Speculation: Off-Season 2013 - Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
Anybody else has interested in Kyle Clifford ? He would be perfect on our 3rd line imo, because it would give some physicality to the line (much more than a , that not even Malone could bring and Clifford is not injured all the time....

What would you pay for him? Palat plus pick would be my offer, because I think Palats potentialmight be higher offensivly, but he wil never be that physical.

What do you mean by "he will never be that physical"? Do you mean compared to guys like Clifford? In that case, I would agree. But to say Palat is not physical is somewhat inaccurate as he averaged 2 hits per game during his 14 game stint last season in limited minutes.

In addition to the offensive potential he flashes, he was also very effective defensively and made his way onto the PK. It'd be rather silly to give up on him now, when he could become one of our better two-way players. I'd love to have Clifford on our 3rd line, but I wouldn't give up Palat for him.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Palat is sneaky strong. He doesn't go out looking to hit people, typically because he doesn't really have to to play good defensively. He reverse hits folks quite viciously when he has the puck though. Much more solid on his skates than people think at first glance.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
cooper's words on palat was that he was soul of team pretty much so dont see him moving at all.

Pyatt for crawford might be looked at but pyatt is super smart hockey IQ and not sure with what we have that crawford could even earn a spot on the team. Just saying we have a ton of guys with skills. Seems stevie and cooper believe can get them to play gritty, defensive minded two way hockey, good smart IQ hockey. Two guys I wonder if have a spot are tryrell and pyatt on team in future unless we move malone.

We really dont need to move centers or wings for anything other than r dman preferably stay at home style gritty big and physical. Have plenty of play making D and left d men.

I see pyatt and tyrell dropped waived or traded for like picks to be honest or in 2 for ones deals for a 3-4 defense guy whom is ready and 23-32 with a decent salary lower end 3 million or 3.5 million deal for a couple more years if we make a move.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Brittany Zion ‏@BrittanyZion
Well, I guess it's time to rip the band-aid and tell everyone my news: After a lot of soul-searching and some difficult conversations...

...I have decided that I will not be returning for another season with the #TBLightning. I want to thank the fans, coaching staff & players

For giving me four amazing years with the team, and for treating me like family. You are all truly the best of the best.

Also, as I made @CoopersLaw and @BBreseman pinky promise, please do not like the new reporter better than me :) Thanks again

That's too bad, I'm actually gonna miss her at the games :(

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
That's too bad, I'm actually gonna miss her at the games :(

:facepalm: she was my only motivation to watch the games when we were awful last season...definitely going to miss her.

In other news, Daniel Bernstein of The Fourth Period belives the Kings are actively shopping Kyle Clifford:

https://twitter.com/DennisTFP/status/357320533211230208

I'd give up a pick and a mid range prospect for him, but definitely not Palat as was suggested earlier in this thread.

2016cupwinners

May 2, 2013
That's sad news. I always looked forward to seeing Brittany's interviews. She seemed like a sweethearted person and did a good job. Her sweet nature, soft voice, and pretty face will be missed by me.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
:facepalm: she was my only motivation to watch the games when we were awful last season...definitely going to miss her.

In other news, Daniel Bernstein of The Fourth Period belives the Kings are actively shopping Kyle Clifford:

I'd give up a pick and a mid range prospect for him, but definitely not Palat as was suggested earlier in this thread.

If we could get Clifford for a late pick or two, I'd do it. Solid bottom 6 checker

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012

Sorry, but I get the feeling some of us really overrate/ overvalue Palat. Palat is a great guy a great PKer and very good defensivly. But he will never be anything more than a below average 2nd line winger, which in our case automativally means 3rd lind forward. Yet you guys don't want to trade him for an proven 3rd liner that is THE SAME age and hits a hell lot and is pretty decent on the back end as well. so somebody we could really really need.

Palat is an amazing story, but We have to get our heads straight, just like with Conacher. Both will never be anything special, they will habe long careers in the NHL, but will never be anybody to write home about.
Other possible trade LA might be interested in could be a third rounder with Mullin or something around this.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
That's sad news. I always looked forward to seeing Brittany's interviews. She seemed like a sweethearted person and did a good job. Her sweet nature, soft voice, and pretty face will be missed by me.

Her voice was like fingernails on a chalk board for me, and hope the replacement sounds better.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Sorry, but I get the feeling some of us really overrate/ overvalue Palat. Palat is a great guy a great PKer and very good defensivly. But he will never be anything more than a below average 2nd line winger, which in our case automativally means 3rd lind forward. Yet you guys don't want to trade him for an proven 3rd liner that is THE SAME age and hits a hell lot and is pretty decent on the back end as well. so somebody we could really really need.

Palat is an amazing story, but We have to get our heads straight, just like with Conacher. Both will never be anything special, they will habe long careers in the NHL, but will never be anybody to write home about.
Other possible trade LA might be interested in could be a third rounder with Mullin or something around this.

You don't know that at all, and to add on to this, Clifford may hit a lot but is slightly below average as a third liner, and about on par for a fourth liner. You don't give up a pick and a prospect for that, and you don't stunt one guys development (which is trending upwards and has a more complete two way game) for bottom line fodder.

bassassin

Apr 1, 2008
England

Firstly Clifford is not a proven 3rd liner, he's a 4th line middleweight with above average offensive touch. And he's a bit of a liability defensively to boot.

Secondly I disagree about palat not being special! You don't need to be stammer or msl to be special. He just has something about him, to be called 'the straw that stirs the drink' on a record breaking ahl team IS special. Some players really alter the tempo of the game in their teams favour in my mind Palat is one of those players. Think of the effect Thor had, different player different styles, same special element to their game. Palat imo is going to be a key forward for this team once he hits his potential.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008

:laugh: says who?

I'd like Clifford, but it'd be for a mid pick like a 4th rounder and a mediocre prospect.

2016cupwinners

May 2, 2013

I have to disagree with you on Palat. Try to forget he was a 7th round pick. Several guys who weren't even drafted at all turn out great. St. Louis, Purcell, and Dan Boyle are the first ones to come to mind. Palat slid in the draft because it was thought that he was being carried by his great junior linemates, much like Brad Richards with Lecavalier. That turned out to be wrong. If Palat was a first round pick, we would be extremely happy with his progress. He's highly skilled offensively, he led the AHL in playoff scoring by a large amount over several 1st round picks, he's great defensively, works the boards well, skates well, at 6'0 he's not a smurf, he isn't afraid to buzz the net, he's well liked by teammates so no personality problems apparently. He has the skills to play on any line. I would not be a happy camper if we traded him.

Cigar City

Apr 21, 2012
Tampa
Where the **** is she going.

How is there not a thread for this>!?!!?!>!>!>!

***** gon leave us for something new, fresh, and lustful? She isn't who I thought she was...

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com

palat stats 2011-2012 0.5 points per game playoffs 0.5 2012-2013 1.0 points per game playoffs 1.5 points per game. Biggest thing is to look at hockeys future or something. His plus minus accountability has been staggering his whole career.
He tied courture for 96 points in qmjhl. In his first season at ahl he started slow got 30 points in 61 games but 20 of those points came in last 30 games. International play he has been 0.5 points per game under 20's and wjc. NHL 14 games only 4 points but plus minus 5 on a terrible team plus minus wise?

He still need work to become a great 2 way player and defensively on own end yet what 22 year old doesnt? He has put connolly whom is progressing at right pace behind him in depth chart. Cooper has thrown some descriptions at him saying he was the guy for the AHL teams period.

If tampa didnt have guys like we have killorn panik johnson connolly kucherov drouin namestnikov I would let him play line two with no questions. Has good hockey IQ and very adept offensively. He needs more weight but what prospect can we say doesnt?

So not sure your point? I put all of these guys as 40-50 points for first few years as get used to nhl. Palat will never be ranked as high as drouin kucherov or connolly. Yet can be just as productive as any of the others in the long run.

Clifford will never hit as well or have as good of two way game as killorn or panik and erne when he comes up in a couple years. Will never come close to their production imo. So why give up a guy like palat for what I consider a guy whom will not ever play for our team. He couldnt earn a spot I am saying that. Palat can earn a spot but not crawford.

Now if you want to trade a guy palat for a lifer ahl guy ok this makes sense. This guy cant make our roster. He made LA's but will be a 30 point man whom they are trying to make into dustin brown 2.0 and he aint that. He is not close to the smarts of dustin brown and that shows in all his penalty minutes. We dont need labrie 2.0 is just my opinion.

Now you want a straight up trade crombeen for crawford I am for that:) Shoot I will throw in pyatt and crombeen for crawford and 7th rounder. I just dont think the guy is smart enough to play the way cooper will demand. He causes too many penalties which are avoidable. If you watch killorn or panik and the smaller guys we had at ahl you will see the style was gritty was physical but WAS SMART and limited penalties. If you look at labrie his penalties declined under cooper.

Kyle Crawford has zero fights in NHL that I can find. So what where why do you think we need this guy we got Crombeen and Labrie I see no upside with this guy ZERO.

Maybe I am missing something? Last thing pretty decent on back end regarding Crawford? Why do you think they want him gone? Is a defensive team he is liability.

Last edited:

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga
palat stats 2011-2012 0.5 points per game playoffs 0.5 2012-2013 1.0 points per game playoffs 1.5 points per game. Biggest thing is to look at hockeys future or something. His plus minus accountability has been staggering his whole career.
He tied courture for 96 points in qmjhl. In his first season at ahl he started slow got 30 points in 61 games but 20 of those points came in last 30 games. International play he has been 0.5 points per game under 20's and wjc. NHL 14 games only 4 points but plus minus 5 on a terrible team plus minus wise?

He still need work to become a great 2 way player and defensively on own end yet what 22 year old doesnt? He has put connolly whom is progressing at right pace behind him in depth chart. Cooper has thrown some descriptions at him saying he was the guy for the AHL teams period.

If tampa didnt have guys like we have killorn panik johnson connolly kucherov drouin namestnikov I would let him play line two with no questions. Has good hockey IQ and very adept offensively. He needs more weight but what prospect can we say doesnt?

So not sure your point? I put all of these guys as 40-50 points for first few years as get used to nhl. Palat will never be ranked as high as drouin kucherov or connolly. Yet can be just as productive as any of the others in the long run.

Clifford will never hit as well or have as good of two way game as killorn or panik and erne when he comes up in a couple years. Will never come close to their production imo. So why give up a guy like palat for what I consider a guy whom will not ever play for our team. He couldnt earn a spot I am saying that. Palat can earn a spot but not crawford.

Now if you want to trade a guy palat for a lifer ahl guy ok this makes sense. This guy cant make our roster. He made LA's but will be a 30 point man whom they are trying to make into dustin brown 2.0 and he aint that. He is not close to the smarts of dustin brown and that shows in all his penalty minutes. We dont need labrie 2.0 is just my opinion.

Now you want a straight up trade crombeen for crawford I am for that:) Shoot I will throw in pyatt and crombeen for crawford and 7th rounder. I just dont think the guy is smart enough to play the way cooper will demand. He causes too many penalties which are avoidable. If you watch killorn or panik and the smaller guys we had at ahl you will see the style was gritty was physical but WAS SMART and limited penalties. If you look at labrie his penalties declined under cooper.

Kyle Crawford has zero fights in NHL that I can find. So what where why do you think we need this guy we got Crombeen and Labrie I see no upside with this guy ZERO.

Maybe I am missing something? Last thing pretty decent on back end regarding Crawford? Why do you think they want him gone? Is a defensive team he is liability.

This part is not true. He is being shopped because his contract expectations do not match the team's contract expectations. The LA Kings are in a tight spot with the cap. This is a very common things for teams to do.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012

First of it's Clifford not Crawford.

Clifford had freakin 155 hits last season. Thats top10 among forwards in the NHl and only Gudas will be anywhere clsoe to this numbers next season.
And he is not a defensive liability, otherwise he would NEVER get playing time in LA.
I must have mixed something up, because for some reason I thought he played 14min a night, but in reality it's 10. So now I agree that Palat is too much, but I would still think SY should pull a trigger around Pyatt and a 7th or a 4th and Mullin. This guy would be perfect use on a line with Thompson and Crombeen. WOuld be a real strong and intimidating 4th line. Then we would have Labrie stepping up for them if needed and the three lines above are made as scoring lines. Or you mix the two bottom lines a little bit. Maybe Clifford-Johnson-Palat/Panik and Malone/Palat-Thompson-Crombeen.

bassassin

Apr 1, 2008
England
First of it's Clifford not Crawford.

Clifford had freakin 155 hits last season. Thats top10 among forwards in the NHl and only Gudas will be anywhere clsoe to this numbers next season.
And he is not a defensive liability, otherwise he would NEVER get playing time in LA.
I must have mixed something up, because for some reason I thought he played 14min a night, but in reality it's 10. So now I agree that Palat is too much, but I would still think SY should pull a trigger around Pyatt and a 7th or a 4th and Mullin. This guy would be perfect use on a line with Thompson and Crombeen. WOuld be a real strong and intimidating 4th line. Then we would have Labrie stepping up for them if needed and the three lines above are made as scoring lines. Or you mix the two bottom lines a little bit. Maybe Clifford-Johnson-Palat/Panik and Malone/Palat-Thompson-Crombeen.

He is no defensive great as you are making out. Liablity is the wrong word. He is just simply sheltered because he isn't that good defensively. Its not what he's there for.

Why would LA want Pyatt and a 7th?

jg39

SFY is great
Aug 16, 2007
NC
Regarding Kyle Clifford...can we give Labrie a whole season to show that he is basically Kyle Clifford?

He hits, he fights, and Cooper knows how to get the best out of him. He's a strong checker, and occasionally pots a goal. Plus, we don't give anything away in the deal b/c he's under contract.

Labrie/Pyatt-Thompson-Crombeen is a tough checking line. Making a move for Clifford does not improve the team in my view, nor does it fill a need. If it doesn't do either of those, I question why the move would be made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad