GDT: Off-season/July 1st Free Agent frenzy thread-Is Joey Crabb still available?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I’ll be honest about the Stamkos situation… I understand Tampa maybe had to choose either him or Guentzel, BUT JBB handled the whole thing very awkwardly, very poorly.

I sure hope Tkachuk or Barky don’t end up with the same fate. If it’s Zito, no way would he handle it like that. It would be worked out the right way, whether the player stays or not.

Most Tampa fans are understandably upset about the way this was done.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I’ll be honest about the Stamkos situation… I understand Tampa maybe had to choose either him or Guentzel, BUT JBB handled the whole thing very awkwardly, very poorly.

I sure hope Tkachuk or Barky don’t end up with the same fate. If it’s Zito, no way would he handle it like that. It would be worked out the right way, whether the player stays or not.

Agreed, just from watching other GM interviews past couple days, a lot of them seem very cold, calculating. JBB and MC crimmon in particular. Zito is all business as well, but he seems to have much more class.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
I don't fault Tampa for how they handled it, tbh. It's not like they insulted Stamkos on his way out or anything. My understanding is they did offer him a contract, but weren't willing to pay something in the neighborhood of 8Mx4, when they had the ability to acquire Guentzel on a long term contract.

They made the right call as far as keeping their team competitive and having a good piece locked up long-term, as opposed to getting another good year or 2 out of Stamkos and then being stuck with a bad contract.

Stephen Whyno
@SWhyno
·
Follow
Four of the past 5 Stanley Cup champions are based in places with no state income tax. While that's not everything, teams in those places have a distinct advantage financially. A look at the topic and what it means for the NHL:

lmao at WHYNO

Here's an idea, maybe those places should find better ways to finance their budgets that don't involve oppressive income taxes.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I don't fault Tampa for how they handled it, tbh. It's not like they insulted Stamkos on his way out or anything. My understanding is they did offer him a contract, but weren't willing to pay something in the neighborhood of 8Mx4, when they had the ability to acquire Guentzel on a long term contract.

They made the right call as far as keeping their team competitive and having a good piece locked up long-term, as opposed to getting another good year or 2 out of Stamkos and then being stuck with a bad contract.

lmao at WHYNO

Here's an idea, maybe those places should find better ways to finance their budgets that don't involve oppressive income taxes.
If they actually had to make a choice between the two players, I don’t fault management for wanting Guentzel over Stamkos. I don’t know enough about what the Stamkos offer was from Tampa to weigh in on that.

What I’m referring to is the manner in which the decision was carried out and communicated. It appears that Stamkos didn’t know what was going on. It left a bad taste. I think Zito handled Monty totally differently. Panthers couldn’t afford him, Zito wished him well. No ambiguity.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016

The day Barkov is traded is the day i start practicing witchcraft

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Barkov will be the second real Franchise Player, a Name who will stand here for what you can do and should be in professional Sports. 4 or 6 Coaches and all say this is an elite athlete from his work culture to the behaviour and energy at practice.

He stays as long as he want, he wrote NHL History no one can take him, he made Panthers History with the Team, he is the name in Florida since the pick on Draft.

Btw. Stammer i guess wanted out of Tampa, time is changeing in the Franchise and you wanna at least get a different taste. If he ends his Career, his Number will be hang in the Tampa Arena, that is for sure.

And the Injury Problems in the late Years or not late Years is here also a matter. Dont take out Big Names too.

behemolari

worst collapse in nhl history
Dec 1, 2011
Agreed, just from watching other GM interviews past couple days, a lot of them seem very cold, calculating. JBB and MC crimmon in particular. Zito is all business as well, but he seems to have much more class.
Sadly there is no other values than money in the business, we get shocked all the time. Its good to remember.

Last edited:

scholl

Jun 26, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
They still have only one RD. Expecting Zito to address that vacancy with an additional signing. Schmidt - Kulikov is their 3rd pairing, Balls being the 7th dman.
not necessarily. If Ekblad and Knight stayed, there isn't much cap space. In addition to that Panthers started last season without Montour and Ekblad. It wasn't a catastrophe. Balinskis or Björnfot gets an opportunity this time and the defense will be better than it was with M.Staal and co.

Idiot Stick

Youre back on the case Bobrovsky!
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2023
You Got, Florida

Another great value pick up

360093113_6385442688208180_7952087120094766851_n.jpg

Beezers Mask

Oct 5, 2021
Get Lundell locked up at 3.5 for 2-3 years. After that we would have a full roster with 13 Forwards, 7 D, and 2 G with 2.2 million in cap space.

See of Tarasenko wants to come back for 1.5 million. This is the least important need.

Then spend the rest of the summer looking for a trade to get a long term top 4 dman to replace Montour.

Reactions: Idiot Stick

Idiot Stick

Youre back on the case Bobrovsky!
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2023
You Got, Florida
Get Lundell locked up at 3.5 for 2-3 years. After that we would have a full roster with 13 Forwards, 7 D, and 2 G with 2.2 million in cap space.

See of Tarasenko wants to come back for 1.5 million.

Then spend the rest of the summer looking for a trade to get a long term top 4 dman to replace Montour.
this is my hope too, really hope lundy takes that deal so we can keep tank.
Rolling three lines same as last year will be huge

Reactions: Beezers Mask

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad