GDT: Off-season/July 1st Free Agent frenzy thread-Is Joey Crabb still available?

ScottyMascotty

Dec 24, 2017
St. Petersburg
This is pathetic.. got a young prospect for a bag of pucks
McLeod was EDM verison of Rodrigues but a bit worse...they flipped him for a prospect who is likely to become a star though

1720214743783.png

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
So Predators win the FA sweepstakes followed up by Seattle. Then a few honorable mentions like Utah and maybe even Toronto.

Reactions: harv33173

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006

Yet everyone is saying how oilers will take the same path as Panthers did, come back stronger and hungrier and win it all next season.

I completely disagree with that possibility. They won’t make it beyond the second round. Teams will have figured them out, and despite McD’s occasional solo heroics and Drai’s flying elbows, they won’t be that hard to stop as a team. They’ll keep getting more top heavy unless they trade Drai and Bouch to make better use of the money. They’re stuck with $15M+ guy McD, I doubt they’ll trade him.

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
Yet everyone is saying how oilers will take the same path as Panthers did, come back stronger and hungrier and win it all next season.

I completely disagree with that possibility. They won’t make it beyond the second round. Teams will have figured them out, and despite McD’s occasional solo heroics and Drai’s flying elbows, they won’t be that hard to stop as a team. They’ll keep getting more top heavy unless they trade Drai and Bouch to make better use of the money. They’re stuck with $15M+ guy McD, I doubt they’ll trade him.
Being stuck with McDavid seems like a great problem to have. Dude had almost as many playoff points as Barkov and MT combined, lol.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017

I'm very hopeful that the Schmidt signing will be another home run for the Florida Rehabilitation Center.

Being stuck with McDavid seems like a great problem to have. Dude had almost as many playoff points as Barkov and MT combined, lol.

If we had finished #1 in the conference and gotten the Capitals, Matthew Tkachuk would have had like 35 points lol

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Listening to interviews, all players said the same thing.

They got distracted by family flying, cup in the building, etc. And game 7 they were freed from all distractions as their lives were also on the line (thus PoMo yelling freedom).

I am convinced if the same situation happened next final and we were up 3-0, it doesn't make it to 7 again.

The team will know how to handle the distractions much better.

Edmonton come back had more to do with that than McDavid imo

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Yeah, i mean they were a couple goals from winning the cup. I am not super high on the Oilers but it's a bit ridiculous to dunk on McD
I’m not dunking on McD the player, I’m dunking on Oilers as a team. And let’s see what McD demands for his next paycheck, if it’s north of $15M per year, then yeah it’s his own fault too.

Reactions: MaWa and pantherbot

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
McDavid is going to go down as top 5 player of all time. Yeah, nice problem to have!
Hockey is not basketball. One or two superstar players doesn't guarantee anything. High scoring also doesn't guarantee anything. Look at the Panthers President Trophy team, highest scoring team in decades. Knocked out in round 2, and were lucky to get past Washington.

Reactions: MaWa and KW

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
McDavid is going to go down as top 5 player of all time. Yeah, nice problem to have!

I'm going to take a lot of shit for this, but I honest to God do not think Connor McDavid is as good as Sidney Crosby was. More talented? Yes, especially his skating. Better Captain for my hockey team? I'm taking Sid the Kid, even though I can't stand the guy.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Hockey is not basketball. One or two superstar players doesn't guarantee anything. High scoring also doesn't guarantee anything. Look at the Panthers President Trophy team, highest scoring team in decades. Knocked out in round 2, and were lucky to get past Washington.

Yes, I know. That doesn't negate that McDavid will go down as one of the greatest players of all time, and arguably top 5. Actually, you are confirming my point that he doesn't need a cup to do that. But having him is certainly more of a help than a hinderance! The Oilers were the better team in the finals. I'm delighted we won this season. The Oilers should challenge again next season. They made some good offseason moves. West is a lot deeper than the east though. Have a tougher gauntlet to get through.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
McD is an amazing player but he was gassed by the end and had nothing left to give. If they had more depth, guy wouldn't need to play 25 minutes a game and could be even more effective.

In a salary cap world, it doesn't matter how good each individual is if they aren't being paid below market value. What matters more is if a player is our producing his AAV. That's just the reality of how it works. So if McD wanted to win, he'll need to take that into account for his next contract.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I'm going to take a lot of shit for this, but I honest to God do not think Connor McDavid is as good as Sidney Crosby was. More talented? Yes, especially his skating. Better Captain for my hockey team? I'm taking Sid the Kid, even though I can't stand the guy.

I mean that is basically impossible to measure. And I would put that low on the list of attributes I want in a hockey player. I mean we should just get Gudbranson back if that is the case! Sid is better at being a grinder/on the board play. Everything else is McDavid. McDavid is a better hockey player than Crosby.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad