OT: Official FC Edmonton 2013 NASL Thread

chrisj

Mar 7, 2005
The season this year is split between spring (April - June) and summer/fall (August - October). I believe the primary reason is that the New York Cosmo's start play in August (I'm not sure why they couldn't in April...)

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
There were lots of people sitting on the other side of the stadium. I'm sure there would have been way more people if it wasn't for the chances of rain, which never happened during the game.

I just question the team claiming near sellout and then 30-40% of the people don't show up because of rain? I don't believe their claim I guess was my point; unless they are counting the free tickets that are out there.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I just question the team claiming near sellout and then 30-40% of the people don't show up because of rain? I don't believe their claim I guess was my point; unless they are counting the free tickets that are out there.

Well technically you can sellout a show and still not have anyone show up. The NHL doesn't count actually butts in the seats either. Something they were warned about when claiming they had such good ticket sales in some of the smaller markets.

stevieeatworld

Jan 2, 2009
Saskatoon
Long time no update!

The Eddies are currently 1-2-1 in the Fall season with a game coming up this weekend against the New York Cosmos!

1234965_10151801911709494_1621405725_n.png

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Long time no update!

The Eddies are currently 1-2-1 in the Fall season with a game coming up this weekend against the New York Cosmos!

1234965_10151801911709494_1621405725_n.png

haha

Not quite the verve, cache, or excitement that name used to elicit.

Those were good times in the former NASL. Playing at Commonwealth and against the big clubs.

Might be able to make it to this one.

chrisj

Mar 7, 2005
I've been impressed with the FC Edmonton product this year - especially in the fall season. Some fun games of late. If Fath doesn't give up too early and they keep building, they might be able to have some success attendance wise.

Comrade Blunderbore

Генерал Файлюра
Mar 30, 2010
КПЗ
i'd like to watch this game. is streaming available?

edit: wow, the Cosmos do even have European champion Marcos Senna. interesting.

Last edited:

stevieeatworld

Jan 2, 2009
Saskatoon
haha

Not quite the verve, cache, or excitement that name used to elicit.

Those were good times in the former NASL. Playing at Commonwealth and against the big clubs.

Might be able to make it to this one.

Wish I would of seen a few of those games. I'm going to spend the day watching highlights on youtube. I wonder if The Eddies will be wearing the throw back Driller jerseys this weekend.

I've been impressed with the FC Edmonton product this year - especially in the fall season. Some fun games of late. If Fath doesn't give up too early and they keep building, they might be able to have some success attendance wise.

I dont see fath ever really throwing in the towell. Especially after he just sank half a million into the new seats at Clarke. If he doesn't make his money back in ticket/merch sales im sure he will make some back in transfer fees and what not.

i'd like to watch this game. is streaming available?

edit: wow, the Cosmos do even have European champion Marcos Senna. interesting.

All games can be streamed at NASL.com on gameday!

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Wish I would of seen a few of those games. I'm going to spend the day watching highlights on youtube. I wonder if The Eddies will be wearing the throw back Driller jerseys this weekend.

!

They were interesting and heady times for soccer here and in NA. With teams like the fabled Cosmos actually playing here. But as part of league play. Imagine the excitement of the LA galaxy coming to town only more often.

The Drillers were a Dutch modeled and stocked club, but without the typical offensive verve one would find on such a club. They had trouble scoring on the big pitch and were better defensively afairk. Lodeweges played for quite awhile Kai Haskaavi (sp) as well. They had a few apparent name players but that had some trouble producing. My own take was that the Drillers reminded me of the before Gretzky Oilers of the WHA. A sometimes solid club on backend that had decent work ethic and would play a reserved game and make it difficult for opponents with more finish to get results.

What was interesting is that the same drillers club that had difficulty offensively, and that had trouble generating scoring chances on the big pitch were quite exciting, agressive, and competitive on the small indoor NASL circuit where they performed very well.

Drillers at the time were front page news at least in the Edmonton Sun, the new upstart paper, which treated the Drillers to full coverage from the outset. Really at the time, with the Oilers still being in the WHA, and the Esks being of course in the CFL, the Drillers were the only home based team to be in the big leagues. (NA version anyway) The view was the majors in a sense had come to town and thats how it was perceived. That generated a lot of excitement on its own as the NASL was perceived differently. As soon as the Oilers entered the big league NHL that advantage was gone.

Interesting times and so much changes. It being sad of course what happened to that dream and ultimately the whole NASL that fizzled out. America just wasn't ready and didn't have enough homegrown talent. That ultimately is what killed the NASL. Americans are more prone to viewing and following american athletes. So the current MLS version has a better balance.

stevieeatworld

Jan 2, 2009
Saskatoon
Drillers at the time were front page news at least in the Edmonton Sun, the new upstart paper, which treated the Drillers to full coverage from the outset. Really at the time, with the Oilers still being in the WHA, and the Esks being of course in the CFL, the Drillers were the only home based team to be in the big leagues. (NA version anyway) The view was the majors in a sense had come to town and thats how it was perceived. That generated a lot of excitement on its own as the NASL was perceived differently. As soon as the Oilers entered the big league NHL that advantage was gone.

Interesting times and so much changes. It being sad of course what happened to that dream and ultimately the whole NASL that fizzled out. America just wasn't ready and didn't have enough homegrown talent. That ultimately is what killed the NASL. Americans are more prone to viewing and following american athletes. So the current MLS version has a better balance.

This would have been a blast to witness. cant believe its taken soccer almost 30 years to catch back up to what it once was in USA/Canada.

If you are at the game tomorrow come on by section 107 (ESG) introduce yourself and ill buy you a beer!

UncleDal

Metal Thrasing Mad
Aug 8, 2010
Edmonton
That was a horrible call. The ball clearly didn't touch Watson's hand. It actually went up and hit him in the shoulder area. Sheena Dickson has made some very bad calls.

Besides that. 3200 people isn't a bad of a crowd so it was a pretty good atmosphere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad