Speculation: Offseason coaching thread: Should they stay or should they go?

Coaches:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
There's McDavid, Mac, Reinhart, Bedard, Point, Barzal, Suzuki, etc... Canada's weakness is not at Center.
If they lose to USA it's cuz of Sullivan, the D depth and goaltending. Winger depth is probably pretty close between the teams.
They're pretty even on C depth too.

I think USA is pretty easily the best overall roster. I don't think Sullivan is a bad coach in a new atmosphere with different players, I think for a short run he won't grate on players, and get some good performances out of them.

Reactions: Gurglesons

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia

I think USA is pretty easily the best overall roster. I don't think Sullivan is a bad coach in a new atmosphere with different players, I think for a short run he won't grate on players, and get some good performances out of them.
I would have taken the coach who just won the President's Trophy and is in the 3rd round, over the guy who hasn't won a round in 7 years.
But yeah, I guess it's possible Sullivan wins again. The roster can just carry him.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Matthew Tkachuk - Auston Matthews - Clayton Keller
J. Hughes - Jake Eichel - Thompson
Robertson - Larkin - Tuch
B. Tkachuk - Miller - Kreider

Hughes - McAvoy
Slavin - Fox
Sanderson - Faber

Otter
Helle

This team is so f***ing stacked.

Reactions: PensandCaps

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Matthew Tkachuk - Auston Matthews - Clayton Keller
J. Hughes - Jake Eichel - Thompson
Robertson - Larkin - Tuch
B. Tkachuk - Miller - Kreider

Hughes - McAvoy
Slavin - Fox
Sanderson - Faber

Otter
Helle

This team is so f***ing stacked.

Versus what..

McDavid - Crosby - Bedard
MacKinnon - Point - Reinhart
Verhaeghe - Barzal - Marner
Marchand - Schiefele - Suzuki

Morrissey - Makar
Chychrun - Bouchard
Theodore - Weegar

Hill?
Thompson?
Jarry?
I think it's gonna come down to goalies and the US has a big edge there. Only hope is that the top 6 for Canada can use brute goal scoring force to carry the team.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think it's gonna come down to goalies and the US has a big edge there. Only hope is that the top 6 for Canada can use brute goal scoring force to carry the team.

USA's defense is also insanely better. Having 3 of the top 5 defensemen in the game is simply unfair and who knows what Sanderson and Faber look like in 2026 after getting another season under their belt.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Lol what? We have the best goaltending and defense out of any of the major national teams and Crosby is going to be old as hell.
I hope you’re right. It’s not like I’m rooting against them.

It’s not Crosby I’m worried about. It’s McDavid, MacKinnon, Makar. Plus who knows what kind of player Bedard will be by then.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
It'll be comical how bad Sully will coach this team when he's distracted by coaching team usa.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Some news, although it's about WBS...

Friedman said on 32 Thoughts that John Snowden is a top candidate at WBS. Snowden is an assistant coach with Lehigh Valley who previously spent five years in the Maple Leafs organization. He was an assistant coach and later head coach for Newfoundland in the ECHL. He led them to the Kelly Cup title in 2018-19. He was later an assistant for the Marlies for two years in the AHL.

ThosePuckingPenguins

Apr 28, 2009
Pennsylvania

Friedman said on 32 Thoughts that John Snowden is a top candidate at WBS. Snowden is an assistant coach with Lehigh Valley who previously spent five years in the Maple Leafs organization. He was an assistant coach and later head coach for Newfoundland in the ECHL. He led them to the Kelly Cup title in 2018-19. He was later an assistant for the Marlies for two years in the AHL.
Not saying he isn’t a good coach because he very well could be but I would like to see some creativity from Dubas beyond “well he used to work under Dubas.” A lot of GM’s hire people they know, he’s not unique but he does tend to swing that way a lot.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Not saying he isn’t a good coach because he very well could be but I would like to see some creativity from Dubas beyond “well he used to work under Dubas.” A lot of GM’s hire people they know, he’s not unique but he does tend to swing that way a lot.
That's valid, but Dubas has received a lot of praise for how he handled the Leafs minor league operations. It was at the NHL level that he received any criticism.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

I don’t know much about him but resume-wise he’s got what we’d be looking for. Youngish, head coaching experience (and success) in the ECHL.

I remember he was Ryan Clowe’s assistant in the ECHL but Clowe had to step down mid-season to due lingering PCS symptoms, but the team never missed a beat with Snowden.

Personally I’d value major-junior coaching experience over the ECHL since the ECHL is far from a “developmental” league, it’s more of a “you’re here forever” league.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I don’t know much about him but resume-wise he’s got what we’d be looking for. Youngish, head coaching experience (and success) in the ECHL.

I remember he was Ryan Clowe’s assistant in the ECHL but Clowe had to step down mid-season to due lingering PCS symptoms, but the team never missed a beat with Snowden.

Personally I’d value major-junior coaching experience over the ECHL since the ECHL is far from a “developmental” league, it’s more of a “you’re here forever” league.
I think he's a classic "solid but unspectacular" candidate. A B or B+. If there isn't a home run hire out there, then someone who knows what Dubas' priorities are in an AHL team and who has had success as a head coach would certainly be a reasonable hire.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad