Official Tank Thread of the Toronto Maple Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Ask yourself this question. Why is Tampa a legitimate contender not giving in to pay him a max contract for him to become a UFA?

Stamkos is a great goal scorer 2nd best in the league behind Ovechkin but I personally don't view him in the caliber of player to be signed to a max contract further more if the Leafs do sign him I hope they make him a winger, stop wasting his talents and just realize he's Brett Hull 2.0 when he's at his best.

which is a problem, because he doesn't want to be a winger.
so it may not end well

honestly, I can see Lou doing some major shopping to make this team better . I just don't see them doing it on Stamkos.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
what were Nonis's immortal words? "I don 't care about years 6 or 7 ?"
Yeah, but that was never his issue. He couldn't make it work period. If the Leafs decided to go ahead and make a run for Stamkos then I'd like to think they were capable of making it work.

Man gambled on the wrong guys. Now I suppose the argument is whether Stamkos is the wrong guy, but darn it I don't think he is. It's a cap risk, but I do agree with the line of thinking that you can make it work. With the cap you just have to make your gambles in the right places.

I just think if Babcock can make this level of talent play, be nice to see what he can do with the young talent we've got coming and a guy like Stamkos.

Though I do feel odd even discussing it since he could be signed any time during the season and make this all pointless :laugh:.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
which is a problem, because he doesn't want to be a winger.
so it may not end well

honestly, I can see Lou doing some major shopping to make this team better . I just don't see them doing it on Stamkos.

Hey your preaching to the wrong person sister. I view Kessel as a more rounded offensive player as both don't have strengths as defensive players.

If this management didn't want Kessel who proved to be productive these past 6 years with not match talent next him and frankly make players on his line better offensive players do to his extremely underrated playmaking ability why would they want the one trick pony Stamkos at max contract?

I don't think it will happen... This will be a case of just how much Stamkos wants to play for his home town and we might end up seeing a true home town discount if he does become a Leaf. As for the fact he doesn't want to play the wing he would for Babcock;)

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
We r in the Stamkos thing again. Can we wait at least till draft day to bring him up again, if he is unsigned?

No point discussing him now. Beside, he might get traded and sign with that team. Would be funny if Stamkos gets traded to Chicago for their 1st rounder just so they could make another run.

OvenMittz*

Yeah I guess we should never sign anyone then. Because hey we might need that cap space in 7 years.

Hey look Crosby becomes available, nope can't do it, might need that cap space in 7 years. McDavid you say? Sorry can't afford that, 7 years time we might want some cap space.

Stamkos is an elite player, and it's not like he's past his prime, he's 25. With the way this team is shaping up for the future it would be a smart investment. But hey, who knows, we might want cap space in 7 years so lets never sign anyone.

:facepalm:

God this is cringeworthy.

WE ARE REBUILDING!!.. WE ARE NOT CONTENDING AND MIGHT NOT BE IN THE NEXT 3-5 YEARS.. STAMKOS IS GOING TO BE DECLINING BY THE TIME WE ARE READY AND WE WILL HAVE 11+ TIED UP ON HIM!

Why won't these fans just think!!:help:

OvenMittz*

Your plan has a serious hole in it. You are relying on not running into any cap problems in 7 years. ELC's last 3 years, after that, say sweet goodbye to any depth you could possibly have.

Prefer to be Edmonton? Actually I'd prefer to be like Chicago and LA and have lots of depth. You won't have any depth with a 11-12M cap hit player on the books. And you seriously want your highest paid player getting upstaged come playoff time? Yeah not gonna work.

This.

I don't know what he's thinking honestly, but its that mentality and lack of patience that got Toronto in this hole for the past 2 decades to begin with.

ELCs are gone.. Stamkos is starting to decline, and now we have to lose depth in our prospects because we decided to spend most the money on 1 player in our first year of a proper rebuild.. Great thinking buddy, Stick to NHL 16.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Again, I highly doubt Stamkos will get 10M, let alone 11-12M

People forget that Kane and Toews deals, were only signed under the assumption/prediction that the cap would be skyrocketed from the new TV deals.

That never happened, and there's been talk of the cap going down.

Salaries aren't going to increase. If anything, they'll decrease from the norm. How many players don't have contracts, that are serviceable NHl players? Plenty.

We aren't talking about 11-12M here. We're talking 9-9.75M

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
Columbus will be hard to out Tank.
I'm worried they are going to set new records.
Starting 0-7-0 ? Tank Dream.

Even Calgary 1-5. That's pretty hot streak as well.

Bernier is 0-3-0 ... so it's not Bernier's fault. Those early goals (first couple minutes) makes me better able to relax.

Feels Good man.

Swayze*

Bernier is 0-3-0 ... so it's not Bernier's fault. Those early goals (first couple minutes) makes me better able to relax.

Feels Good man.
ya we have some new tank commanders to battle it out with

going to be tough

NJ, Carolina, Edmonton, Columbus, Buffalo, Calgary, who knows who else might join the fight! Heck with this list we could finish 7th :pullhair:

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
Not saying that I'm an advocate for Stammer but to say its going to interfere with the rebuild in my opinion off base a little. And I'm assuming that we would be getting him for free (not in a trade but a UFA). He wouldn't be on the team this year. We would have the draft pic we'd have anyway.

Nylander, Kadir, Marner, Dion, Morgan, JVR, Brown, KK, Jake and next years 2 first rounders etc. Why not Stammer as well if the price if right? Having him would be a gift not a hindrance.

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
Plus if the team does better than expected and young players really come along being able to add a talent like stammer without sacrificing your future .

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario

Feels Good man.

yet were only 3 points ahead of Columbus and 1 point up on Calgary.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto

WE ARE REBUILDING!!.. WE ARE NOT CONTENDING AND MIGHT NOT BE IN THE NEXT 3-5 YEARS.. STAMKOS IS GOING TO BE DECLINING BY THE TIME WE ARE READY AND WE WILL HAVE 11+ TIED UP ON HIM!

In 3-5 years, Stamkos will be 28-30 and far from declining. Not to mention that signing Stamkos shaves years off the timeline. We'd be making the playoffs within a couple years of signing him and competing for the cup within a couple more. At which point he'd be 27-29, far from used up and washed out.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton

:laugh:

Anything else showing in your crystal ball?

Chicago signed Hossa to be what we would want Stamkos to be. A high end veteran with experience of being a dominant player and playing on good teams.

Same thing LA went and acquired Jeff Carter to do.

Even trying to improve this team you get people thinking if you sign anyone under the age of 25 you're not following 'the plan'.

Shanahan's plan is to bring in talent, whether it be 18 or 32, it can all fit into the big picture.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
In 3-5 years, Stamkos will be 28-30 and far from declining. Not to mention that signing Stamkos shaves years off the timeline. We'd be making the playoffs within a couple years of signing him and competing for the cup within a couple more. At which point he'd be 27-29, far from used up and washed out.

And can then start using our draft picks and young kids to fill holes, since by that point there should be many high end kids/picks on the verge of hitting the NHL.

It makes perfect sense except to those who think Shanahan is going to sit back and draft high for 5 years Edmonton style.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
The key to rebuilding is to draft well, develop well, stay flexible and be opportunistic. You have to make the right moves at the right time.

IMO this isn't the right time to take on a player like Stamkos.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
The key to rebuilding is to draft well, develop well, stay flexible and be opportunistic. You have to make the right moves at the right time.

I think players like Stamkos are of the 'you acquire them no matter what' calibre in hockey when they become UFA's.

Much like Chris Pronger was in his late 20's and 30's. Some players go beyond 'rebuilding plans' when it comes to their impact on the game. If you plan on winning within the next 10 years you'd have a tough time convincing most that passing on Stamkos in his prime is the way to do that.

He could be a 30 goal scorer for another decade. How can you turn that down due to timing? It's not like you can just make players of that caliber become available when you need them.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012

Exactly.
For a proper rebuild you don't do things out of order.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012

Shanahan would make an exception in this case. A 25yr old elite center from toronto is simply too good an opportunity to pass up.

#1 Stamkos
#2 Nylander

Trade Kadri & Bozak

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Again, I highly doubt Stamkos will get 10M, let alone 11-12M

People forget that Kane and Toews deals, were only signed under the assumption/prediction that the cap would be skyrocketed from the new TV deals.

That never happened, and there's been talk of the cap going down.

Salaries aren't going to increase. If anything, they'll decrease from the norm. How many players don't have contracts, that are serviceable NHl players? Plenty.

We aren't talking about 11-12M here. We're talking 9-9.75M

If he re-signs in Tbay I expect 10.5m or less (probably 10m). However, if he gets to FA I think he signs for 11+, he could easily get a max contract from some team. However, whichever team offers that max contact I doubt he'll be willing to take it as they're probably not the best team if they have that much capspace to spend.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline

Yes, because in 3 years he'll be the same age as Crosby is now. Crosby is clearly done, it's been a good career for Sid, but he's barely a #1C anymore.

:sarcasm: (in case it wasn't obvious)

If we sign Stammer, we're already on the upswing next year. We could easily have something like the following roster:

JVR - Stamkos - Nylander
Marner - Kadri - XXX
Komarov - Holland - Brown
Winnik - Gauthier/Carrick - XXX

Rielly - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Chychrun (I know he's a LHD, so maybe Gardiner goes on the right side... unless Chychrun can play either side?)

Still needs improvement, but that's a top line and potentially solid 2nd line.

To be clear, it is unlikely he'll be signing in Toronto, but if we have the option to do so you take it and never look back.

Edit: I think Rielly could be a #1D, but can you imagine what adding an elite #1C (Stamkos) and another potential #1D (Chychrun) in one month would do for this franchise?!

Last edited:

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
Can the "We want Stamkos" group make a thread ?
This is the Tank thread.
People here don't want Stamkos, they want to Tank this year.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Can the "We want Stamkos" group make a thread ?
This is the Tank thread.
People here don't want Stamkos, they want to Tank this year.

You can still tank this year and sign Stamkos in the summer after this season is over, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad