Sarnia
Trouba does not have that value. Rangers need to add 2nds to take that contract

Not according to recent reports but I also expect it to be more of a cap dump

Maybe take 4 mil poop contracts back and save the other 4 to spend elsewhere

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Frank said he has positive value so I don’t think a decent return for the rangers is unlikely. Give us one of those 2nds you can’t hoard all of them Lmao.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
I think Soderstrom or Kolyachonok for Trouba makes sense. More sense than a draft pick, IMO.

Utah takes on a LOT of cap, but gives up only a 3rd pair young D that still has to prove they're good enough to stay in the NHL long-term. They get the locker room presence, physicality, veteran player while mostly only giving up cap space, which they have a LOT of. If you've got it, then weaponize it to your advantage.

For NYR, it's the opposite. They give up all the good aspects of Trouba, and all they get back is a 3rd pair D that might not be in the NHL in 2 years. However, they open up $7 million in cap space, which is valuable in and of itself. Especially for a cup contender.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
Trouba has positive value. He is still a top 4 defenseman. His salary cap is awful but it only has 2 years left.

Rangers dont have to give anything up to trade him. We are not that desperate for cap space.

Would much rather see what Ryan Lindgren could be had for.
Easy 1st rounder+

• Haha
Reactions: Kaizen

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
This is Ben Chairot (or who was it that MTL traded to FLA) for a 1st round pick debate all over again. May the gods be on the Rangers side for this one.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Yeah I don't see Utah really having any interest in Trouba. Yes they can afford him but he's not better than Durzi, and I don't think putting Moser and Trouba together would be great either. Like he's physical and a decent defenseman but he also exposes himself to penalties a ton and isn't great defensively. And at 8m? Pretty sure Utah can find better than that in FA. Shit, Kesselring might be better than that next year.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
To Utah:
Jacob Trouba (no retention)

To NYR:
2024 3rd round pick (EDM)
1. note the new avatar and this wordsmith gives thumbs up on the blurb following

2. OP is acceptable as it is for full pop
HOWEV
also remember Troub = nmc->modif ntc and UT may/may not be on the list
and Lindy is an option

counter offer preferred:

for Trouba 1.5 retained = 6.5 hit + NYR 2024 3rd for 2 2nds

and/or

for Lindgren + 4th for 2 2nds

what say you?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I think Soderstrom or Kolyachonok for Trouba makes sense. More sense than a draft pick, IMO.

Utah takes on a LOT of cap, but gives up only a 3rd pair young D that still has to prove they're good enough to stay in the NHL long-term. They get the locker room presence, physicality, veteran player while mostly only giving up cap space, which they have a LOT of. If you've got it, then weaponize it to your advantage.

For NYR, it's the opposite. They give up all the good aspects of Trouba, and all they get back is a 3rd pair D that might not be in the NHL in 2 years. However, they open up $7 million in cap space, which is valuable in and of itself. Especially for a cup contender.
if Rs are smart + listen to bern, here they want picks, not yr prospects

Scanlin now + Fortescue in the mirror following season, we ok at LD
everyone is tight at RD
but prefer to recover cap space and see what, like Drew Helleson costs
worst case, can use Jones at 3RD

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Rags think they're getting a + value asset for Trouba with no retention? Of course they also think he's not a dirty player so...

This isn't a post by a Rangers fan my G :confused:

No, but the replies are

And those replies properly point out that at correct #, he DOES have positive value.
That correct # could be smaller return, as per OP
OR
bigger return with modest retain, as per me

Fact: JT = righty D w/size, = in demand due to shortage league wide
He has flaws but, among other +s is very effective at clearing the crease

thus he DOES have value and is not 111% cap dump exclusively

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
GMs are stupid about big physical RDs and Trouba isn't old. Wouldn't be surprised if there's someone out there willing to give something up for that. Maybe you send a contract the other way to lower the impact of the cap hit.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
Ummm do the math. Hid contract ends before any 8m cap jump occurs
Well it jumped $4.5m for this coming season and the 25/26 season is is expected to go up a further $4m to $92m.

Do the math. $4m + $4.5m = $8.5m over the next next two seasons

Rags think they're getting a + value asset for Trouba with no retention? Of course they also think he's not a dirty player so...
Rangers will not pay to get rid of Trouba's contract. Rangers will get a + asset if they trade him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad