’t like his game as you repeatedly say. However, other young players are people you are projecting as a center instead of an actually proven centers. As I see it, we have Jenner, Monahan, Sillinger, and Kuraly (who is in the last year of his contract and likely gone at the trade deadline) at center. Then a bunch of maybes.

Voronkov needs to show more endurance. Fantilli is coming off a serious injury. KJ has very little experience. Lindstrom in in the WHL this year and probably nor starting off at center if he is in the NHL in 25-26.
This feels like Jarmo's line of thinking which got Sillinger into the NHl at 18. Someones gotta do it.

Im curious what a multi year deal would be. Short one like Chinakhov or an actual deal with a lot of term

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
At like a 4C competency? What's that worth to us now when we have Voronkov, Jenner, and Monahan, and soon to be Fantilli that can all play center higher up than him?
It really depends on the AAV, he could takeover as the bottom 6 center when guys like Kuraly leave.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Have to say that Sillinger does seem like a bit of a lost soul at this point. You'd ideally want him developing at like 3C, but he'd need to force both Jenner and Voronkov to wing to claim that spot.

I don't think he'd get Monahan's or Fantilli's top 6 center spots, even if he scored lights out on preseason. Monahan has the veterancy they've looked for, and Fantilli carries the (potential) franchise player role

Reactions: majormajor

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Why would we want a multi year deal with Sillinger?
Because those that are actually the experts clearly see he's more than a plug. I know you and I don't agree on our evaluation of Sillinger so I'll just leave it at that. A 21 year old with 3 years experience that showed significant recovery and growth as a player and skater last year. He's valued by the club.

This feels like Jarmo's line of thinking which got Sillinger into the NHl at 18. Someones gotta do it.

Im curious what a multi year deal would be. Short one like Chinakhov or an actual deal with a lot of term
I, for one, hope it has some term behind it. If it's not 5 or more years than it needs to be 3 years to keep him RFA. I see him as a much better player with room for growth than many of you out there. Just my own take and opinion. I like a kid that shows the work to recover from an awful year and improve his game and the biggest knock...his skating.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Last year tired ass Voronkov had much better results than Sillinger ever has. Like Sillinger's xGs last year were still 44%, compared to Voronkov's 49%. Goalwise they both outperformed / got lucky by comparison, Sillinger at 49% goal share and Voronkov at 53%. By my eye there's a country mile gap in quality between these two players, Voronkov can make a good pass for one.

The idea that Voronkov is unproven at center and Sillinger is proven, and that this is some argument in favor of Sillinger getting a long term deal, is hard for me to fathom. They both played center last year and one was much better than the other. That's not to say that Sillinger can't improve, but right now he feels like our sixth best center.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Last year tired ass Voronkov had much better results than Sillinger ever has. Like Sillinger's xGs last year were still 44%, compared to Voronkov's 49%. Goalwise they both outperformed / got lucky by comparison, Sillinger at 49% goal share and Voronkov at 53%. By my eye there's a country mile gap in quality between these two players, Voronkov can make a good pass for one.

The idea that Voronkov is unproven at center and Sillinger is proven, and that this is some argument in favor of Sillinger getting a long term deal, is hard for me to fathom. They both played center last year and one was much better than the other. That's not to say that Sillinger can't improve, but right now he feels like our sixth best center.
Voronkov is 23-24 years, Sillinger 20-21. Evason is an ideal coach for similar players, I think both will improve a lot.

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
They both played center last year and one was much better than the other. That's not to say that Sillinger can't improve, but right now he feels like our sixth best center.

Forgive me for being a Blue Jackets fan who has seen plenty of guys expected to be the next great center flame out (Jeff Carter, PLD, RyJo, Wennberg). You seem to want to bet the future on unproven draft picks with injury histories and an out of shape Russian that might not want to be here. Personally, I have no problem giving a 21 year old Sillinger a multi year deal.

I see Sillinger in the Jenner, Foligno mode which is the kind of guy every team wants. Hopefully a couple of other centers work out and Sillinger is our 200 foot third line center who is great in the locker room and does things like kills penalties.

This is how the guys compare in their third seasons after being drafted:

Sillinger 77g 32 points
Jenner 72g 29 points
Foligno 81g 32 points

I will point out that over the next few seasons for Foligno and Boone that their progression wasn’t linear. I’d say Foligno took a step forward in his 6th season after being drafted. Jenner took a big step forward in his fifth season after being drafted and then fell back a little. So if 21 year old Sillinger’s 4th season is similar to his third season or even a little worse, I am not going to lose my mind.

Anyway, the guy is a keeper.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Johnson is represented by hockey’s highest-grossing agent, Pat Brisson of CAA, while Sillinger is represented by Craig Oster of Newport Sports Management, Inc. Neither agent replied to the Dispatch's requests for comment.

“We’re not going to reach a (longer) deal with (Johnson),” Waddell said. “They’re not going to do a long-term deal at a low number and we’re not going to do the high number. We want what’s best for these kids, so we’ll do a shorter-term deal and play it out from there.”
Sillinger is a different story. He has already logged three NHL seasons and could sign an offer sheet that would force the Blue Jackets to match or allow him to leave for draft pick compensation. Given his relatively low offensive numbers thus far, it’s unlikely that an offer large enough to make the Blue Jackets accept a draft pick or picks would be extended.“His upside is still in front of us,” Waddell said. “That’s always hard to get in a longer-term deal, but I look for his deal to be at least (multiple) years, and hopefully that resolves (soon). Again, there’s no tight timetable on it, but we’ll get it resolved.”

Reactions: Xoggz22 and CBJx614

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Forgive me for being a Blue Jackets fan who has seen plenty of guys expected to be the next great center flame out (Jeff Carter, PLD, RyJo, Wennberg). You seem to want to bet the future on unproven draft picks with injury histories and an out of shape Russian that might not want to be here. Personally, I have no problem giving a 21 year old Sillinger a multi year deal.

Not supporting a long term deal for Sillinger is not betting the farm on Fantilli, Lindstrom, and Voronkov, lol. What risk am I taking? It's simply my analysis of the talent. Combined with Monahan, Jenner, and Kuraly I don't know if we'll have a spot for him. I don't expect us to give him the Kotkaniemi deal but I think it could end up being a Kotkaniemi type of situation where we can't figure out what to do with him.

I see Sillinger in the Jenner, Foligno mode which is the kind of guy every team wants. Hopefully a couple of other centers work out and Sillinger is our 200 foot third line center who is great in the locker room and does things like kills penalties.

If I saw that in Sillinger I'd be much more bullish in him. I think those guys have a big edge in hockey sense, skating, and passing.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
where we can't figure out what to do with him.

I expect a fairly cheap 3 year deal. It’s not like we are offering the Severson contract. And if we can’t figure out what to do with him (which is a great problem to have, but I don’t think we are anywhere near there yet) you trade him while he still has value. It isn’t rocket science. You get the deal done, and there is less uncertainty for other teams if a contract is in place and he is on the trade market.

Personally I barely remember Boone’s first full NHL season and I wasn’t watching much Ottawa hockey when Foligno was 20, so I can’t make that comparison. What did you think of 20 year old Foligno? Future 71 point scorer and team captain? Or are you comparing mid 20s Foligno and Boone to 20 year old Sillinger?

Last edited:

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I expect a fairly cheap 3 year deal. It’s not like we are offering the Severson contract. And if we can’t figure out what to do with him (which is a great problem to have, but I don’t think we are anywhere near there yet) you trade him while he still has value. It isn’t rocket science. You get the deal done, and there is less uncertainty for other teams if a contract is in place and he is on the trade market.

Personally I barely remember Boone’s first full NHL season and I wasn’t watching much Ottawa hockey when Foligno was 20, so I can’t make that comparison. What did you think of 20 year old Foligno? Future 71 point scorer and team captain? Or are you comparing mid 20s Foligno and Boone to 20 year old Sillinger?
IIRC his first full year was when he scored 30G as a winger..

Edit: I was way wrong, but he did lead all rookies in goal scoring with 16.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad