Speculation: Offseason coaching thread: Should they stay or should they go?

Coaches:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Don’t disagree that Dubas hitching his wagon to Sullivan is insane but using the Devils as an example of a team that’s going all out for success because they hired Sheldon freakin Keefe is hilarious.

It's not because - it's what they've done / will do over the Summer. They are hiring/firing/signing en route to success.

Not hitching wagons to losers then watching the same shit unfold for several years without change. Big difference.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Knoblauch deserves the Adams. He went .703 since coming on. The Oilers, a historically bad defensive team in the McDavid era, were 5th in the league in goals against since the coaching change. Their offense was #2. Their PK was 7th. Power Play 3rd.
He completely turned it around. I'm not sure how much better someone could have coached that group.

Reactions: Andy99

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Knoblauch deserves the Adams. He went .703 since coming on. The Oilers, a historically bad defensive team in the McDavid era, were 5th in the league in goals against since the coaching change. Their offense was #2. Their PK was 7th. Power Play 3rd.
He completely turned it around. I'm not sure how much better someone could have coached that group.

Brunette IMO.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
"tonight's paid attendance is 18,858, thank you fans"

Meanwhile you can hear the conversation between two other fans across the empty arena and FSG continues to swim in money

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Not only do I not see why Jagr would leave his home to move back to Pittsburgh when he hasn't lived in the USA for years, but I also don't see any sort of role for Jagr in hockey ops that makes even a lick of sense.

Why don't they target actually proven options rather than nostalgia?

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

This is why the whole Mike Sullivan contract thing doesn't register for me as a reason to keep him. Sullivan would have been immediately scooped up by the Devils (or someone else) had he been fired this past off season or the one before. "FSG owes him blah blah blah and that's why he shouldn't get fired" was never a reason for them to keep him.

Dubas and FSG kept Sullivan because they like him and believe in him. And that's more disturbing than keeping him because of a sunk cost fallacy.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
The fact Sullivan even got a vote after this shitshow of a season just shows how dumb the people voting for these things are.
"Mike Sullivan did his part, the players just couldn't get it done"

They say every man has a breaking point. You can push any human too far and they will snap. I think if I heard that, that would be it for me.
Hopefully they’re hiring Jagr…for the power play…hell, get him on the ice for the PP lol…

Does he even want to live over here in the states? Dude has been back in Czechia for quite awhile now. Unless it's Euro scout or Euro player development, I'm not sure what it would be.

That said, whatever they want, I welcome him back with absolute open arms.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't know how Sullivan's contract works or if they'd be on the hook if they fired him, but FSG's worth a collective ~$10B--we're talking Jerry Jone "f*** you" money. The like $20-something million they'd owe him is like a fraction of a fraction of a percent of what they're worth. It was never about the money owed, whether they'd be on the hook or not. :laugh:

Reactions: Pancakes

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

This is why the whole Mike Sullivan contract thing doesn't register for me as a reason to keep him. Sullivan would have been immediately scooped up by the Devils (or someone else) had he been fired this past off season or the one before. "FSG owes him blah blah blah and that's why he shouldn't get fired" was never a reason for them to keep him.

Dubas and FSG kept Sullivan because they like him and believe in him. And that's more disturbing than keeping him because of a sunk cost fallacy.
Those people are idiots and making excuses for Sullivan. A big time opportunity was just missed and it WILL cost this franchise dearly, both financially and on the ice.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I don't know how Sullivan's contract works or if they'd be on the hook if they fired him, but FSG's worth a collective ~$10B--we're talking Jerry Jone "f*** you" money. The like $20-something million they'd owe him is like a fraction of a fraction of a percent of what they're worth. It was never about the money owed, whether they'd be on the hook or not. :laugh:
Unless there is something super odd in the contracts, I don't believe the league would accept a coach being under contract by two separate teams.

Again the whole "he has a contract extension so they cant fire him! Ze mon-nay!" was wrong and only stupid people believed it.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Yep. They like Sullivan. They believe in him. Nothing they've said publicly has contradicted that stance.

Sully has missed the playoffs two years in a row and not done anything significant in them for 6 years running now and there's still unwavering support for him and no hints whatsoever of discontent with the job he's done.

I'm honestly not even convinced there will be heat on him if the Pens struggle again this year. I think if that happens they'll just throw up their hands and say well the team is old we need to rebuild/restock the prospect pool - it's not Sully's fault.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Hopefully they’re hiring Jagr…for the power play…hell, get him on the ice for the PP lol…

They want Jagr to be an ambassador of sorts. He'll stay in Czechia but be a more frequent visitor to Pittsburgh for certain events and programs.

What are they waiting for to appoint a new assistant head coach?
Their preferred candidates may be head coach candidates, as well. Their preferred candidates may be determining whether to stay with their current teams or not. Or their preferred candidates may be still in the playoffs at some level.

There's no rush. An assistant coach isn't doing much this time of year.

Reactions: Andy99 and Freeptop

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad