Offseason Roster Moves, Rumors, and Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
There were already problems with Jiricek when he wanted to play in the NHL, but he was sent to the AHL. I can't imagine what the next season would be like, maybe even a trade request.

If I am the new leadership I sit down with Jiricek and tell him our goal is for him to become a #1 right D. I tell him exactly what he needs to be working on in the AHL to get there. I don’t blow smoke up his ass. I point out his current strengths and weaknesses. I apologize to him for anything that happened under the prior regime. I tell him if he works on the aspects of his game he needs to work on, everyone will be better for it. I make it clear that he might not be the first call up from Cleveland because we want him in Cleveland for a reason (long term development) and we aren’t going to treat him like a yoyo.

Reactions: cslebn and MAHJ71

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
If I am the new leadership I sit down with Jiricek and tell him our goal is for him to become a #1 right D. I tell him exactly what he needs to be working on in the AHL to get there. I don’t blow smoke up his ass. I point out his current strengths and weaknesses. I apologize to him for anything that happened under the prior regime. I tell him if he works on the aspects of his game he needs to work on, everyone will be better for it. I make it clear that he might not be the first call up from Cleveland because we want him in Cleveland for a reason (long term development) and we aren’t going to treat him like a yoyo.
I'm afraid it wouldn't help. Besides, I don't see what he has to apologize for.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I'm afraid it wouldn't help. Besides, I don't see what he has to apologize for.

When 4 young players last year (that we know of) expressed frustration with the old regime and wonder what is going on or whether they should be here, you apologize for the previous regime and explain the vision on the new regime. I’d make a dart board of a picture of Jarmo saying “Get a place” and put it in the Monsters locker room. I’d try to built up morale and say to the young players that the Jackets will do better with communications and expectations.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Any chance Waddel will try to swing a trade for Necas if he liked him? I'm assuming Necas issue was with Brind Amour(ice time). Or would it be the same in Columbus? Might not have room in the top 6?

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
There were already problems with Jiricek when he wanted to play in the NHL, but he was sent to the AHL. I can't imagine what the next season would be like, maybe even a trade request.
He's an RFA under contract so trade request means nothing. You tell him he needs to earn the spot, end of discussion. He's not any different from other prospects that are in the same position.

The old management f***ing around making empty promises is not relevant anymore

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
When 4 young players last year (that we know of) expressed frustration with the old regime and wonder what is going on or whether they should be here, you apologize for the previous regime and explain the vision on the new regime. I’d make a dart board of a picture of Jarmo saying “Get a place” and put it in the Monsters locker room. I’d try to built up morale and say to the young players that the Jackets will do better with communications and expectations.
He's an RFA under contract so trade request means nothing. You tell him he needs to earn the spot, end of discussion. He's not any different from other prospects that are in the same position.

The old management f***ing around making empty promises is not relevant anymore

I'm sure they told Jiricek what to work on, why he's not playing in the NHL. He lost, all his competitors played better. So unless a miracle happens and he recovers, if they want to send him to the AHL, I expect a trade request.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
To me that says we're gonna make a play for Lindholm or Reinhart.
Lindholm was pretty underwhelming during the regular season for the Canucks, he stepped up during the play offs, but I still have questions about him, I guess the idea might be to reunite him with JG

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009

To further quote this

Friedman thinks despite our roster being constructed by Jarmo, Waddell and co. want to build around the young players here. Friedman thinks we are going after centers (which is the quote above). However if there was a young player Friedman is curious about us moving is Kent Johnson, as teams made pitches for him last year.

The biggest decisions to be made short term are Pascal Vincent, and judging from the way Friedman and Marek talk they both seem to imply they think Vincent is moving on (this is my takeaway not what they said). They both mention how they feel badly for him since he got the job under unideal circumstances and then may lose the job in unideal circumstances too.

Friedman also wonders about the future of Laine here. Hasn't heard anything but just something he's keeping an eye on.

Marek counters with his curiosity is with Elvis Merzlikins. Friedman agrees it something to watch and heard that behind the scenes there was "some stress" between Elvis and his teammates last season. Elvis is an emotional guy and Friedman thinks it wore thin on some of the others. He wonders if its something that Waddell and co. think can be rectified or if they will just cut the cord and try to trade him despite not dealing in a position of strength.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I think the issue is probably more innate and not just a matter of the old regime not setting expectations properly. Some of these young guys think they are NHLers and telling them they are not is going to hurt no matter how you do it. There are no magic words, you're going to have to deal with gripes in any scenario.

Any chance Waddel will try to swing a trade for Necas if he liked him? I'm assuming Necas issue was with Brind Amour(ice time). Or would it be the same in Columbus? Might not have room in the top 6?

Necas was top 6 but he wanted to be a center and on the top PP.

Reactions: Viqsi

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
To me that says we're gonna make a play for Lindholm or Reinhart.
My first thought went to Lindholm as well. Checks a lot of boxes.

1. Experienced and has some playoff runs under his belt.

2. Right handed center, which we literally don't have one in the NHL. And our pool has very thin RH centers.

3. Played with Johnny.

4. Good two way center

Probably better as a 2C but can fill in on the 1C role while we wait for Fantilli to develop. Thats a pretty good 1-2 punch.

Would mean Sillinger, Voronkov, or Jenner moving to wing in the short term (or Fantilli starts on wing again). Which may be for the better anyway.

Biggest concern is Lindholm is about to be 30 and will probably want 7 years and around or above 8 million. That's pretty hefty for someone who only had 44 points this year.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
My first thought went to Lindholm as well. Checks a lot of boxes.

1. Experienced and has some playoff runs under his belt.

2. Right handed center, which we literally don't have one in the NHL. And our pool has very thin RH centers.

3. Played with Johnny.

4. Good two way center

Probably better as a 2C but can fill in on the 1C role while we wait for Fantilli to develop. Thats a pretty good 1-2 punch.

Would mean Sillinger, Voronkov, or Jenner moving to wing in the short term (or Fantilli starts on wing again). Which may be for the better anyway.

Biggest concern is Lindholm is about to be 30 and will probably want 7 years and around or above 8 million. That's pretty hefty for someone who only had 44 points this year.
It's definitely a lot of money for someone about to turn 30, the defensive play helps make up for it, as does a rising cap but...still a lot of money if he starts an early decline.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Thank god .. a new GM will do what Jarmo always talked about , but never did .. Lindholm, Monahan, Stephenson would all allow Boone to play wing where he belongs, and players like Chinakov , Gaudreau , Marchenko will all benefit . Either that , or they are planning on packaging some players to acquire a good #2 center .

Reactions: Toe Pick

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Friedman thinks despite our roster being constructed by Jarmo, Waddell and co. want to build around the young players here. Friedman thinks we are going after centers (which is the quote above). However if there was a young player Friedman is curious about us moving is Kent Johnson, as teams made pitches for him last year.
Why does it have to be this way. I'd be real sad about this.

I guess Chinakhov would be the first young guy I try to move, but maybe he doesnt have enough value in the market so it has to be KJ

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Why does it have to be this way. I'd be real sad about this.

I guess Chinakhov would be the first young guy I try to move, but maybe he doesnt have enough value in the market so it has to be KJ
Yes , he also went on to compare the situation to Lafreniere, Columbus would be smart to hang on to Kent Johnson ..

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Lindholm, Monahan, Stephenson would all allow Boone to play wing where he belongs
I do not know where this garbage myth came from but it needs to die. At this point it's right up there with claiming Laine is lazy and Fortnite-addicted - a crappy myth take used more to justify unreasonable expectations rather than due to any actual veracity.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I do not know where this garbage myth came from but it needs to die. At this point it's right up there with claiming Laine is lazy and Fortnite-addicted - a crappy myth take used more to justify unreasonable expectations rather than due to any actual veracity.
Boone is as much of a prototype center as you could find. But not a first line center on a good team.

I think some people conflate him playing too high in the lineup with him playing an incorrect position. He’s a center.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Boone is as much of a prototype center as you could find. But not a first line center on a good team.

I think some people conflate him playing too high in the lineup with him playing an incorrect position. He’s a center.
Oh, absolutely. Love him to death but ideally the only time he should be on the top line is when the real #1C is injured and he's filling in.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I think the issue is probably more innate and not just a matter of the old regime not setting expectations properly. Some of these young guys think they are NHLers and telling them they are not is going to hurt no matter how you do it. There are no magic words, you're going to have to deal with gripes in any scenario.

How often do we hear four separate incidents of players complaining about management in one season? That is incredibly rare. You can chalk it up to whatever, but I don’t remember that ever happening before. We know that JD was unable to work for months because of his back, so if he was the softer face of the franchise, he was out of commission.

Players not liking their usage or assignment to the AHL is incredibly normal. The fact that we heard about it with KJ, Jiricek, Chinakhov, and Voronkov is not normal.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
How often do we hear four separate incidents of players complaining about management in one season? That is incredibly rare. You can chalk it up to whatever, but I don’t remember that ever happening before. We know that JD was unable to work for months because of his back, so if he was the softer face of the franchise, he was out of commission.

Players not liking their usage or assignment to the AHL is incredibly normal. The fact that we heard about it with KJ, Jiricek, Chinakhov, and Voronkov is not normal.

I think the fact that we heard all about it might be related to the old regime, but perhaps it was most likely because the old regime had lost so much credibility in the last couple years that agents felt like they could exert some pressure through the public. If Simon Edvinsson's agent had tried that shit with Yzerman it wouldn't have gone anywhere.

I don't think the players feelings about it are going to be better now, I think it might be quieter publicly. Either way I hope we hold the line on Jiricek - if he needs another year then that is what he should get. And KJ wasn't ready for anything more than he got last year, we'll see if he's stronger and quicker this coming season. Chinakhov and Voronkov are older and ready for lift off, I hope they get a lot more minutes.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

Yep he’s an awesome center . 3rd line at best on most teams , more natural winger .. he played with some really good forwards and managed a whopping 13 assist last year.. also management has referenced more than a few times the move to wing to put less wear and tear on his back .

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Yep he’s an awesome center . 3rd line at best on most teams , more natural winger .. he played with some really good forwards and managed a whopping 13 assist last year.. also management has referenced more than a few times the move to wing to put less wear and tear on his back .
Boone is a #2C. Not a high-end one, but he's absolutely there. If your depth is so extensive as to have him as the third center on your team, you don't have "most teams", you have a probable Cup contender.

He's not a "more natural winger" however you attempt to spin it. He's good at that position as well, but that doesn't mean he's somehow Inherently Better there.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Boone is a #2C. Not a high-end one, but he's absolutely there. If your depth is so extensive as to have him as the third center on your team, you don't have "most teams", you have a probable Cup contender.

He's not a "more natural winger" however you attempt to spin it. He's good at that position as well, but that doesn't mean he's somehow Inherently Better there.
Yet they know Fantilli probably takes a big chunk of the #1 c this year , and the league knows they are looking for someone to slot in that #2 spot . If you want your team to finish bottom 3 in the league , you roll out Boone on your top powerplay and top2 lines as a center . He has a career high of 49 points , his 3rd season .. he’s not a good passer .. I love his attitude , his work ethic , but if the team was sold on him being a legit #2 center, they wouldn’t be rumored to be pursuing a #2 or 1b center

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad