Observations XXI

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Thanks, I appreciate the extra set of eyes. probably a function mis copied ... actually finding that the Official Game Summary has been changed since I first downloaded it and certain assists are being altered. Does anyone know when the Official Game Summary is actually the finalized??? I'm going back through all the reports now.

For instance the original OGS for Islanders game (10/6/18) had Sissons as secondary assist on Ekholms goal, now it is Hartman. I enter what is posted on the OGS the morning after the game so if they change it later my spreadsheet is off.

Think I got the assists correct now. Some problems were excel functions, some were late OGS updates.

I was acquainted with the official scorer for the Cincinnati Reds around 1980. He said that he had 24 hours to make changes, i.e changing a hit to an error or the reverse. I assume that the time limit begins when the game ends.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
Thanks, guess I need to give it another day before I put the info in my spreadsheet. Was continuing the penalty stuff that I began last year and just started tracking goals, primary and secondary assists this year. There were only a couple of late changes in the OGS and the other problem that Legionaire11 spotted was due to reference errors in a few countif functions.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
keep it up fossil. i always enjoy reading your posts. as you know i have always been big on primary assists as that truly more accurately reflects who's really driving the play versus second assists that really in general don't measure much more than plus/minus does

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
Glad I can contribute to this thread in a meaningful way. Gotta pay you and some others back for the hockey knowledge that you all provide here. I'm still dog paddling around here with the big fish and grateful that I'm not driven back into the guppy pool. Will admit that your comments led me to track primary vs secondary assists.

Reactions: Pred303

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I think I would go with a solid B/B+ for our first 20 games. Lot of room for improvement on special teams and secondary scoring. Which is scary when you think about how good our record is right now and how good we could be if the PP didn't cost us at least three games.

Think about for a second how you would feel if you were an Oilers fan. You have the undisputed best player in the world and another who is probably in the top 15 and you can't win hockey games. That to me would be the most frustrating thing in the world.

How good is McDavid? Since he came into the league he's posted 236 points. The next closest guy? Kucherov with 208. Bind blowing.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I think I would go with a solid B/B+ for our first 20 games. Lot of room for improvement on special teams and secondary scoring. Which is scary when you think about how good our record is right now and how good we could be if the PP didn't cost us at least three games.

Think about for a second how you would feel if you were an Oilers fan. You have the undisputed best player in the world and another who is probably in the top 15 and you can't win hockey games. That to me would be the most frustrating thing in the world.

How good is McDavid? Since he came into the league he's posted 236 points. The next closest guy? Kucherov with 208. Bind blowing.
And appears doomed to be the NHL version of Barry Sanders.

Reactions: PredsV82

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Looks like they are going to reward Hartman for his strong play so far this year.

Lord help us if that 4th line gets caught out there against anyone of importance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scoresberg

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
Who would have ever thought that Jarnkrok would have the highest shooting percentage on the team after 20 games? Hat trick sure helps. 1/2 his goals in one game so yeah it is skewed but still a curious situation.

upload_2018-11-19_12-47-50.png

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
I wish they would just sit Fiala for two games. Let him watch the game from a birds eye view. I fully believe in "mojo" or perhaps more accurately momentum when it comes to any player but especially young players. Sometimes it is good to get away from the game for a few days and reset your mind.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Glad I can contribute to this thread in a meaningful way. Gotta pay you and some others back for the hockey knowledge that you all provide here. I'm still dog paddling around here with the big fish and grateful that I'm not driven back into the guppy pool. Will admit that your comments led me to track primary vs secondary assists.

One thing I'd like to start doing (would have to be next season), would be to award my own adjusted statistics to see who is actually contributing how much and where. By this I mean award a primary point on each goal scored based on who was most responsible for the goal, most often it would be the player who actually scores the goal, but I could see once in a while a goal where the scorer really had minimal affect on the outcome (Smithon's butt). Then if applicable award a secondary point, and sometimes a tertiary point. I suppose it could go all the way to a fourth and fifth point in the excwptionally rare event that each player had a legitimate role in a goal being scored.

Similarly on goals against, run a similar system of awarding negative points based on how much responsibility each defending player had in allowing the goal.

It would be a heck of a project, but would certainly paint a thorough statistical portrait of effectiveness on each end of the ice.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
..have to say that our forecheck those first two periods was absolutely awesome. all four lines were really into it and hard on the puck. shows when we consistently get the puck in deep we can dominate games with the forecheck
..so many individuals had good games it's hard to single out 2 or 3 from the others.
..rinne was fantastic after that first one.
..it was a trip, but we still got lucky on that waived off goal simply because it was called.
..there is nothing as exciting in sports as a one goal hockey game in the last five minutes of the game.
..people will say 'why didn't we keep playing the same way in the third?'. understand the frustration, but you simply have to play differently protecting a 2 goal lead, especially when a team is as fast as TB.
..an illustration of why we had to back off the forecheck and alwaays keep that third man high was their second goal. that 3 on 2 developed from us trying to forecheck and them getting behind us.
..we had a couple of great PK's in this game against the best PP in the business.
..our PP has been better without subban at the point these last two because our puck movement has been quicker. no holding the puck at the point waiting for something. subban is a great individual weapon on the point, but he tends to slow the puck down waiting for a lane to shoot.
..johansen has truly been a beast.
..don't ever remember a team dominating faceoffs any more than we did. every stoppage was like a turnover to us.
..the crowd was fantastic. of course the team gave them reason to be.
..man if we could have only have buried one of those hartman, sissons, turris, watson breakaways.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Great Caesar's Ghost, what a hockey game!

If you can't appreciate that game you need to follow another sport.

That is the kind of game I try to get my non-hockey fan friends to tune in to. There is absolutely nothing better in sports than an NHL game like that one- and this coming from someone who grew up a diehard fan of the other traditional sports.

Even though we had to hang on in the third period, that was a GREAT performance. The expected goals in the game were 3.2 to 1.7 in Preds favor. Just a great, great game. All the more impressive considering we are missing two of our best players. Every win we get with Arvy and Subban out is a bonus- buying us time until they both get back.

Reactions: PredsV82
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad