GDT: Off-season/July 1st Free Agent frenzy thread-Is Joey Crabb still available?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Beezers Mask

Oct 5, 2021
Investing in our pro scouting has paid dividends. We get to pick up guys with only minimal assets (waiver, good trades) and then we also get to sign them for cheaper because we gave them a chance and the rest of the league still undervalues them because lack of pedigree. Win, win, win really.
Hopefully the panthers success there continues. It would be difficult without it considering our lack of picks the last few years.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
David DWork and THN picking up the Ekblad rumors too...

Man, that's gonna be a tough one !

But if it means keeping the rest of the band together ? Benny, Swaggy, Reinho, Vladdy, Monty and OEL ? You've got to do it !
Yup. Zito values winning above all. He’s sentimental but it won’t affect who he trades.

wampa13jku

I'm one of those 6 FLA fans.
Jun 29, 2019
Davie, FL
They’ll do a slight discount because they want to stay with the team and help enable future cups. Hedman, Stammer did it too.

McD, Drai, Matthews, Marner, Nylander… didn’t and won’t. Honestly, Edmonton and Toronno won’t win anything with how too heavy they are.
I think Crosby, Malkin and Letang signed good deals to keep it flexible too when their cup window was open if im not mistaken. I get athletes need to maximize their earnings while they are on their prime, but something's gotta give to avoid being one of those really good players with zero cups (or championships overall cause this applies to any sport)

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Sucks, but if Reino gets $9-9.5M, we don't have a choice but to trade Ekblad, the math just doesn't work for 2024/25. Ekblad willing to take a discount to stay, but the problem is next year, not the extension. Maybe he can come back at a discounted rate.

I actually don't expect much return for Ekblad, his contract is hard to trade even if its for one year.

Idiot Stick

Youre back on the case Bobrovsky!
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2023
You Got, Florida
Sucks, but if Reino gets $9-9.5M, we don't have a choice but to trade Ekblad, the math just doesn't work for 2024/25. Ekblad willing to take a discount to stay, but the problem is next year, not the extension. Maybe he can come back at a discounted rate.

I actually don't expect much return for Ekblad, his contract is hard to trade even if its for one year.
we can trade our next first round pick for some to take him, whats it now 2038?

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
I think Crosby, Malkin and Letang signed good deals to keep it flexible too when their cup window was open if im not mistaken. I get athletes need to maximize their earnings while they are on their prime, but something's gotta give to avoid being one of those really good players with zero cups (or championships overall cause this applies to any sport)

I think Crosby's first big deal was considered a blockbuster when he signed it, but then very quickly turned into a great value contract as the cap shot up.

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022

I don't think it's going to be a boat load but something in the line of 1st plus a prospect. He's still a good player at the moment and does some things extremely well. A total warrior too. The long term is the could hanging above him, but still I'd expect him to be a very solid player for a few years at least. RHDs like that should get a decent return.

Necrobutcher

Sep 20, 2018
Tampere, Finland
I don't think it's going to be a boat load but something in the line of 1st plus a prospect. He's still a good player at the moment and does some things extremely well. A total warrior too. The long term is the could hanging above him, but still I'd expect him to be a very solid player for a few years at least. RHDs like that should get a decent return.
Ekblad is way better than most people give him credit for but no way the return is a 1st and a prospect. Not with that contract. More like a decent roster player and 5th rounder or something.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006

Cap space still at a premium and it's still a hefty contract. I like Ekblad, but have come around to accept his contract being too difficult to maneuver for a lot of teams including ourselves. His benefit right now is having only 1-year remaining on contract, so there's flexibility for teams that can swallow the cap hit this coming year, but there are cheaper options you could sign for no assets in free agency.

I'd be surprised if we get more than a 2nd in value and I'm expecting more like a 3rd.

Reactions: I am not exposed

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
Cap space still at a premium and it's still a hefty contract. I like Ekblad, but have come around to accept his contract being too difficult to maneuver for a lot of teams including ourselves. His benefit right now is having only 1-year remaining on contract, so there's flexibility for teams that can swallow the cap hit this coming year, but there are cheaper options you could sign for no assets in free agency.

I'd be surprised if we get more than a 2nd in value and I'm expecting more like a 3rd.
Ekblad is way better than most people give him credit for but no way the return is a 1st and a prospect. Not with that contract. More like a decent roster player and 5th rounder or something.
I think there are teams like Utah or Chicago with space and with dire need for experience and top pairing D. Even if it's for one year, these guys get a 1st and prospect as rentals at the deadline.

Reactions: Idiot Stick

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I’d like to see if we can keep one of Tank or OEL on a short term deal. OEL > Tank because I think Samoskevich should slot in third line RW nicely.

Tarasenko was a perfect deadline pick up. Past his peak, but provided enough depth and chipped in. I can't see us re-signing him at all. He will be looking for one last decent payday, and we certainly can't afford him, and have other priorities.

Panthers Propaganda

We're a team
Oct 28, 2015
Canada
174D0439-5CDA-4B62-AE71-F1314B1677C5.png

Figured, Montours cap space is gonna probably go to everyone else’s raises. I think bullet dodged tbh. He was not great this year but our system covered a lot of it up.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Sounds like we’re not going to resign Montour according to Elliote Friedman

Wonder if that means Ekblad stays for another season

^beat me

unlikely if Reino getting $9-9.5M, there just wouldn't be enough money to keep Ekblad unless we're going all <$1M contracts to fill out rest of the roster

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad