John Klingberg - Done In the NHL After $45M Blunder?

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
I’ve lived through and missed out on all kinds of financial opportunities in the past 25 years

I haven’t spent one day counting the money I could have made. Maybe that’s loser thinking. Don’t care really
No sense in crying over spilled milk.

I'm sure you've had plenty of things go your way that could have been much worse too.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Sometimes people lose sight of what alot of money is by thinking they can get even more.
Yea, I don't think he did anything wrong. He just wanted to see what was out there and turns what was out nobody was offering a 7 year deal. backfired.
Reminds me of Vanek turning down 7x7.5 from NYI mid season to take 3x6.5 in MIN on July 1st
give or take Tarasenko too. I think the fans thought, and he thought he was due for a 7 year deal with somebody.

that never came too.

Patrik Kane also. there are problems with his hips, but he seems to be down with one year at a time deal so who knows.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Man has made more money than most can dream of and he did it playing a game.

And as much as it sucks to lose as much money as he did, if he doesn't have perspective, he's a moron.

End of story.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I didn't say you couldn't live off of it, I replied to the person saying he's made enough money to shrug off losing 30-40 extra million had he signed that Dallas deal.

And even as far as being able to live off of it; pro athletes aren't living in a duplex, driving a Hyundai Sonata, and taking one vacation a year at a 4 star resort in Punta Cana.

These guys live in mansions (high property tax), drive luxury cars (expensive to repair, service, and fuel), travel to luxury resorts, wear luxury clothing. It's not easy to step back from that lifestyle and what's left over after you retire on 40ish million in career earnings (half of that goes to taxes) isn't that easy to stretch from age 35 until you die when you want to keep living that way.

I'd guess 40 mil in career earnings leaves you with like 8-12 million in the bank when you retire. Shit load of money but when you're 35 and you and your family have to live off it forever you're certainly wishing you had doubled that. (Anecdotally, Biz once said in an interview that Ryan Whitney retired with "11 sheets in the bank" off 35 mil in career earnings so I think my 8-12 range is pretty fair).

Ah jeez if only there was some sort of solution to these unavoidable mandatory expenses

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad