Speculation: Off-Season 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prediculous

May 11, 2018
Redding, CA
Maybe we're seeing different Saros, but rebound control is one of his best attributes, he rarely gives up high quality rebounds and he freezes a ton easily.

I'd like to see him cover the puck a bit more honestly, but that's basically my only issue with him other than size which he can't help, he plays perfectly to adjust for his lack of size anyways. His athleticism and positioning are superb, I just think we should transition him next year even if the team isn't "quite" as good next year record wise because of the switch.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I hope that prospect is a damn good one. A prospect that was a reach when drafted and put up mediocre numbers in his first year (at the age of 23) isn't an ideal return for a 1b/2a center.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
To me, Turris would be the obvious piece to be moved, should we land Tavares. Like said, it's unlikely, but like also said, it's fun to speculate these scenarios.

My #1 trade would too be for a right winger with similar value. Rather no one with higher value as I don't think we should be giving up much if any picks or prospects. I know this is our window, but still, we're really think on the pipeline.

Who is rumoured to be available? Sign & trade Nyqvist, JVR? Is Pacioretty too much of a reach? Zuccarello (I'd rather get someone bigger, so can kinda forget Gus aswell)? Simmonds like said would fit well, but is he even available?

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
To me, Turris would be the obvious piece to be moved, should we land Tavares. Like said, it's unlikely, but like also said, it's fun to speculate these scenarios.

My #1 trade would too be for a right winger with similar value. Rather no one with higher value as I don't think we should be giving up much if any picks or prospects. I know this is our window, but still, we're really think on the pipeline.

Who is rumoured to be available? Sign & trade Nyqvist, JVR? Is Pacioretty too much of a reach? Zuccarello (I'd rather get someone bigger, so can kinda forget Gus aswell)? Simmonds like said would fit well, but is he even available?

Would you take Ferland and Mangiapane for Turris? Mangiapane has produced exceptionally well in the AHL and is still young with raw potential. Nashville fits better for him than the Flames. Ferland has shown he can be an effective producer with good players. He can move up and down the lineup. I think Simmonds is available for the right piece and if anyone can use only one year of Simmonds without hurting their future it's Nashville lol.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I'd like to see him cover the puck a bit more honestly, but that's basically my only issue with him other than size which he can't help, he plays perfectly to adjust for his lack of size anyways. His athleticism and positioning are superb, I just think we should transition him next year even if the team isn't "quite" as good next year record wise because of the switch.

I still feel he's an excellent rebound controller both in not allowing high quality rebounds, communicating with the D well so that his rebounds don't lead to the team being stuck in their own zone, and good at freezing the puck. Saros is better in the first 2 categories than the final category though. Rinne is just awesome in all 3 (Although at times he does give up some poor rebounds when he's off).

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Would you take Ferland and Mangiapane for Turris? Mangiapane has produced exceptionally well in the AHL and is still young with raw potential. Nashville fits better for him than the Flames. Ferland has shown he can be an effective producer with good players. He can move up and down the lineup. I think Simmonds is available for the right piece and if anyone can use only one year of Simmonds without hurting their future it's Nashville lol.
So in the nice dream scenario where we do sign Tavares... I think it comes down a lot to timing and trading Turris would not necessarily end up being a situation where bartering for the best possible return - or maybe even for a "fair" return - makes the most sense. That is:

If Tavares lands a $10M cap hit and we have $3M more pegged for Hartman+Saros, the cap situation is a little too tight. Close, but tight. So okay, we've decided to trade Turris - but that is going to give us $4-5M more in empty space by the time all the dust settles! So I'd really like to see that cap space spent too. Ideally while there is still a good UFA #5 defenseman to sign.

So I'd be in a bit of a hurry-up mode and inclined to take any half-decent trade that's on the table. I know we can be over the cap in the off-season and all, and it's not technically required to trade Turris right away. But teams want everything to shake out by July 1st if possible so they know what they have and what they need to chase. Ferland is a solid player, Mangiapane a decent prospect, something like that return might look bad compared to what we paid to get Turris, but if it's all in the context of upgrading to Tavares and getting it all done in time to still sign a solid UFA dman too, I'd be inclined to jump on it.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
If by some chance we sign Tavares I still say the center that gets moved is Bonino, unless we absolutely have to have the extra 2 million in cap space to afford Tavares.
I don't think Turris would settle for 3rd line center role. That'd lead to some locker room issues sooner or later, I'm afraid. That 2 million in cap might not be an issue right now, but in the future we're going to be asking ourselves if we wat to pay 6 million to our 3rd line center.

If Turris can effectively be moved to wing then that's another story. Tolvanen - Sissons/Jarnkrok - Smith makes a good 3rd line. I still rather have Bonino center Tolvanen and Smith compete for 2nd line spot with whoever we'd get from Turris trade.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
If Ellis wants too much $$ move him and either Bonino/Turris to land a winger and another defenseman. Depending on which center gets moved will dictate how good of a return we'll get, especially if a sign and trade is done for Ellis.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Move Turris to the Islanders for a signed Tavares if possible. That clears cap space, allows for an 8th year on the Tavares deal which should mean a lower AAV and the Isles get a top 6 center signed long term. Win-win.

And I was stopping in to see if there was any mention of PK Subban being available. Then the isles re sign JT and trade for his pal PK. Here you guys are planning a JT arrival,in Nashville. These boards are great.
Cheers all

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
If Ellis wants too much $$ move him and either Bonino/Turris to land a winger and another defenseman. Depending on which center gets moved will dictate how good of a return we'll get, especially if a sign and trade is done for Ellis.
I am seeing those names like Skinner and Hoffman mentioned on the move soon... those would be nice wingers to get a hold of. I don't suppose we're in a position to make a move for them, not really enough in cupboard, and since we ought to be an "attractive destination" for UFAs it only makes sense to go there first instead of the trade market. But Skinner or Hoffman would be pretty good fits on the winger search.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
we aren't getting skinner or Hoffman. we have virtually zero assets. one of top 4 would have to go back and I'm not sure that's their biggest need.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Wait, I just realized that JVR and Pacioretty both are left wingers right? Looking at coming UFAs, one name stands out to me and it's James Neal. Any indications he would or definitely would not want to return?
Fiala - Turris - Neal coud be lethal 2nd line. We'd get the power forward we need.´We could keep Ellis (right?) and therefore keep the core intact. That'd be a big positive imo.

If Laviolette doesn't want to break Ekholm - Subban pair, but don't want to keep Josi and Ellis together, then a deal around Ellis and Simmonds would make sense from our perspective. Sign and trade for both perhaps? Then look for a strong ¤4 D elsewhere

I've been inactive, so are these ideas already been discussed thru or do they make sense to anyone else?

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I know the playoff loss was disappointing and you should always look to improve your team, but I'm not expecting any big moves this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad