Observations XXI

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
If he wins the Cup, then maybe. Without it, no dice.

The previous goalie inductees to the HHOF have set a ridiculously high bar hardware wise.

Martin Brodeur: 4 Vezina's, 5 Jennings, a Calder and 3 Cups
Rogie Vachon: 3 Cups and a Vezina
Dominik Hasek: 6 Vezina's, 3 Jennings, 2 Harts, 2 Lindsay's and 2 Cups
Ed Belfour: 2 Vezina's, 4 Jennings, a Calder and a Cup
Patrick Roy: 3 Vezina's, 5 Jennings, 3 Smythe's and 4 Cups
Grant Fuhr: Vezina, Jennings, 5 Cups
Billy Smith: Vezina, Jennings, Smythe, 4 Cups
Tony Esposito: 3 Vezina's and a Calder
Gerry Cheevers: 2 Cups
Bernie Parent: 2 Vezina's, 2 Smythe's, 2 Cups
Eddie Giacomin: Vezina
Ken Dryden: 5 Vezina's, Calder, Smythe, 6 Cups
Gump Worsley: 2 Vezina's, Calder, 4 Cups
Harry Lumley: Vezina, Cup
Jacques Plante: 7 Vezina's, Cup, 6 Cups
Johnny Bower: 2 Vezina's, 4 Cups
Glenn Hall: 3 Vezina's, Calder, Smythe, Cup
Chuck Rayner: Hart
Harry Holmes: Cup
Terry Sawchuk: 4 Vezina's, Calder, 4 Cups, Patrick
Roy Worters: Vezina, Hart
Turk Broda: 2 Vezina's, 5 Cups
Frank Brimsek: 2 Vezina's, Calder, 2 Cups
Clint Benedict: N/A
Bill Durnan: 6 Vezina's, 2 Cups
Rat Westwick: N/A
Bouse Hutton: N/A
Riley Hern: N/A
George Hainsworth: 3 Vezina's, 2 Cups
Tiny Thompson: 4 Vezina's, 1 Cup
Paddy Moran: N/A
Hughie Lehman: N/A
Alec Connell: Cup
Georges Vezina: Cup
Charlie Gardiner: 2 Vezina's, 1 Cup

Out of the active goalies, only Fleury (3 Cups) , Luongo (longevity, 4th in all time wins) and maybe Lundqvist (Vezina, 7th in wins) probably make it in.

Do those 3 HOFers have cups?

Yep. Vachon has 3, Worsley 4 and Lumley has 1

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Just looking ahead at our schedule for the next few weeks.

We have a pretty favorable one coming up. We are in the middle of a stretch of 8 out of 9 games at home, and schedule is not bad at all:

Next 15 games:
ST LOUIS
@ St Louis**
ANAHEIM
COLORADO
ARIZONA**
CHICAGO
BUFFALO*
@ Vancouver
@ Calgary
OTTAWA
VANCOUVER
NEW JERSEY
@ Ottawa
@ Chicago
@ Philadelphia**

Not one game against an elite team. And only 3 of the 15 games are against current playoff teams. That is pretty crazy.

Of course, there are no guarantees and no easy wins in the NHL. And the Preds quite often play down to the competition (see Arizona/Carolina).

But this stretch of schedule comes at a pretty good time with the Arvy and Subban injuries.

Hopefully we can take advantage of it.

Teams in bold are top ten in the league

Teams underlined are bottom ten in the league

* = top 5

** = bottom 5

9 home games out of 15. 8 games against bottom 10 clubs, 3 of which are against bottom 5 clubs.

Yeah we really need to handle business in this part of the schedule.

Reactions: King Weber

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
If the HHOF weren't as strict with their goalies I'd say there's a good chance he'd make it, but I don't know with how things are currently.

He's at 320 wins now. I believe he can get to 400 before his career ends. That's top 15 all time. I'm not saying first ballot. I believe he will sometime.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I'm assuming it's just simply an organizational decision but does anyone know why we as a team don't have Thanksgiving home games anymore? Maybe the league just doesn't want to allow it, I don't know. But I always liked them. It was nice to look forward to.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I'm assuming it's just simply an organizational decision but does anyone know why we as a team don't have Thanksgiving home games anymore? Maybe the league just doesn't want to allow it, I don't know. But I always liked them. It was nice to look forward to.

It's an awkward thing. Canada has it' thanksgiving near Halloween. America's in November. Which one do you celebrate on the league calendar? If I was commish. I'd have all American games on Canadian Thanksgiving and all Canadian games on American Thanksgiving. An even bigger BUT the NFL has usurped thanksgiving as their holiday just as the NBA has taken over Christmas. Is there a holiday that is hockey's?

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
He's at 320 wins now. I believe he can get to 400 before his career ends. That's top 15 all time. I'm not saying first ballot. I believe he will sometime.

It certainly doesn't hurt if he gets to 400.

The thing is the Hall is notoriously stingy when it comes to goalies. A Vezina definitely helps his cause and if he can win another that'd be icing on the cake. :naughty:

Speaking of Rinne, can anybody else see Peks playing into his 40s?

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
It's an awkward thing. Canada has it' thanksgiving near Halloween. America's in November. Which one do you celebrate on the league calendar? If I was commish. I'd have all American games on Canadian Thanksgiving and all Canadian games on American Thanksgiving. An even bigger BUT the NFL has usurped thanksgiving as their holiday just as the NBA has taken over Christmas. Is there a holiday that is hockey's?
I agree with the NFL thing but from what I remember, we were typically the only American team to play on Thanksgiving and we'd play at home. I think Sean Henry said something about it a few years ago but it's been a little while now.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I was just browsing around hockeydb.com and noticed a 21 yo player named Evan Fiala (no relation). Fortunately (well, not for him), he doesn't appear to be any good, so there's no fear of him making the NHL and causing confusion. His name is still a little funny, though.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Looking at the stats from last year at this time everyone is pretty close to the same pace.
Forsberg is trailing his pace some Johansen is ahead of his.

Did Forsberg have this many goals at this point last year? I dont ever remember him being on this kind of goal scoring pace. And Johansen was the talk of the NHL last year with how long it took him to score his first goal

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
That's an Off-season holiday. I kinda want the NHL to make Halloween their day. Or Easter.
Free Agency Day. Ha!

I knew what you meant. Easter works. Playoffs or end of regular season games are in session and it's always a Sunday. Valentine's Day and Halloween are hard sells because your audience is diminished.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I find it strange that the NHL has 4 of the 7 Canadian teams playing early games on the road today. Its just a regular Friday for their fans, so most of them can't watch their team, however our game is one of five around the league with two American teams playing at normal night hours. Seems like maybe the US teams should be taking up all the early spots, but whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad