Proposal: [NYR - MTL] Lundkvist for Lehkonen

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
The NYR are set at RD long term with Trouba, Fox and Schneider. They need quality players in their bottom 6 for the playoffs.

Montreal are sellers and lack RHD in their system.

The trade:

NYR gets: Lehkonen, 5th round pick in 2022.

Montreal gets: Lundkvist, 2nd round pick in 2022 (lowest between NYR's and St-Louis's)

Fair?

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
The NYR are set at RD long term with Trouba, Fox and Schneider. They need quality players in their bottom 6 for the playoffs.

Montreal are sellers and lack RHD in their system.

The trade:

NYR gets: Lehkonen, 5th round pick in 2022.

Montreal gets: Lundkvist, 2nd round pick in 2022 (lowest between NYR's and St-Louis's)

Fair?
Makes a fellow think. But I am not sure

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Rangers fans, what's prevented Lundkvist from taking that next step?
He was thrown on the bottom pair this season with Nemeth who was really, really bad for the first half of the season. Nemeth has played better as of late, but that ideally was not the right early partner for him. He's also a puck mover who will never see powerplay #1 on our team with Fox, so he was given limited 3rd line minutes. I know fans and hockey media don't care much about +/-, but he was only a minus in 5 out of the 25 games he played. It wasn't like he was terrible. But Schneider has taken that 3rd line role and our coach wants Nemeth in the lineup for size. Lundkvist got better as the games went on. He was getting pushed around in the first handful of so games. That's not going to be his area of success.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Finally a trade proposal that is relatively even and solves needs for both teams. As a neutral fan (AZ) I could see something like this happening. I was reading that MTL is looking for a first, but Lundkvist is a decent prospect so him + a 2nd or a 3rd probably equals a first you would think.

I do wonder if NYR can get more for Lundkvist elsewhere, there's a real shortage of RHD in the league right now. But absolutely no one would be surprised if a deal like this actually happened at the TDL. Great job OP

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He was getting pushed around in the first handful of so games. That's not going to be his area of success.
Nor are 1 goal and 4 points in 25 games for an relatively undersized "offensive" defenseman. We already have those and better is on the way.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
A very good and proven bottom six with outstanding defensive game for a B prospect that may never be.

The second has more value....but still...

No.
I mean, you don't exactly get a really good A prospect for that, or a player that's going to be that in an even swap. If a player like Lehkonen is being traded, you're basically saying you don't expect to make playoffs (which they don't), and you need to get younger and build up your potential future roster with picks/prospects. I'm not sure holding out for a 1st is a better offer than this unless you feel Lundkvist doesn't have a future spot, which is a fair assessment, but I think any offer is going to involve prospect that may never be.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Nor are 1 goal and 4 points in 25 games for an relatively undersized "offensive" defenseman. We already have those and better is on the way.

It's his first year in the NHL after being a standout in the Swedish League (yes, it's the Swedish League but still made up of professionals). He's also only 21. Way too early to write Lundkvist off

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Lehkonen doesn't get Lundkvist on his own, let alone an add on top of that.

Counter-proposal:
Barclay Goodrow, 5th
for
Guhle, 2nd (lowest)

Bottom 6er and a 5th for the team's best D prospect outside the NHL and a 2nd. Because let's be clear, that's what OP is suggesting.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
That would be a good deal for both teams. The habs need RD. The rangers want Lehkonen, and have too many RDs.

WhoTagz

Jan 28, 2017
Pennsylvania
He was thrown on the bottom pair this season with Nemeth who was really, really bad for the first half of the season. Nemeth has played better as of late, but that ideally was not the right early partner for him. He's also a puck mover who will never see powerplay #1 on our team with Fox, so he was given limited 3rd line minutes. I know fans and hockey media don't care much about +/-, but he was only a minus in 5 out of the 25 games he played. It wasn't like he was terrible. But Schneider has taken that 3rd line role and our coach wants Nemeth in the lineup for size. Lundkvist got better as the games went on. He was getting pushed around in the first handful of so games. That's not going to be his area of success.

Tbh I think Nemeth has played so much better or rather looked better due to playing with schneids.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Nothing really. They wanted to give Schneider a look because they wanted a bigger body back there and Schneider has absolutely deserved to keep his place. That’s not anything negative about Nils, just Schneider being very very good.

WhoTagz

Jan 28, 2017
Pennsylvania
Lehkonen doesn't get Lundkvist on his own, let alone an add on top of that.

Counter-proposal:
Barclay Goodrow, 5th
for
Guhle, 2nd (lowest)

Bottom 6er and a 5th for the team's best D prospect outside the NHL and a 2nd. Because let's be clear, that's what OP is suggesting.

What is the point of countering and taking out the main reason for the proposal? Goodrow has been a perfect fit for the rangers and there is no point in getting rid of him.

If Lundkvist doesn't fetch Lehkonen with or without an add then the trade will not happen. But to reiterate Gorton likes his drafted prospects and might just pay an arm and a leg to get them back :D

Reactions: SML2

WhoTagz

Jan 28, 2017
Pennsylvania
Nothing really. They wanted to give Schneider a look because they wanted a bigger body back there and Schneider has absolutely deserved to keep his place. That’s not anything negative about Nils, just Schneider being very very good.

Also sending nils to the AHL to learn Na ice and get top mins to grow to not direct correlation with his play.

Reactions: egelband

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island

He played 25 games at the start of the season, looked okay but never really seized the moment. His partner was Nemeth and he had a dreadful start for us so that didnt help. Then they decided to give a few others a shot at 3rd pair RD and then when Braden Schneider played his first game they never looked back. From everything I've heard recently Nils has been great in Hartford. All it takes is 1 injury to our right side and he is likely playing with the big club

Reactions: Galvatron

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad