GDT: Off-season/July 1st Free Agent frenzy thread-Is Joey Crabb still available?

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
McD is an amazing player but he was gassed by the end and had nothing left to give. If they had more depth, guy wouldn't need to play 25 minutes a game and could be even more effective.

In a salary cap world, it doesn't matter how good each individual is if they aren't being paid below market value. What matters more is if a player is our producing his AAV. That's just the reality of how it works. So if McD wanted to win, he'll need to take that into account for his next contract.

McDavid's AAV for what he currently brings is actually really good value. We shall see what his next contract is. More interesting is what Drai will do.....And how much he will sign for and if he stays with the Oilers. If Drai sees out his contract and moves to pastures new, I could see next year as being the best year for the Oilers to win the cup.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
McDavid's AAV for what he currently brings is actually really good value. We shall see what his next contract is. More interesting is what Drai will do.....And how much he will sign for and if he stays with the Oilers. If Drai sees out his contract and moves to pastures new, I could see next year as being the best year for the Oilers to win the cup.

Hard to measure those things. The analytical models also overweight offense, which favors McD.

He also signed a contract that was 15.7% of the cap, while Crosby signed for 13.5%. That's another $2M that could've been available for better depth.

Then there's the weird stuff with his agent basically taking over the team. IMO players shouldn't be that close to management and ownership. Everyone has their own job to do. Screws up the hierarchy and players are less objective.

Reactions: MaWa

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Something about being the best player in the game is almost like a curse in when it comes to winning under the salary cap era to be honest.

It makes it extremely difficult to ice a championship consistently.

Take the Blackhawks. They stopped winning their two best players signed for 10.5M contracts.

Crosby was locked in I believe to that 200 year contract lmao

That would be incredible! Would love McDavid on this team. Zito work your magic!
I'll be honest, I prefer violence and chaos over skill and artistry.

Give me Brady to pair with Matty all day

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Hard to measure those things. The analytical models also overweight offense, which favors McD.

He also signed a contract that was 15.7% of the cap, while Crosby signed for 13.5%. That's another $2M that could've been available for better depth.

Then there's the weird stuff with his agent basically taking over the team. IMO players shouldn't be that close to management and ownership. Everyone has their own job to do. Screws up the hierarchy and players are less objective.

The Nurse and Campbell contracts are/were the killers for the Oilers.

Plus contracts were different when Crosby signed. Allowed more years so could bring the AAV down. 12 year contract.

Reactions: Great8Cam

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006

Plus contracts were different when Crosby signed. Allowed more years so could bring the AAV down. 12 year contract.

Agree on the Nurse and Campbell contracts, but if McD wasn't paid as much, would be easier to deal with.

Crosby could've gone for shorter and higher AAV if he wanted. That was/is considered the way to maximize value. Not saying the McD contract is bad, just saying it's not a bargain either. He's an amazing player and best in the world, and getting paid like it IMO.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Because there is a fairly restrictive salary cap, money paid to top players actually matters. A lot.

Because of this, and taking total impact to betterment of team, I would not swap Barkov for McDavid (obviously the swap would mean the contracts go along with the swap).

So arguing that McD is the best player in the world or in the history of hockey… I don’t give anywhere near the amount of shits about that individual achievement as I give for winning the Stanley Cup.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
I'm going to take a lot of shit for this, but I honest to God do not think Connor McDavid is as good as Sidney Crosby was. More talented? Yes, especially his skating. Better Captain for my hockey team? I'm taking Sid the Kid, even though I can't stand the guy.
Sidney Crosby's consistency is nearly unrivaled, and he's adapted his game constantly.

I think McDavid has peaked higher (not by much) but not sure if he'll be good for as long as Crosby has.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006

Hmmm looking back some more. Crosby's second contract was actually 17.5% which is pretty huge. So i guess that's the comparison to McDavid's current contract.

It's the third contract where Crosby gave a lot of that value so I guess we'll see where Mcdavid lands with the next contract. Does he want to make even more crazy money or does he want to win?

Reactions: I am not exposed

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Sidney Crosby's consistency is nearly unrivaled, and he's adapted his game constantly.

I think McDavid has peaked higher (not by much) but not sure if he'll be good for as long as Crosby has.

It wasn't a knock on McDavid, tbh. I never liked Crosby due to his whining to the officials (and the fact that it actually worked), but of the guys I've actually seen play in my lifetime, I put him behind only Gretzky and Lemieux. The fact that he's still one of the best players in the NHL is staggering.

But while we're on this subject, Draisatl is the most overrated player to ever exist in my lifetime.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Something about being the best player in the game is almost like a curse in when it comes to winning under the salary cap era to be honest.

Take the Blackhawks. They stopped winning their two best players signed for 10.5M contracts.

Crosby was locked in I believe to that 200 year contract lmao

Doesnt have to look so much high, only remember Zach Parise was called a high praised talent,
he tryed hard with Minnesota, changed the Team to reach it. And try it again with Colorado.
Even if you have great Talent and a good Team around you, there is no garanty that you win the Cup only once.

That alone shows how tough it could be to win the Cup.

Reactions: Stanley Cup Boundd

scholl

Jun 26, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
on a side note, I think the panthers are the first team to ever win with a goalie making 10 or more per year. Correct me if I’m wrong
Vasilevsky earned $9.5m. So it's not a big difference.

If the contract was signed for 8 years and the cap went up a lot, that contract became "cheaper". McDavid's case is difficult because Oilers wasn't able to build a good team or develop players they drafted and the cap didn't go up when he had many years left. Now they need to sign a new contract and he'll earn way too much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad