Prospect Info: 2024 112th OA : Javon Moore (LW)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
ranked 60-118 by various publications so a solid grab at 112. Bit of an enigma from what I'm reading, largely due to playing high school level and dominating physically (playing below his level as HS hockey is so big in Minnesota). Will be interesting to see how he does as a rookie in the much more physically mature NCAA.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Wasn’t the last guy we drafted out of Minnesota high school Brian Lee?

I remember Brian Lee.

Here's his picture from the draft:

1719683682872.png

R2010

May 23, 2011
I like the pick. Also easy to see there has been some changes because we know this guy wouldn't have been picked by Melnyk owned teams...

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
That's more the kind of pick we need to make, a big swing for the fences. It's a huge boom or bust pick but at least if he hits, we're not a getting a third liner like we hoped for Tyler Boucher.

Ranked #97 by CONSOLIDATED RANKING
Ranked #60 by ELITEPROSPECTS.COM
Ranked #89 by TSN/CRAIG BUTTON
Ranked #96 by THN/FERRARI
Ranked #83 by THN/KENNEDY
Ranked #115 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY
Ranked #72 by FCHOCKEY
Ranked #92 by DAILY FACEOFF
Ranked #47 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (NA Skaters)
Ranked #118 by RECRUIT SCOUTING
Ranked #75 by DOBBERPROSPECTS

Good value pick at #112

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022

Love that he is so clear-headed, very well spoken and rational. He is very realistic and clear-eyed about what he needs to do, where he plans to go and how long that should realistically take. Numerous times he spoke of team, buddies and success. There was very little "me" in that interview, other than when he was asked about what his path is. Small sample but I am very impressed at the maturity.

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Surprising that a lot of teams passed on him, must have some red flags because he looks like a 3rd round pick at the very least, I would even dare to say 2nd round but I think it's due to the fact that he only played in US high school. I'm thinking he would have been ON the radar big time if he played in the OHL for example.

I was thinking "must have attitude problems or something" but doesn't sound like that. Major breakout prospect candidate for me. But he's a long term project, looks like a raw prospect so we'll have to be patient

The Dobber ratings are pretty telling IMO :

Huge boom or bust, perfect in the 4th round, could be a major steal

Few players available this year can match his combination of speed, size and skill, and he may have top 6 upside if it all works out; but this is definitely a swing for the fences. David Saad (April Rankings: 84th)

Last edited:

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Wasn’t the last guy we drafted out of Minnesota high school Brian Lee?
Luke Loheit

He also attended Minnetonka HS.

The company I work for has an office in Minny so I have seen a few high school games. Didn't get to see Javon but I saw Luke and I wasn't impressed with him. He was a 7th rounder though.

Javon looks to have much more upside - I am sad I didn't go to any games this past year.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Elite Prospects
Transitionally, Moore’s game is full of large-area handling and separation as he stretches his stride out to create power. This is a crafty player who utilizes delay elements to open room and disrupt gaps, blending slip-passing and saucer feeds through layers. He hunts for give-and-goes across his line, allowing him to drive dangerous areas of the ice with his size and find soft areas of the ice to get into a position to shoot off the pass

Corey Pronman - The Athletic - May 28th: "On his best shifts, Moore looks like an NHL forward. I would call those best shifts inconsistent though. I didn't think he dominated high school opponents like his talent dictated he should, whether it was due to so-so hockey sense or too much perimeter play."

David Saad - Dobber Prospects - Apr. 20th: "He’s a really booming athlete with a lot of immediate appeal. He skates hard, he fights hard, he shoots hard all of that is great; but the hockey sense is really up in the air. Moore has not really been challenged to adapt at the high school level and he’s been able to get by so far on just simply being more athletic then his competition."

Bill Placzek
Minnetonka high schooler with a unique power-finesse package. He is a tall wiry strong off handed winger, but not overly aggressive given his nature. This smooth and silky project is equally capable of unleashing his wicked writer or or addling sauce to a linemate. Had an incredible start, leading all Minnesota high schools in scoring. As of mid-February, he had 22 goals and 48 points in 25 games. It is H.S. competition, he needs a wind up in his snapper but the pick still explodes off his lumber with big time velocity. It will need to be sped up for success at the next levels. His defensive game is lack in details. He is committed to the University of Minnesota.

Hockey Prospect
Moore was at his best this season when he played a straight line, north-south power forward game with speed. He
needs to continue to develop his first step but his motor and top end speed is good and he has solid agility at high
speed to jump in and out of lanes to get to the net. Moore has the ability to use his strong, athletic frame well down low
and protect the puck while buying time for plays to present themselves. Moore excels along the walls to win battles and
then showed good vision and playmaking ability to set up chances coming off the walls and to find guys with speed in
the neutral zone in transition.
Playing with more of an identity and consistency as well as continuing to develop his explosiveness with his feet will
determine his pro ceiling in the next couple of years. Moore is committed to play for the University of Minnesota but will
likely need a year of junior hockey before he is ready to make that step so he will likely play next year in Sioux Falls
(USHL).

West Coast Eagles

Sep 24, 2008
Bne
Elite Prospects
Transitionally, Moore’s game is full of large-area handling and separation as he stretches his stride out to create power. This is a crafty player who utilizes delay elements to open room and disrupt gaps, blending slip-passing and saucer feeds through layers. He hunts for give-and-goes across his line, allowing him to drive dangerous areas of the ice with his size and find soft areas of the ice to get into a position to shoot off the pass

Corey Pronman - The Athletic - May 28th: "On his best shifts, Moore looks like an NHL forward. I would call those best shifts inconsistent though. I didn't think he dominated high school opponents like his talent dictated he should, whether it was due to so-so hockey sense or too much perimeter play."

David Saad - Dobber Prospects - Apr. 20th: "He’s a really booming athlete with a lot of immediate appeal. He skates hard, he fights hard, he shoots hard all of that is great; but the hockey sense is really up in the air. Moore has not really been challenged to adapt at the high school level and he’s been able to get by so far on just simply being more athletic then his competition."

Bill Placzek
Minnetonka high schooler with a unique power-finesse package. He is a tall wiry strong off handed winger, but not overly aggressive given his nature. This smooth and silky project is equally capable of unleashing his wicked writer or or addling sauce to a linemate. Had an incredible start, leading all Minnesota high schools in scoring. As of mid-February, he had 22 goals and 48 points in 25 games. It is H.S. competition, he needs a wind up in his snapper but the pick still explodes off his lumber with big time velocity. It will need to be sped up for success at the next levels. His defensive game is lack in details. He is committed to the University of Minnesota.

Hockey Prospect
Moore was at his best this season when he played a straight line, north-south power forward game with speed. He
needs to continue to develop his first step but his motor and top end speed is good and he has solid agility at high
speed to jump in and out of lanes to get to the net. Moore has the ability to use his strong, athletic frame well down low
and protect the puck while buying time for plays to present themselves. Moore excels along the walls to win battles and
then showed good vision and playmaking ability to set up chances coming off the walls and to find guys with speed in
the neutral zone in transition.
Playing with more of an identity and consistency as well as continuing to develop his explosiveness with his feet will
determine his pro ceiling in the next couple of years. Moore is committed to play for the University of Minnesota but will
likely need a year of junior hockey before he is ready to make that step so he will likely play next year in Sioux Falls
(USHL).
You’re a saint for doing this across all the draftees.

Reactions: DrEasy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad