Offseason Roster Moves, Rumors, and Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
He specifically mentioned a defenseman and "maybe" a bottom 6 forward to look at in free agency. Do they really need a bottom 6 forward? It seems to me that they have plenty of those unless they are moving a guy like Texier or Kuraly.

EDIT: Of course, the left side of the defense has a little bit fewer players than the right side. We'll see if they bring in a player like Brenden Dillon.
You can look at this two ways:
1. Tex isn't coming back because his potential contract is more than what you can get with a replacement level 4th liner.
2. We all love the "Danforth effect" but the fact is the guy is still undersized at 5'9" for a 4th line role.

We all expected a Defenseman, most likely a LHD3 Vet...Jake Bean you are the weakest link...good-bye.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
You can look at this two ways:
1. Tex isn't coming back because his potential contract is more than what you can get with a replacement level 4th liner.
2. We all love the "Danforth effect" but the fact is the guy is still undersized at 5'9" for a 4th line role.

We all expected a Defenseman, most likely a LHD3 Vet...Jake Bean you are the weakest link...good-bye.
Texier might be valuable in a trade too. So it's possible. Though I think option 2 is more likely.

Yeah, it's most likely he was referring to third-pair LD who can play on the PK. That's probably the most obvious missing piece.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Brenden Dillon is my personal preference for a FA signing. Big, mean, third-pairing LD in his 30s. Exactly who they should be targeting.
I have zero issue if they overpay for the man as he is what this team desperately needs right now. I would do a Gudbranson and slap down a 2 (Or hell even a 3) x 4.25 just to scare everyone off.

Last edited:

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
He specifically mentioned a defenseman and "maybe" a bottom 6 forward to look at in free agency. Do they really need a bottom 6 forward? It seems to me that they have plenty of those unless they are moving a guy like Texier or Kuraly.

Personally, my number one target for this free agency would be Matt Roy. Otherwise, Dylan DeMelo and Chris Tanev should be of interest. And they should at the very least give Elias Lindholm a look. Though I expect Boston, LA and Carolina, among others, will go after him and overpay.

EDIT: Of course, the left side of the defense has a little bit fewer players than the right side. We'll see if they bring in a player like Brenden Dillon.
Having reacquainted myself with what deals everyone is expecting, the only issue with a guy like Roy is that his deal might overlap with when Jiricek and/or Mateychuk start to break out. That's a big one. Damn that Severson contract.

EDIT: And the bottom 6 forward part probably comes from Laine leaving and players like Johnson and Chinakhov expected to move up into the top 6 consistently.

Last edited:

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus

Personally, my number one target for this free agency would be Matt Roy. Otherwise, Dylan DeMelo and Chris Tanev should be of interest. And they should at the very least give Elias Lindholm a look. Though I expect Boston, LA and Carolina, among others, will go after him and overpay.

I could see Jordan Martinook being a bottom-6 target. Still would need to clear out a logjam of forwards, though. But it would be nice to have more established vets than rely on Texier, Danforth, Olivier, etc

Having reacquanted myself with what deals everyone is expecting, the only issue with a guy like Roy is that his deal might overlap with when Jiricek and/or Mateychuk start to break out. That's a big one. Damn that Severson contract.

EDIT: And the bottom 6 forward part probably comes from Laine leaving and players like Johnson and Chinakhov expected to move up into the top 6 consistently.

DW’s brought up how there are a few contracts that need to be cleaned up. I wonder if Severson is still in the long term plan.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
I could see Jordan Martinook being a bottom-6 target. Still would need to clear out a logjam of forwards, though. But it would be nice to have more established vets than rely on Texier, Danforth, Olivier, etc
Ideally, I'd want a veteran leader type with grit to spare. Martinook is a good example of that.

DW’s brought up how there are a few contracts that need to be cleaned up. I wonder if Severson is still in the long term plan.
With that term, cap hit and the NTC, I don't see how Waddell has much of a choice in the matter. Unless Winnipeg or Toronto want him and Severson would really like to go there. Personally, I think Gudbranson is a potential target for a clean-up.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

I was wondering if we could swing Severson for Kadri. Start with swapping our first round picks. Throw in our 2026 1st. What else would we have to add? A Russian or two? Recent high pick not named Fantilli? But Severson has a no trade.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
I was wondering if we could swing Severson for Kadri. Start with swapping our first round picks. Throw in our 2026 1st. What else would we have to add? A Russian or two? Recent high pick not named Fantilli? But Severson has a no trade.
Don't the Flames have their top 4 right-handed defensemen in Andersson and Weegar? And that seems like a clear overpay for Kadri.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Wait....let me try to understand this, you want to trade for a 33 year old center with 5 years remaining that will actually be older than Severson when the deal is done, drop 5 spots in this year's draft, give up another 1st AND something else of value to move Severson after one year?

I mean I don't mind Kadri as a player but that is way out to lunch in my book. I don't see Kadri as the same level player in Columbus and he will decline quickly (he is already 33). I just want to understand the logic on why you would give so much. I just don't see the swap being that impactful short or long term and no way I give up assets like that to do it. Straight swap 1:1 like PLD and Keumper... I'm OK with that (though the money in Kadri's contract is escalating, not decreasing over time which might make it hard to move at the end as well ???)

KCbus

Someday, we’ll have an NHL team.
Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
I'm sure we could swing that. They'd probably send him over with candy and a stripper, for all you want to give them.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
We gave Severson an 8 year contract. There won't be a trade option.

He was okayish last year and has had better seasons before. You just hope for better play.

Think about it from Calgary's perspective. They're not good now, but they hope to be in 5 years. So why trade a 5 year bad deal for an 7 year bad deal? Maybe if you have a club that isn't good now but wants to be, and would unload a bad contract with shorter term for Severson? So like the Sabres and Jeff Skinner. But that's really bad near term for the Jackets.

Reactions: Indy18

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Wait....let me try to understand this, you want to trade for a 33 year old center with 5 years remaining that will actually be older than Severson when the deal is done, drop 5 spots in this year's draft, give up another 1st AND something else of value to move Severson after one year?

I mean I don't mind Kadri as a player but that is way out to lunch in my book. I don't see Kadri as the same level player in Columbus and he will decline quickly (he is already 33). I just want to understand the logic on why you would give so much. I just don't see the swap being that impactful short or long term and no way I give up assets like that to do it. Straight swap 1:1 like PLD and Keumper... I'm OK with that (though the money in Kadri's contract is escalating, not decreasing over time which might make it hard to move at the end as well ???)

He was okayish last year and has had better seasons before. You just hope for better play.

Think about it from Calgary's perspective. They're not good now, but they hope to be in 5 years. So why trade a 5 year bad deal for an 7 year bad deal? Maybe if you have a club that isn't good now but wants to be, and would unload a bad contract with shorter term for Severson? So like the Sabres and Jeff Skinner. But that's really bad near term for the Jackets.

I do wonder about Winnipeg and if an Ehlers/Severson swap would make sense. WPG gets long term cost certainty on a top-4 defender for a player that will most likely leave in a year and we get out from under an 8-year commitment and gain some flexibility. Some adds may be necessary, like a 2nd or 3rd rounder from our end or a prospect.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

Severson has NTC. And it is not fact he would want to play in Canada.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Severson has NTC. And it is not fact he would want to play in Canada.

He’s from Melville, SA which is a 5 hour drive to Winnipeg. I don’t see why he wouldn’t be interested in playing close to home. When he signed here, it was for the money and didn’t seem like location necessarily mattered.

Reactions: MAHJ71

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
With Texier seemingly being on the bubble with you guys in terms of roster fit at the moment, what is an organizational need that you would be targetting for him in a trade?

I've been a big Tex fan for a while, and he might be the type of reclamation project that the Habs continue to gamble on.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
With Texier seemingly being on the bubble with you guys in terms of roster fit at the moment, what is an organizational need that you would be targetting for him in a trade?

I've been a big Tex fan for a while, and he might be the type of reclamation project that the Habs continue to gamble on.
Tex gets moved, and only gets moved, as a value-added asset in a deal to move a large contract player, i.e. Laine., a a way to avoid retention. Personally would prefer we not do that, either.

Reactions: Xoggz22 and Eegs

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022

I don't think the Blue Jackets are in a hurry to move him, but long-term I've wondered about his long-term future with the team.

I can see him moved as part of a package for a top 6 C or a top-pairing RD. It is also possible he would be part of a quantity-for-quality trade with one of Johnson, Marchenko or Chinakhov for a high-end winger.

Reactions: Eegs

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Don't the Flames have their top 4 right-handed defensemen in Andersson and Weegar? And that seems like a clear overpay for Kadri.

If they are tanking, they might as well move the guy who will be UFA soon. What is the return for 2 years of Rasmus Andersson at a $4.5 million cap hit? It ain’t small.

Kadri, checks notes, had 75 points in 82 games last season. Have the Jackets ever had a 75 point center?

Other teams would say it is an overpay to get the worse contract. Severson keeps us from doing things like adding a right D on a few year contract. Kadri needs to be better than Boone Jenner has been for 3 years and he makes sense on the CBJ at his current pay.

Kadri and Severson almost even out on the cap hit. Kadri has a Cup. Then you have the savings on dumping unretained Laine. Use that on a 4 year Matt Roy contract with an over pay (4 x $6 or $7 million).

Improve at center. Bring in a veteran defensive right D. Actually save a million dollars or so in cap hit. I’d swap picks, give up a 2026 first and some more for that.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

That’s why we pay too much. It is the perfect draft to swap picks. Hopefully we are much better in 2026 in this scenario so we don’t have a high pick. It solves our two biggest problems if we use the Laine savings on a defensive right D.

It is all hypothetical because Severson wouldn’t waive his no trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad