Speculation: Off-Season 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
I just dislike metal but still listen to it with my friends. Any genre will do and any style as long as the song is somehow good in some way IMO.
(For example I've only listened to a certain song only because I think the guitar riff/beat change/beat in general/words were great in 1 part of the song, doesn't matter If I dislike the rest)

Being a Finn doesn't directly say that I'm a fan of metal ;)

I know Avenged Sevenfold isn't metal but that's one type of music I used to refuse to listen to.

Last edited:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I like metal, it I'm too old school for all of this newer stuff. Gimme some Metallica and Megadeth anyday over the new stuff, at least it still sounded like singing was going on.

Actually discovered I'm a bigger fan of some of the European power metal than I am of all of the black/death metal.

FilthyScoresberg

Memphis 901
Jul 28, 2015
Memphis
Honestly Lamb of God actually was the heaviest band mentioned there... until you're getting into the black and death metal bands (or the blackened death metal?) you're not going to be in the conversation.

Try some of my killer B's... Behemoth (Messe Noire), Batushka (Yekteniya 4), Brujeria (Cuiden a los Ninos), Battlecross (Push, Pull, Destroy), Baest (Cross****e), Bloodbath (Breeding Death) or Immortal (Tragedies Blows at Horizon), obviously Slayer (Angel of Death), old Amon Amarth (Risen from the Sea), even a song like Slaughtered by Pantera.

And don't forget that heavy isn't a sound, it's an attitude and a presence. A song like Mother by Danzig is extremely heavy despite the sound not holding up to any kind of extreme metal, while many newer technical death metal bands can make you go deaf but I'd hardly consider them heavy. \m/
Protest the Hero is just a Canadian band I know. They’re good but not very heavy. As a guitarist, I love the instrumental side of things with them.
I can get heavy.. Whitechapel, Suicide Silence, Shadow of Intent is my latest favorite (listen to The Horror Within), etc etc etc. I could go on endlessly. I am a huuuuuge metal fan.

Heaviness is certainly a sound. Most bands I like downtune their guitars a lot but I don’t. It’s all how you do it, man.

@PredsV82 sorry dawg just saw your post.:yo:

Tysonson3

Feb 20, 2017
If we miss out on a the big ufa’s this year how about we use our cap space to take a 1-2 year cap dump to replenish the prospect cupboards? I could see ownership being okay with it since their willing to pay to win. Maybe someone like orpik could net us a second round pick or a prospect (Lucas johansen cause yenno always gotta reunite the brothers :naughty:) plus he wouldn’t be bad on our third pair.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
The Predators have made bold moves 3 straight years. For a cup contending team, we have a very strong roster, lots of balance, and few holes. I don't expect a bold move unless the right piece is available. That said, a guy like Tavares and Karlsson are players every team looks at.

Adding EK would be like the Avalanche going out and getting Ray Borque to add to Rob Blake/Adam Foote, etc. It's a move to win a cup. It's bold and expensive.

We will see what Poile wants to do.

This roster can stand put and still be top tier. I always dream of the above players, but so does every other team in the league.

Reactions: PredsV82

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I'd love Tavares or Karlsson as well.

But I think it's unwise to go for broke in the cap era. When teams were doing that in the 90's it made sense because there were only a handful of contenders each season so you already had decent odds to start with. Also the trade deadline was later in the season, so more teams were out of contention and willing to part with big pieces, which also cost less to acquire since it was for a shorter length of time.

Today every team is pretty good, and the playoffs are even more of a crapshoot with the gap between a 1 and 8 seed being almost non-existent. It's better to just maintain a "good enough" roster and hope to catch lightning in a bottle one season rather than emptying the prospect pool and ensuring a rebuild period in a few years.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I'm not trying to poo-poo the desire to sign guys and spend money, but I honestly think if Rinne played like himself and the D had tightened up a bit more we'd be way more confident in ourselves. We could still be playing. I don't believe we need any huge shot in the arm, I just think we need to be firing on all cylinders.

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
rinne was so bad that colorado gave us a run. a team that made it in on the last day of the regular season. if ellis/josi don't play like trash and rinne remembers how to stop a puck, i think we are still playing right now honestly. thats with the 2nd line being a dumpster fire.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
rinne was so bad that colorado gave us a run. a team that made it in on the last day of the regular season. if ellis/josi don't play like trash and rinne remembers how to stop a puck, i think we are still playing right now honestly. thats with the 2nd line being a dumpster fire.

I may be in the minority but I still think this is an overreaction (the Rinne part). Rinne had some great games when we played like our usual selves on D in front of him. I am not arguing one second that overall he was not good enough, and let in a handful of God awful, soul crushing goals.

But we were HOT GARBAGE in front of him for a majority of the playoffs- had we played even decently on D, we would at the very least have been in the conference finals even with his subpar play. Heck, we might have won the freaking Cup, who knows.

Still think our overall D play was the #1 reason our playoff performance was so disappointing.

Just my opinion.....

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I may be in the minority but I still think this is an overreaction (the Rinne part). Rinne had some great games when we played like our usual selves on D in front of him. I am not arguing one second that overall he was not good enough, and let in a handful of God awful, soul crushing goals.

But we were HOT GARBAGE in front of him for a majority of the playoffs- had we played even decently on D, we would at the very least have been in the conference finals even with his subpar play. Heck, we might have won the freaking Cup, who knows.

Still think our overall D play was the #1 reason our playoff performance was so disappointing.

Just my opinion.....

Absolutely, Rinne takes most of the blame in game 7 against the Jets, but it wasn't like he was the only reason the Preds lost. Face it, Saros allowed 2 goals that were difficult to stop and the Preds only scored once. For the entirety of the playoffs, Rinne is definitely not the number 1 reason why the Preds were eliminated early.

1. Defense
2. 2nd line
3. Rinne
for the entirety of the playoffs

Game 7 against the Jets:
1. Rinne
2. Defense
3. Offense

Reactions: drwpreds

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I'm curious what the people who claimed for much of the year that Rinne wasnt really playing so great it was the team in front of him think the problem was in the playoffs. Rinne, or the team in front of him?

Sorry, I know I may have missed this whole conversation a month ago but I'm just now able to talk about the playoffs...

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
If we miss on big ufas use all of the leftover money on performers during intermission :naughty:

Yeah but what is the plus minus on Trisha Yearwood? Honestly, sign Saros, try and make a deal for Tavares. This is a great time ti watch games but a terrible time to be a fan of a team not playing. But I look at this team and I'm satisfied if they come back exactly as is next year.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Absolutely, Rinne takes most of the blame in game 7 against the Jets, but it wasn't like he was the only reason the Preds lost. Face it, Saros allowed 2 goals that were difficult to stop and the Preds only scored once. For the entirety of the playoffs, Rinne is definitely not the number 1 reason why the Preds were eliminated early.

1. Defense
2. 2nd line
3. Rinne
for the entirety of the playoffs

Game 7 against the Jets:
1. Rinne
2. Defense
3. Offense
We're going to have to agree to disagree. I agree that the defense and the 2nd line were bad and rinne isn't the only one at fault but I think rinne is the number 1 reason we lost. In the playoffs a team has to have a goalie to steal a game or 2 and rinne didnt do that. Matter fact I can't remember rinne making a memorable save the whole playoffs. He let in a ton of soft goals where he could of made the save.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
We're going to have to agree to disagree. I agree that the defense and the 2nd line were bad and rinne isn't the only one at fault but I think rinne is the number 1 reason we lost. In the playoffs a team has to have a goalie to steal a game or 2 and rinne didnt do that. Matter fact I can't remember rinne making a memorable save the whole playoffs. He let in a ton of soft goals where he could of made the save.

Winnipeg generated more quality chances in both home losses against the Preds, and Rinne stood tall.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
The problem wasnt that Rinne didnt have good games, it's just that he wasn't consistently on his game and let in some pretty bad goals. Good teams are going to score some, but you can't make it worse by letting in goals that shouldn't go in.

There is no doubt the D was pretty bad, both offensively and defensively, but even with that if Rinne had just been solid we take that series.

The 2nd line woes I put squarely on them and I also put on Lavi. He never really attempted to break that line up. I understand in the Colorado series as the 3rd was playing extremely well, but in the Jets series they were just ok.

Really think we need an upgrade on Smith and I'm hoping someone does some work with Fiala to make him understand in the playoffs possession means a whole lot. You may not make great plays, but you can't continually turn the puck over.

Reactions: FilthyScoresberg

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
rinne's save with the knob of his stick in game 4 at winnipeg. but agreed. rinne was bad and the number 1 reason for me.

hell, he singled handedly about let Colorado play with us. he let in a goal on the 1st shot in 2 games and another goal on the 2nd shot in another?

he let in 3 goals on what 16 shots in game 1 against winnipeg? this was game that killed us imo. not game 3. we dominated game 1 and rinne just wasn't good. he was really just bad the whole playoffs outside of 2-3 games.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
rinne's save with the knob of his stick in game 4 at winnipeg. but agreed. rinne was bad and the number 1 reason for me.

hell, he singled handedly about let Colorado play with us. he let in a goal on the 1st shot in 2 games and another goal on the 2nd shot in another?

he let in 3 goals on what 16 shots in game 1 against winnipeg? this was game that killed us imo. not game 3. we dominated game 1 and rinne just wasn't good. he was really just bad the whole playoffs outside of 2-3 games.
I forgot about that save.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad