Wangstar

Apr 2, 2023
What I would be happy, if we get. 1-12:Catton. 1-32, Henry Mews
If we get Columbus, 2-38, Yegor Surin, 2-51 Carter George
3, AJ Spelacy other 3rd, Ilya Nabokov, G, Magnitoskosk

Reactions: BernieParent

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
I don’t get how some people say we need to swing for the fences with guys with a high level skill set and then say they’d dislike a Yakemchuk pick.

Have you seen him play?? I don’t say this with any hyperbole, but his pick skills for a dman are the best since Dahlin. He has some warts to fix to be sure but make no mistake about it, his ceiling is sky high.

Reactions: Bender B Rodriguez

Tarpongg

#fakerebuild
May 26, 2012
I don’t get how some people say we need to swing for the fences with guys with a high level skill set and then say they’d dislike a Yakemchuk pick.

Have you seen him play?? I don’t say this with any hyperbole, but his pick skills for a dman are the best since Dahlin. He has some warts to fix to be sure but make no mistake about it, his ceiling is sky high.

Glad to hear that opinion. I don’t feel good burying the kid but I’m currently listening to the most recent Athletic podcast with Wheeler, Pronman, etc.. They are saying combine week was “not the best” for Yakemchuk. From the interviews to the athletic testing, lacks confidence in interviews and tested very poorly, particularly lacking lower body strength and agility.

One of them weighed in that he tested 33 of 35 in a recent prospect on ice testing.

Contrasted him with Solberg, who is rising and reminiscent of a Seider, both in personality and athletic testing.

Reactions: Nabrules

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

Ceiling is a nebulous term with wildly varying definitions to different people. Are we talking about 80th Percentile outcomes? 90th? 99th? At which of those thresholds does ceiling become worth swinging a draft decision at 12? Has anyone said they wouldn’t use the Florida pick on him or something I’m completely missing?

I’m going to gently suggest that you may be higher on him than most others given that you’ve labeled him the most skilled Defenseman in the last six drafts. This is a 6’3” kid generally considered to land outside of the top 10 or just inside of it while behind mulitple other D. And that’s fine. We’re all throwing darts. But the surprise is a bit odd.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011

This goes in hand with my expectation that Sennecke and Yakemchuk will prove to have been relatively underrated by your average fan-made mock draft.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

This goes in hand with my expectation that Sennecke and Yakemchuk will prove to have been relatively underrated by your average fan-made mock draft.

These forms of lines are reflections of public opinion.

Yakemchuk may go higher. I have no idea. The point is to help everyone understand why we need to stop inferring knowledge into these betting lines. It’s the same thing as where a free agent might sign. These are all tiny limit lines designed to spur engagement. They're not predictions.

MrGuyPerson

Aug 19, 2020
If Catton falls, that'd be wild. Kid is good.
I think he is going to. His upside is very high, but I personally cannot shake Drouin vibes when I watch him. Nothing wrong with Drouin. Solid player, but he did not live up to the hype his IQ and skill created. My own belief is a low motor/compete lead to Drouin underachieving. Unfortunately, I personally think Catton shares those traits and I would imagine I'm not the only one who thinks so. Plus he is south of 6' which many teams may avoid. Many believe size is needed to build a true contender, and the Panthers success can easily be pointed at to support that belief. Could he be Brayden Point? Sure, it is possible. It is also possible he will not be as well

The main reason I believe he is likely to fall is the NHL is a Copycat league. Everyone is trying to build a winner and as Florida looks poised to win it this year that makes them the model to copy. If the Cat's FAs play ball, they could easily run it back next season and potentially win back-2-back cups. Which makes their model that much more appealing to copy.

The reality of using Florida as the basis for roster construction is there is no "Catton" type of player on the Cats roster. Helenius? Yup. It is like I'm already watching him play. Iginla? No doubt. Nygard? 100%. Lindstrom? Decent fit. Sennecke? Also decent. Catton? Nope. Not present. Evan Rodriguez is closest possible comp and their game is not similar nor are their motors. So yeah I would not be surprised to see him fall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad