OT: Official Sports Media Thread XI :Self-proclaimed ‘sports dork’ Michael Felger of The Sports Hub feels like he ‘will do this forever’

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
32 years ago this morning, September 3, 1991, Boston’s first fulltime all-sports format launched on then-Boston Celtics-owned WEEI 590. Weekday lineup: 6-10am Andy Moes, Suzanne Lee, Rob Buttery(news), Dave Shea(sports) 10a-1pm Dale Arnold 1p-4pm Glenn Ordway and Janet Prensky 4pm-7pm Eddie Andelman 7pm-11pm Craig Mustard/Celtics and Bruins broadcasts.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
32 years ago this morning, September 3, 1991, Boston’s first fulltime all-sports format launched on then-Boston Celtics-owned WEEI 590. Weekday lineup: 6-10am Andy Moes, Suzanne Lee, Rob Buttery(news), Dave Shea(sports) 10a-1pm Dale Arnold 1p-4pm Glenn Ordway and Janet Prensky 4pm-7pm Eddie Andelman 7pm-11pm Craig Mustard/Celtics and Bruins broadcasts.
Where does the time go…?

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Where does the time go…?
I have no idea

1693778382299.png

1693778852463.png

Last edited:
Reactions: sarge88

24giovanni

Aug 2, 2005
Fred Cusick doing a game from Montreal on a Saturday night in the 1970’s will never be replicated for entertainment.

I’m a Doc guy and he would come over to our foursome in loge 7 corner at old Garden in the 80’s? We were in our early mid 20’s and Doc was with the Flyers and looked 15 if you can believe it

I had no idea who he was beyond the broadcaster but he was affable and loved to chat - had I known his love for the 60-70 Pirates we would be texting today - I loved those Pirates as well.

so glad he called the 2011 Cup - some think he’s corny and aren’t fans but after Dan Kelly he’s up there

Gary Thorne was great as well and the late Tom Meese (Sp)

As for Sean one night me and my college roomie (still goes to 3-5 Bruins games with me) and friend of Sean went out with Sean & Lisa Guerrero (they were both living at Marina Bay in Quincy I believe) Lisa & my friend were yapping away and Sean and myself talked sports and stories for hours/ it was Nirvana…..he had great stories even back 30 years ago

My father also knew Wil a bit and at the old Garden even cruising through the lobby if I saw Will he would shoot the shit and talk like he grew up with you

One of my other college roommates and all around athlete also a Hingham kid friends with the McDonagh’s told me ‘just don’t play a serious game of tennis with Will’ lol
Hey Dan,

I use to work at marina bay in quincy. Use to go to the tent there and use to see Adam Oates there all the time. Was a GOOD GUY TO TALK TO TO ME.

Reactions: DKH

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Hey Dan,

I use to work at marina bay in quincy. Use to go to the tent there and use to see Adam Oates there all the time. Was a GOOD GUY TO TALK TO TO ME.
It was quite the place - not surprised about Oates. He’s one of the nicest people you could meet - hard to believe he’s an athlete

He was undrafted and was in early 20’s when signed with Detroit and was who he is by that time - he wasn’t a special player treated like a king from age 8 it just evolved through hard work and elite hand eye coordination and a mind that saw things differently then even professional players

Still pissed that hack Mike O’Connell called him out infront of his teammates

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Wow what a crew - those were days I could listen all day at work. They had Peter Gammons and Bob Ryan on weekly

We had Andy and his cohost Joe Cordero? Do their show around Christmas from our cafe at the federal building

Joe Cordero voice hard to forget and I ‘think’ he was on our North Shore station under different name for years

Suzanne Lee was not on WEEI long - what happened to her

Pre sports radio I’d listen to Mike Morin, Dan Roche and I can’t remember who women was - was it Sean Grande wife ?

Also after Morin show it was Curt Gowdy daughter who seemed stoned all the time

Would see Roche at Mobil in store DD across street often and if he was infront or on back of me chit chatted - remember grabbing the Herald waiting in line and opening sports page to see Felger pulled from Bruins coverage for calling Jeremy Jacobs a crook or something lol

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

24giovanni

Aug 2, 2005
It was quite the place - not surprised about Oates. He’s one of the nicest people you could meet - hard to believe he’s an athlete

He was undrafted and was in early 20’s when signed with Detroit and was who he is by that time - he wasn’t a special player treated like a king from age 8 it just evolved through hard work and elite hand eye coordination and a mind that saw things differently then even professional players

Still pissed that hack Mike O’Connell called him out infront of his teammates
never knew that about Oates. Thx for that/

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
@DKH - 25 years ago Sean could be a handful at closing time :lol:

Interesting comment he made about Doc Emrick - He said Doc had a phrase 'IT DIDN'T GO' which he would use if he wasn't sure what happened and I need a phrase like that. Announce booths in the NHL are far from the ice in the new buildings and that is the main reason Fred Cusick walked away from the Bruins but continued to work AHL games in Lowell and Manchester.

When Sean first started at TV38 he was doing DOG RACING

That Doc phrase became increasingly utilized as his career went on. It started to become a little too obvious what was going on when he was using it every other scoring chance.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
That Doc phrase became increasingly utilized as his career went on. It started to become a little too obvious what was going on when he was using it every other scoring chance.

@CharasLazyWrister - Watch a game on Level 9 at TD Garden and get back to me.

We had to fight tooth and nail to get camera positions at Fleet Center on the club level.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
@CharasLazyWrister - Watch a game on Level 9 at TD Garden and get back to me.

We had to fight tooth and nail to get camera positions at Fleet Center on the club level.

Oh yeah, I don’t know how any PbP announcer of any age can do what they do. To be able to call a hockey game without missing a beat for that length of time, even with a good view, is crazy.

It’s one thing to do baseball where there is a lot of time to just sort of sit back and chat. To keep up with a pro hockey game and make a good call is something else. Seems like an extended workout in a way.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site

BSJ Live Q&A: Donnelly on Bruins/NHL offseason - 3 p.m. Thursday, 09.07.23​

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Who is your favorite Bruins writer? Least favorite (perhaps leave Haggs out of this one)?

I think Ty Anderson is top notch, really enjoy his stuff.

Fluto, on the other hand...I used to really like his stuff with the Globe, but lately reading him is like watching paint dry. Dull.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Who is your favorite Bruins writer? Least favorite (perhaps leave Haggs out of this one)?

I think Ty Anderson is top notch, really enjoy his stuff.

Fluto, on the other hand...I used to really like his stuff with the Globe, but lately reading him is like watching paint dry. Dull.
Don't have one. I leave Haggs out of it. Fluto was only slightly above average in the first place and has gone the way of clickbait. Anderson is just okay to me. I do not get much out of him. The more I think of it, might be solid ole Conroy.

Reactions: mikelvl

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
There is absolutely nothing worse in sports talk radio then when guys call in to tell you about the same injury they suffered as a pro athlete. Or how they played sport x in high school/college. Maybe gambling talk is a close 2nd.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

They make him wait longer than he should, but Marchand is a HOF'er. He's a better version of Hossa (even if the media overrates Hossa to a painful level)

Marchand:

2x AS-1
2x AS-2
3,5,5,6 Top 10 Points
4,6,6 Top 10 Goals
5,8,10 Top 10 Assists
0.91 career PPG
0.88 career playoff PPG
9,10,10 Selke Top 10

Hossa

0x AS-1
1x AS-2