Offseason Roster Moves, Rumors, and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
What's really the best D addition you can hope for at this point of the off-season?

I'm not a Provorov fan so I'd like to see an upgrade at 2LD, but I dont know who'd realistically be a trade partner there. Outside ufas, Chychrun was the best known option

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
This was in the Sunday Gathering today:

Knowing that is very possible both make the team, and Laine is here with no trade (if he plays), here's what I'm thinking:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Marchenko
Laine-Fantilli-Jenner
KJohnson-Voronkov-Chinakhov
Sillinger-Kuraly-Danforth
Olivier

Allows Jenner to cover for Fantilli at center if necessary and take DZone draws. Theres at least two guys who can take faceoffs on every line except line 1. Also allows Laine to play on the LW which he prefers. If Laine is not here, either by staying in the program or trade, you can move Jenner to LW and Chinakhov up to line 2. Sillinger up to line 3, and Olivier up to 4th from scratches or open the door for a guy like Malatesta to make it.

D with Jiricek only:

Werenski-Severson
Provorov-Jiricek
JJohnson-Gudbranson
Christiansen

D with Mateychuk only:

Werenski-Severson
Mateychuk-Provorov
JJohnson-Gudbranson
Christiansen

D with BOTH Mateychuk and Jiricek

Werenski-Severson
Provorov-Jiricek
Mateychuk-Gudbranson
JJohnson

D with NEITHER Mateychuk and Jiricek

Werenski-Severson
Provorov-Gudbranson
JJohnson-Christiansen
??

From the team depth standpoint, I feel very strongly that at least one of these kids is making it this year with a big lean to Jiricek.
Gaudreau plays very good with Chinakhov, also Yegor is a sniper with excellent for/back checking and acceleration. Johnson has great chemistry with Fantilli, also remember how Marchenko played very good with Adam. Gudbranson player good with Provorov, somebody must pla in the net, let Jiříček plays with experienced Johnson. So if Patrik stays, my idea (years according year):

Gaudreau (31/32) - Monahan (30/31) - Chinakhov (23/24)
Jenner (31/32) - Voronkov (24/25) - Laine (26/27)
K. Johnson (22/23) - Fantilli (20/21) - Marchenko (24/25)
Danforth (31/32) - Sillinger (21/22) - Olivier (27/28)

Werenski (27/28), Severson (30/31)
Provorov (27/28), Gudbranson (32/33)
J. Johnson (37/38), Jiříček (21/22)

Tarasov (25/26)

P.S. please, let Elvis does not play here anymore. :bow:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Gaudreau plays very good with Chinakhov, also Yegor is a sniper with excellent for/back checking and acceleration. Johnson has great chemistry with Fantilli, also remember how Marchenko played very good with Adam. Gudbranson player good with Provorov, somebody must pla in the net, let Jiříček plays with experienced Johnson. So if Patrik stays, my idea (years according year):

Tarasov (25/26)

I like the lines.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I like the lines.
I'm just curious to see who of the Werenski, Severson pairing would play in front of the net. Those two certainly won't be , and Severson isn't Jones of the 2017-2019 seasons. :D I have a bad feeling we'd be better there. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
What's really the best D addition you can hope for at this point of the off-season?

I'm not a Provorov fan so I'd like to see an upgrade at 2LD, but I dont know who'd realistically be a trade partner there. Outside ufas, Chychrun was the best known option

Chychrun has a similar issue to Provorov - he wants to be this offense leaning top pair guy but we have to fit him into a well rounded middle pair role. I'd say we actually got Provorov closer to fitting that than Ottawa did with Chychrun, he wasn't good.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Don't sleep on Svozil. I know, not the sexy name and I don't think he's NHL ready, but he did just play on the top pair throughout the AHL playoffs allowing Jiricek to play his offensive game. He's a 200 ft player with decent size, good skater and good with puck distribution. I could see him playing well in camp and allowing Mateychuk and little more time in the AHL since he only had the cup of coffee in the playoffs (Granted he looked very good there too).

Just a name, not saying he should be it before all you rabid, jumpy, edgy doomsayers come at me... :D

(yes, the last sentence is a joke - I'll make sure I keep saying that since we have lost the ability to detect sarcasm even when it's pretty freaking heavy!)

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

From what I've seen and read, Chychrun wouldn't have been all that different from Provorov.

CannonFire1

Jun 22, 2023
I don't see an upgrade being available now. Roll with Provorov and hope for a good return at the trade deadline.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Don't sleep on Svozil. I know, not the sexy name and I don't think he's NHL ready, but he did just play on the top pair throughout the AHL playoffs allowing Jiricek to play his offensive game. He's a 200 ft player with decent size, good skater and good with puck distribution. I could see him playing well in camp and allowing Mateychuk and little more time in the AHL since he only had the cup of coffee in the playoffs (Granted he looked very good there too).

Just a name, not saying he should be it before all you rabid, jumpy, edgy doomsayers come at me... :D

(yes, the last sentence is a joke - I'll make sure I keep saying that since we have lost the ability to detect sarcasm even when it's pretty freaking heavy!)
I still believe in him too. I think the organizations plan is obviously to have Mateychuk take over for Provorov one day soon, and I hope they see Svozil as the guy who can take the 3rd pair spot away from JJ after this year.

Reactions: Xoggz22

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022

Tarasov (25/26)

I've been thinking that Chinakhov goes on the top line with Monahan and Gaudreau too. That could be a really fun line. I feel like Chinakhov might be on the verge of a breakout season.

I read somewhere that Johnson has great chemistry with Voronkov. But then again, almost everyone seems to have great chemistry with him. 😁

Reactions: majormajor

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
From what I've seen and read, Chychrun wouldn't have been all that different from Provorov.
A softer less defensively oriented version of Provorov.
Chychrun is 1 year away from good two-way results. I would have happily taken the same bet Capitals took. It's a gamble but the downside isn't far off Provorov, so there little to lose.

Provorov is below average defensively. Last time he was good was in 18-19 or 19-20 I think? I have zero hope he'll return to form

(I bet the offensive stats fell after December, but I don't have any proof)

Last edited:

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Brayden McNabb, Esa Lindell and Jamie Oleksiak are three shutdown d-men I hope CBJ would target in a trade. I would also suggest if they could get one of them, they move Provorov at the same time (not the same trade - although if that worked, great). All are highly regarded, short term contracts (maybe too short as only 1 year now that I think of it), but it could set a great example. Oleksiak is the most likely to be available as the other two are from Vegas and Dallas and unlikely to be dealt (although with Vegas you just never know). In addition I believe all have M-NTC contracts so they could reject coming to Columbus with only 1 year left. That's just who I think could be worth a little time to dig into for CBJ. Could even extend a year or two.

A longer term option (minus the fact GMDW clearly focused on this in the draft this year but they are 3-5 years out I suspect) I would target would be K'Andre Miller. Really unlikely target given the other D we have coming, but he's another that would fall in that category.

Error

Mar 11, 2017
With a bit of exaggeration, the future of Czech hockey depends on whether Svozil and Jiříček succeed in Columbus or not. They are not just one of many prospects for us.

Reactions: Goodman68

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Anyone else is concerned we have a glaring hole on defense and the UFA market was not the solution for it?

Are we hoping to trade Laine for a formidable d man ? Or we can expect another hockey trade ? Or sending picks and prospects for one ?

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Anyone else is concerned we have a glaring hole on defense and the UFA market was not the solution for it?

Are we hoping to trade Laine for a formidable d man ? Or we can expect another hockey trade ? Or sending picks and prospects for one ?
I think the consensus seems to be that we're likely continuing to look for a solution, but at the absolute worst we have a stop gap and it's going to give the kids an opportunity to seize a spot over a "weaker" veteran. If they can't do that, they aren't ready and we make a move during the season once things pick back up. Teams aren't going to be making moves until they can see what they have on the ice to know what worked and whose healthy.

We're in the middle of the dead season, we're not gonna see a lot of movement for awhile. Whoever we hire is gonna be headline news for the hockey world by the time it happens simply because there's not gonna be anything else to talk about.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think the consensus seems to be that we're likely continuing to look for a solution, but at the absolute worst we have a stop gap and it's going to give the kids an opportunity to seize a spot over a "weaker" veteran. If they can't do that, they aren't ready and we make a move during the season once things pick back up. Teams aren't going to be making moves until they can see what they have on the ice to know what worked and whose healthy.

We're in the middle of the dead season, we're not gonna see a lot of movement for awhile. Whoever we hire is gonna be headline news for the hockey world by the time it happens simply because there's not gonna be anything else to talk about.

I'm hopeful that the kids could be better than expected. But what our D group needs the most is probably not what they bring. They could be helpful, but what would be most helpful is a shutdown option. It doesn't even have to be a great shutdown D, just someone who makes sense to put out there up one in the final minute of a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad