Official 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
That NRD guy on Twitter thinks the Sharks jumped us to get Eiserman. I would've been fine with Eiserman but frankly a winger would need to be far and away the best player left at our spot for me to take him.
I haven't really thought about it but hopefully a defenseman is unexpectedly available like Parekh or Buium. That or Catton or Helenius is who I want at 12 now. Would be nice if Iginla was available or if Demidov falls and we can jump up and grab him.

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
So wait...your telling me we are in another new era already? Is the new era of orange over?

It's a TBT. That pic was last year's draft, which was about the same time they started in on this New Era of Orange branding. It's the same New Era as before (and damn if that doesn't sound exactly goddamn right for this franchise.)

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I’m generally not in favor of forcing a need anyway. But in theory with SJ they’re probably gonna be bad for the foreseeable future & you’re gonna be trading anything that’s not nailed down within next year’s deadline.

So I think you’re gonna have plenty of other opportunities to draft to defensemen in the coming years. So if you like Eiserman or any other forward to me even under the thought process of being need focused I’d still just take the forward if that’s who I thought was the best on the board.

I think he’s kind of mid at best but apparently teams around the league value Mario Ferraro pretty highly so that’s their big trade piece beyond their own first & Vegas’ first next year.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Sennecke and Yakemchuk are the 2 players to watch (and to a lesser extent Helenius). If those players are picked before the Flyers are on the board someone nice will have fallen
I believe that if the Flyers stay at 12 it'll be Helenius, Sennecke or Nygard. The tough things will be to extrapolate where each of these guys will be five years from now. I don't see Yakemchuk or Parekh, if they were to be available at twelve to be a more talented selection than one of these three so nabbing potential center here makes sense.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Drafting anyone because of their position in the first round is pretty dumb in my eyes... though I guess I understand going C or D over wing to an extent if you project them as very, very, very similar upside and likelihood of hitting it.

So many bad picks were because teams were drafting for "need" or an archetype.

Like, if the Flyers actually passed on say Parekh "because" they have Drysdale? I mean, Drysdale will be a UFA by the time Parekh is hitting his prime! And Drysdale is one of the younger guys on our roster.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

GQm-qY9XwAEk6d7

Oh dear.

Toe, Appleyard, God, or anyone else. Please tell me that growth and potential are in skilled areas.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
The first year of a rebuild where the goal is to get elite talent and walking away with Helenius... sigh.
I don’t really get this. Is Helenius really lacking elite upside compared to Iginla or Eiserman or whomever else? He might lack elite physical attributes, but he seems pretty intelligent as a player. It wouldn’t be very surprising to me if he became a top line player. He’s not a Sennecke or Yakemchuk-like pick where you’re only drafting him because you’re hoping he “puts it all together”.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Drafting anyone because of their position in the first round is pretty dumb in my eyes... though I guess I understand going C or D over wing to an extent if you project them as very, very, very similar upside and likelihood of hitting it.

So many bad picks were because teams were drafting for "need" or an archetype.

Like, if the Flyers actually passed on say Parekh "because" they have Drysdale? I mean, Drysdale will be a UFA by the time Parekh is hitting his prime! And Drysdale is one of the younger guys on our roster.
Sure. However whoever the Flyers take from the pot at 12 will have some nicks on their resume. If not they'd be a higher selection. Hypothetically if Parekh, Yakemchuk, Sennecke, Nygard and Helenius are on the table, since none of them have any great talent advantage over the others at their position, choosing a player at a position of organizational need makes sense.
If the Flyers don't fill that center position with guys that can play it in three years, Couturier will be on his last legs with no one ready to fill in as a top two line player. Then the club will have to overpay in a trade or FA signing to fill on the gap. We've seen this over the last decade with the Flyers on the blue line. It's been ugly. Position shouldn't be the driving force in making a selection but organizational depth does matter.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I am almost always the one talking about how individual prospects in general are overrated, but to me this is exactly what you can’t do if you want to be successful long term in a hard cap league. You don’t make A/B choices like this in a vacuum. One of those players is heading into his D+6.

In the broad spectrum of outcomes, you get a better career from Zegras the majority of the time. But not all of that minority is particularly close. Making the Catton pick is an attempt to buy that specific star equity. And it’s not just Catton outcomes that you’re getting. You’re buying 3 years of an ELC, then some RFA control, and the players/assets the differences in cap hit buys you in the next X years.

Well said. I would rather keep the 12th pick if Catton is there then draft the older, more expensive, injury-prone Zegras. If it were something around Farabee for Zegras, I would be a lot more interested.

Mike Grier jumping ahead of the Flyers as he schools them on rebuilding.

I mean, he's done a pretty poor job there so far outside of the lotto luck for Celebrini.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
I believe that if the Flyers stay at 12 it'll be Helenius, Sennecke or Nygard. The tough things will be to extrapolate where each of these guys will be five years from now. I don't see Yakemchuk or Parekh, if they were to be available at twelve to be a more talented selection than one of these three so nabbing potential center here makes sense.
I don’t think Sennecke is going to be there at 12 tbh. I think he was the 2nd leading scorer in the OHL from the midway point on and drafting is all about developmental curve. Some team will probably take a shot on him thinking that he’s put it all together and grew into his size, which may be true, thinking he’d go much higher on redrafts in the future. Helenius and Nygard seem fairly vanilla but I wouldn’t be surprised if one of them becomes a bonafide 1st liner. Still, I feel the Flyers will be leaving someone more promising on the table

My hunch is that Catton, Eiserman, or Yakemchuk is the pick at 12. All bets are off if they trade up to 7 or someone unexpected falls, which I think is really possible in this draft

Crazy that it’s tomorrow, time flies. Can’t wait

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
Well said. I would rather keep the 12th pick if Catton is there then draft the older, more expensive, injury-prone Zegras. If it were something around Farabee for Zegras, I would be a lot more interested.

I mean, he's done a pretty poor job there so far outside of the lotto luck for Celebrini.

He inherited the worst contracts in the league and has been getting assets for them. He’s not drafting Celebrini because he got lucky. He’s drafting Celelbrini because he got Pittsburgh to take that terrible Karlsson contract off of his hands and they gave him the 14th overall for the privilege.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
Toe, Appleyard, God, or anyone else. Please tell me that growth and potential are in skilled areas.
He's the guy I've seen the least of in my top 42. He seems really raw from what I've seen though. Not a huge fan of his defensive technique and his decision making was pretty inconsistent too. I'd be surprised if he made any huge leaps skill wise so I think he'd be more of a modern defensive #4 type if you work on his struggles, but that's it. There's probably gonna be guys like Freij and Fransen available at 32 or 51 that I have much higher than him too. Wouldn't be a fan, but I could be wrong :dunno:.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Feels like this is to jump us for Yakemchuk or Eiserman.
SJ has no clue how picks 6-10 will go. And no clue who Briere wants at 11.
Jumping us for 2 players sounds funny.

Tells me Buf wanted that deal done now to keep working on something.

SJ might have given away a 2nd for nada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad