Proposal: NYR - Winnipeg (Lafreniere for Scheifele)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Seems like a good hearted attempt to be fair, but no, this does not work for NY.
Overriding issue is upside of LaF, which many of us suspect is just a matter of him developing NHL level skating, keep moving his legs properly, etc.; we think he is otherwise already close to breaking out if/when that aspect of his game emerges.
The other thing is cap.
A more appealing deal for NY would be Strome + for Schief. Howev, setting that aside, just losing Strome does NOT provide cap for Scheif or any other add in trade on the books next season.
Zib + Fox = almost 12m new cap.
Moving AND NOT REPLAC ING Strome, Geo, Hajek, Nemeth + recovery of Hank's 1.5 buyout is close enuf and we can opt to sign one less guy like McKegg to cover JUST THAT.
We already may have to move Lindgren 3 x 3 to have down payment scratch for increases to LaF, Kakko, etc.
So until Triouba can be moved 2 seasons hence if not sooner, we have ZERO room to add people. ZERO.
Strome + :laugh: Poor Jet fans

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I think the issue is Laf's upside is about where Schiefele is as a player. You are trading potential and cap space for a proven really consistent 1C
but we do not have cap space to trade
Setting aside deep roster, etc etc, we do not have cap
We need every elc other than perhaps Jones [Fox redundant]; we have elc bluechips but not a surplus.

Reactions: deathb4disco

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
I would never trade a 1C for a winger unless that winger was OV or Bread or Patty Kane in his prime type.

A 1C for a prospect that, although was highly drafted, in his second NHL season is on a 20 points in 80 game pace just would never happen. It's a fireable offence for the GM moving out the core piece of their org for magic beans that if it works out likely is a point per game player, just on the wing instead of at Center.

This couldn't be an easier pass for the Jets and that is before you consider the Scheif is locked up for 2 more years after this one at a $6.125 hit for a point per game 1C.

I understand why the Rangers would want it, but there is no reason for the Jets to move out their 1st ever pick in franchise history to stockpile left wing, where we already have Connor, Ehlers and potentially Perfetti if he doesn't stick in the middle.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Scheifele will turn 29.......in 8 weeks...

Lafreniere is 20 years old....

8 1/2 years difference.

In 4 years Mark will not be the same anymore and Laf will reach his prime.

I would never trade Laf for him...age factor and it's major

Reactions: bernmeister

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Scheifele will turn 29.......in 8 weeks...

Lafreniere is 20 years old....

8 1/2 years difference.

In 4 years Mark will not be the same anymore and Laf will reach his prime.

I would never trade Laf for him...age factor and it's major
Lafreniere does not get you Scheifele 1 for 1. Just because he might be really good in 3 years...Scheifele is really good right now and might get you a Cup now.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Assuming a flat cap next year at $81.5M.

Panarin - $11.6M
Zibanejad - $8.5M
Scheifele - $6.125M
Goodrow - $3.6M
Chytil - $2.3M
Reaves - $1.75M
Hunt - $0.7M
Trouba - $8M
Lindgren - $3M
Nemeth - $2.5M
Fox - $9.5M
Miller - $0.925M
Schneider - $0.925M
Shesterkin - $5.7M

Total for 7 forwards, 6 defensemen and 1 goalie: $65M

Leaves 16M for the rest of the roster, which seems doable.

I'd get not wanting to do the trade because you think Lafreniere is going to break out, which certainly could happen. But if it does, he's going to ask for $6M+ on his next deal, which is a year away. So the cap implications would be the same, basically.

That 16 mil? First, subtract 6.5 million, because you forgot Chris Kreider (that guy leading the league in goalscoring). Then subtract about 3.5 in dead cap (the last years of the Shattenkirk, Girardi, and DeAngelo buyouts). That leaves 6 million to cover 4 regular roster forwards, a spare forward and D, and a backup goalie. Also have to account for bonuses and cap wiggle room. Even if you go league minimum on those last 7 roster spots, it puts them over the cap (for a team with 8 bottom six players--mostly 4th liners-- in the starting lineup. There are literally only four top six players in that list). And since Kakko is one of those spots to be filled, that's at least one player who won't be league minimum.

The math doesn't work. The Rangers can't absorb any medium sized contracts, to say nothing about larger contracts.

Beyond that, the Rangers' window opens after two more seasons, when their kids have had a couple playoff runs and the flat cap goes away. No point selling kids for top end talent right now.

And beyond THAT, there's the fact that Laf is the first #1 overall draft pick (and just the third top 5 overall draft pick) the Rangers have ever had in the modern era (mid-60s, when the league expanded beyond six teams). They aren't going to give him up after a year and a half of hockey.

Overrateprospects

Dec 23, 2021
Interesting proposal because Rangers couple use an upgrade at Centre but at the same time that isn’t moving the needle over Strome enough to lose Laf. Rangers could do it with couple LW prospects coming up but not sure why Jets do it losing a RHC with a franchise that has a hard time attracting top tier FA. If they are trading him it should be a younger Centre. I’m sure putting PLD next to Laf would be interesting thou

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Assuming a flat cap next year at $81.5M.

Panarin - $11.6M
Zibanejad - $8.5M
Scheifele - $6.125M
Goodrow - $3.6M
Chytil - $2.3M
Reaves - $1.75M
Hunt - $0.7M
Trouba - $8M
Lindgren - $3M
Nemeth - $2.5M
Fox - $9.5M
Miller - $0.925M
Schneider - $0.925M
Shesterkin - $5.7M

Total for 7 forwards, 6 defensemen and 1 goalie: $65M

Leaves 16M for the rest of the roster, which seems doable.

I'd get not wanting to do the trade because you think Lafreniere is going to break out, which certainly could happen. But if it does, he's going to ask for $6M+ on his next deal, which is a year away. So the cap implications would be the same, basically.

The problem is that it’s not just about next year.

You’re not thinking big picture, when it comes to cap.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Lafreniere does not get you Scheifele 1 for 1. Just because he might be really good in 3 years...Scheifele is really good right now and might get you a Cup now.

Scheifele at 20 years old..scored 13 goals.

Look what Huberdeau did at 20. Laf was better than Huberdeau in the Q..at 16,17,18 years old.

A 29 years old...for this kid...come on.

It's like the Pacioretty vs Suzuki's trade...

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Nope. Not at all.

the only way i trade laf is if the 1OA is coming back so i can draft Wright.

Plus this trade wont work salary wise for rangers.
And why would the team with the 1st OA pick trade it for a guy who has been terrible at the NHL lvl for 2 straight years?

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
If I am Winnipeg I don't touch this. Scheifele is one of the most consistent hockey smart players in the league and is only 28. I am not trading that for a guy that has shown only small flashed of what was expected of him after being drafted first overall.

Reactions: jgimp

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
For LaF? No.

MS is one of the few guys that I would entertain for Schneider though, which is a bigger need in The Peg.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Scheifele is worth more as he is a known value, is in his prime and is a center (worth more than winger). Not sure, but is Winnipeg even in a situation where they have elite depth at C?

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I don't understand why the argument is always "getting a 1c". Rangers don't need a 1c. Rangers need a very good 2c. We shouldn't be tossing away assets to acquire a 1c. Having a Crosby/Malkin, McDavid/Draisaitl (meaning a 1-2 punch down the middle with 1Cs) would be great, but there's several holes to fill and that would stop us from being able to do that.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
That 16 mil? First, subtract 6.5 million, because you forgot Chris Kreider (that guy leading the league in goalscoring). Then subtract about 3.5 in dead cap (the last years of the Shattenkirk, Girardi, and DeAngelo buyouts). That leaves 6 million to cover 4 regular roster forwards, a spare forward and D, and a backup goalie. Also have to account for bonuses and cap wiggle room. Even if you go league minimum on those last 7 roster spots, it puts them over the cap (for a team with 8 bottom six players--mostly 4th liners-- in the starting lineup. There are literally only four top six players in that list). And since Kakko is one of those spots to be filled, that's at least one player who won't be league minimum.

The math doesn't work. The Rangers can't absorb any medium sized contracts, to say nothing about larger contracts.

Beyond that, the Rangers' window opens after two more seasons, when their kids have had a couple playoff runs and the flat cap goes away. No point selling kids for top end talent right now.

And beyond THAT, there's the fact that Laf is the first #1 overall draft pick (and just the third top 5 overall draft pick) the Rangers have ever had in the modern era (mid-60s, when the league expanded beyond six teams). They aren't going to give him up after a year and a half of hockey.
Thanks very much. I've been super busy and did not have chance to provide sharp review. A+ for this solid deep dive, professor!

Reactions: smoneil

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I think the biggest issue is that Mark only has 2 years after this season left on his deal.

If you were the GM that traded a recent 1st overall for 2 years of a player, you arent going to be the GM much longer or ever again.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
To NYR: Mark Scheifele
To Winnipeg: Alexis Lafreniere

A Nieuwendyk for Iginla type trade.

NYR bolster their lineup and are in the mix as a top contender for the next 3-4 years behind Panarin (30), Kreider (30), Zibanejad (28), Scheifele (28), Trouba (27), etc.

Winnipeg kick-off a young re-tool with a big name, high-potential prospect in Lafreniere (20) to grow alongside Dubois (23), Connor (25), Perfetti (20), etc.

problem is Iginla was 11th overall, while Lafreniere was 1st overall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad