Speculation: Off-Season 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

PredsV82

Mushy Middle Forever
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Saros will be dependent on how much term he wants. I'm guessing Poile would like to sign him for 3 years at around 2.5 AAV leaving him an RFA at the end of that deal. But Saros may opt for a one year deal thinking that he may be the starter by the end of next season and be able to command a lot more money.

JT will get 11x8 from someone. The question is will he possibly take a little less of there is a non NYI destination he prefers

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
He can't get 8 years from anyone but the Islanders, but I do look for him to command 10+ unless he decides he doesn't want to hamstring his team with that cap hit. That's unlikely though.

I figure Poile will want to bridge Saros for about 2.5, but I could see Saros taking less to get a one year deal in Hope's of getting starter level money the next. Really just depends on what Saros wants, money, term or a bit of both.

PredsV82

Mushy Middle Forever
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
He can get 8 years if the isles trade his rights before July 1 if he tells them hes not coming back, which is what I fully expect to happen if he doesn't resign with NYI

Lateralous

Jun 17, 2003
Abington, PA
Visit site
I figure Poile will want to bridge Saros for about 2.5, but I could see Saros taking less to get a one year deal in Hope's of getting starter level money the next. Really just depends on what Saros wants, money, term or a bit of both.

I really can't see a guy like Saros, who hasn't really made much money to date, gambling on a 1 year contract if he has the chance to sign a 3 year one-way deal in the range you proposed. If he pans out there will be plenty of time to make big money but you have to bank a guaranteed 7.5ish million when you can, right?

PredsV82

Mushy Middle Forever
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I really can't see a guy like Saros, who hasn't really made much money to date, gambling on a 1 year contract if he has the chance to sign a 3 year one-way deal in the range you proposed. If he pans out there will be plenty of time to make big money but you have to bank a guaranteed 7.5ish million when you can, right?

Depends on what his agent is telling him. I'm sure some players are savvy enough to figure that out on their own but I'm sure an agent can be very persuasive

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
According to Denis Bernstein of the 4th period and TSN's trade bait board, PK Subban is in fact on the market.

Detelethisaccount

Jul 5, 2013
With all the rumors out of Buffalo, I wonder if Botterill/Housley could be looking to add some of "their" players. Maybe Poile can capitalize and get a steal? Doubt we would be in on ROR, but could see us maybe being involved if Buffalo needs a third team to swing the deal.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
According to Denis Bernstein of the 4th period and TSN's trade bait board, PK Subban is in fact on the market.

The thing is this: you can list every Predator on the board except Rinne (I don't think we is waving his no-trade). If Poile finds a deal that in his mind makes this team a better one, he will do it - doesn't matter if the player is a plug on the 4th line or PK Subban.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
He can get 8 years if the isles trade his rights before July 1 if he tells them hes not coming back, which is what I fully expect to happen if he doesn't resign with NYI
Nope, but they can do a sign and trade.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
What are everyone's thoughts on the Subban for Karlsson rumor?

It's interesting if the plan is to use the freed up cap to sign Tavares this summer.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
What are everyone's thoughts on the Subban for Karlsson rumor?

It's interesting if the plan is to use the freed up cap to sign Tavares this summer.
I mean, sure, great, though don't see a snowball's chance in hell it happens. That's also an awful lot of turnover in core players for a team in a 3 year span for a roster that already seems to be struggling a little bit with chemistry.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I look at it like this, will Poile listen to offers on PK? Hell yes he will. Does that mean he is trying to shop him for whatever the best deal is he can get? No and more no.

Until he has Ellis signed long term, he simply can't afford to trade him unless there is a top 4 Dman coming back in that deal.

Losing Ellis and trading off Subban leaving you with just Josi, Ekholm, Weber, Irwin and 2bit? Scary.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
I just have a strong feeling Ellis gets traded. If he wants more than 5 million then I poile looks to ship him off. Nothing against Ellis but josi is a better defenseman and his contract will be up the year after. We can't put that much money into our top 4. Everyone thinking let's get rid of subbans 9 million dollar cap hit and well be fine has to realize subban is a top defenseman in the league. He can be in the running for the Norris every year and you can't say that about any of our other defenseman. Plus 9 million will not look that bug when these other top defenseman start getting paid like karlsson and doughty because they will get 11 to 12 million. Kinda drifted off subject. If Ellis demands more than 5 you ship him out for better forward help. In my opinion that is

lstcyr

Jul 29, 2002
Visit site
I'm wondering if the better way to go is to sign Ellis, trade Josi before his contract is up and then count on a young defenseman to move up.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I'm wondering if the better way to go is to sign Ellis, trade Josi before his contract is up and then count on a young defenseman to move up.
Like who?

Just no.

People act like this is a couple of years ago where we had a team of prospects in the minors. There is nothing there.

FilthyScoresberg

Memphis 901
Jul 28, 2015
Memphis
Man the Toronto fans on the main boards are killing me. They don’t seem to get that you don’t get a f***ing Norris caliber defenseman for picks, prospects, and Nylander. “Oh, but I truly believe he will be a 70-80 point player ever year soon enough.” My ass, bro.
You want Subban? I want Marner or Matthews as the main piece.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad