GDT: Off-season/July 1st Free Agent frenzy thread-Is Joey Crabb still available?

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
ok, we just won a cup without a pure shooter like hoffman. as a reminder, hoffman did not move the needle here.

why oh why would anyone want to handcuff the organization by bringing in a high $ player with some ?s that we clearly do not need? we can defend now - we don't need to outscore our mistakes anymore.
to be fair, those teams were so horribly constructed lol.

I can say Marchessault didnt move the needle here too, but he was just a part of an awful team and a tumultuous year.

I dont want Laine at a high cap hit too, but wouldnt mind him at an excessively retained salary bought with cheap assets.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
ok, we just won a cup without a pure shooter like hoffman. as a reminder, hoffman did not move the needle here.

why oh why would anyone want to handcuff the organization by bringing in a high $ player with some ?s that we clearly do not need? we can defend now - we don't need to outscore our mistakes anymore.

Well for starters, Laine is way better than Hoffman... And just because we won last season doesn't mean we don't have flaws, and shooting/finishing is one of those flaws. Also not sure what you mean by saying Hoffman didn't move the needle, because he sure made a difference to our powerplay. There were a lot of other issues with those teams he was on.

Wouldn't be handcuffing the org. if he's brought in retained, which is the only way it'd really work. Sure we can defend, but scoring goals is pretty important too. I'm not suggesting and don't expect us to reconstruct the roster to bring in Laine, but if it was something like Knight for Laine retained, not sure how that doesn't make us better for the next two years which is our main competitive window.

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
Well for starters, Laine is way better than Hoffman... And just because we won last season doesn't mean we don't have flaws, and shooting/finishing is one of those flaws. Also not sure what you mean by saying Hoffman didn't move the needle, because he sure made a difference to our powerplay. There were a lot of other issues with those teams he was on.

Wouldn't be handcuffing the org. if he's brought in retained, which is the only way it'd really work. Sure we can defend, but scoring goals is pretty important too. I'm not suggesting and don't expect us to reconstruct the roster to bring in Laine, but if it was something like Knight for Laine retained, not sure how that doesn't make us better for the next two years which is our main competitive window.

Laine gets way too much crap tbh. He isn't lazy or one dimensional, they played him as a C for Satan' sake. Defense just isn't his forte. Put him in a position to succeed and on a team where he doesn't have to carry the load and boom, I think he'll be a difference maker. The only worry with him is the injuries IMO.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006

Yeah if we could get Laine retained for Knight, that would be worth a consideration… the reason I brought up Carter isn’t because I’d want us to do that trade but because the other team GM rarely asks for what you want to give. If I were them, I’d ask for someone like Carter or Benny. Which probably happens a lot and then we the public never hear about it because it doesn’t go forward at all.

ScottyMascotty

Dec 24, 2017
St. Petersburg
imo he's special enough to warrant 14M, but paying guys what they are worth is not how you can build a great team to win the Cup.

I had to sneak in Forsling.

These are all possible "best moves" by Zito in chronological order. I did not include Hornqvist-Matheson trade as Patric has been retired for a year

1722376350291.png

Idiot Stick

Youre back on the case Bobrovsky!
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2023
You Got, Florida

Desert Panther

Resident Lurker
Jun 23, 2002
Frisco, TX
Visit site
Laine, Ceulemans (RD) and Merzlikins for Bobrovsky and Ekblad!

It's a pretty good bet that Bob has Columbus on his no-trade list.

Yeah if we could get Laine retained for Knight, that would be worth a consideration… the reason I brought up Carter isn’t because I’d want us to do that trade but because the other team GM rarely asks for what you want to give. If I were them, I’d ask for someone like Carter or Benny. Which probably happens a lot and then we the public never hear about it because it doesn’t go forward at all.

I wouldn't want to trade Knight because there's no one behind him if Bob falters. Drieger likely was a one-run pony and we have no other NHL-ready G prospects. I agree with you that the ask would likely be one of Benny or Swaggy in order to get the necessary retention to acquire Laine. The deal just isn't there to be made.

That said, the math says we can likely retain all three of Benny, Swaggy and Ekblad with the caveat that Ek takes a cut in pay down to around $5-6M. Currently, they total $16.1M for all three players. Add in the expected cap rise of $4M (from 88 to 92) and Yandle's $1.2M coming off the books and the budget for all three is $21.3M. If Ek resigns at $6M, that still leaves $15.3M for the two forwards which should be enough to keep them both at a "neutral" cap hit.

behemolari

worst collapse in nhl history
Dec 1, 2011
He got $8M x 4 from Nashville. I don’t think anyone knows what the Tampa offer was, but I don’t imagine it was all that close, not $7M x 3 for example. I’m more inclined to think they lowballed the salary and the years, and decided to invest in Guentzel instead. I think Stamkos would have been a wiser choice at something like $7 x 3, he’s coming off a great year, still has the touch and step, and because Guentzel really isn’t a difference maker like he’s now getting paid for. He’s not the level of Reinhart for example IMO.

The dynamics would not have been right for the team (and therefore for future good players on the team) if Stamkos had taken something like $4 x 4. He still would have been a top 3 forward for Tampa after Kuch and Point. Again, JMO, and I’m pretty sure Zito won’t do that with Barky. But I guess we’ll see.
there goes tampa bay legacy theyre done

Idiot Stick

Sponsor
Oct 22, 2023
You Got, Florida
I expect a much tougher atlantic division this year, gonna be a struggle to get home ice even for the first round

On the other hand, if we can get past that, metro is looking a lot easier to face

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
I expect a much tougher atlantic division this year, gonna be a struggle to get home ice even for the first round

Who do you think is going to be tougher? I see Boston, Toronto and Tampa mostly spinning wheels. Detroit could be a wild card team but they probably take Washington's spot in the playoffs.

Manc Cat

Feb 28, 2016
Ive said it before and i will say it again, you dont move Knight without giving him at least a long look in NHL. Markstrom and motembault both proved to be decent goalies after we moved on from them, and most start goaltenders arent necessarily lighting up the league at 23. Give him time to backup Bob this year and next and see if he has the potential to take the reigns. Patience is a virtue.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Ive said it before and i will say it again, you dont move Knight without giving him at least a long look in NHL. Markstrom and motembault both proved to be decent goalies after we moved on from them, and most start goaltenders arent necessarily lighting up the league at 23. Give him time to backup Bob this year and next and see if he has the potential to take the reigns. Patience is a virtue.

To be clear I'm still high on Knight and think he'll work it out. Good kid, good attitude, right tool box. I don't want to trade him and I would be happy to keep him.

I'm just saying we have a very clear competitive window this coming year and if trading Knight can increase our chances, then I'd do it.

Idiot Stick

Sponsor
Oct 22, 2023
You Got, Florida
Who do you think is going to be tougher? I see Boston, Toronto and Tampa mostly spinning wheels. Detroit could be a wild card team but they probably take Washington's spot in the playoffs.
Toronto got a lil bit better, plus waiting to see what coaching change does for them.

Tampa wont be starting off with johansen for a good start of the season + a healthy vasi

Boston i dont think got crazy better and it depends if they keep swayman, but they got more depth on defense and they play us tough

Sens with ullmark are gonna be better, korpisalo was horrible with them

Canadiens and buffalo are still in hell but redwings got some additions and were a good team last year before they just collapsed last second lol

I dont think we took much of a step back and have a better roster than the one we started off last year with, but with the wear and tear of two cup runs i dont see us goin all out until the late part of the season, that with most of the atlantic somewhat getting better, just seeing a hard fight for first

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
View attachment 898273

The division got tougher since the Panthers had to downgrade their roster.

Well that's true, I think Monty will be missed. Depends if Schmid can still play.
Toronto got a lil bit better, plus waiting to see what coaching change does for them.

Tampa wont be starting off with johansen for a good start of the season + a healthy vasi

Boston i dont think got crazy better and it depends if they keep swayman, but they got more depth on defense and they play us tough

Sens with ullmark are gonna be better, korpisalo was horrible with them

Canadiens and buffalo are still in hell but redwings got some additions and were a good team last year before they just collapsed last second lol

I dont think we took much of a step back and have a better roster than the one we started off last year with, but with the wear and tear of two cup runs i dont see us goin all out until the late part of the season, that with most of the atlantic somewhat getting better, just seeing a hard fight for first

Yeah, I guess I just see minor changes and upgrades for the some of the top teams, nothing that would move the needle much. The bottom teams like Ottawa, Buffalo and Montreal are so far away from being good that I don't even register them on my radar lol.

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
No to trading Carter V for him, but if Laine wants to come and sign here cheap to revive his career I mean why not? He has 50+ goal potential on Barkov's wing and might make our PP not a joke.

Reactions: Idiot Stick

Idiot Stick

Sponsor
Oct 22, 2023
You Got, Florida
No to trading Carter V for him, but if Laine wants to come and sign here cheap to revive his career I mean why not? He has 50+ goal potential on Barkov's wing and might make our PP not a joke.
speaking of the PP
Whose the new quarterback now? Ekblad? Forsling? A. Boqvist?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad