Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] F Alexis Lafreniere signs extension with the Rangers (7 years, $7.45M AAV)

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I'm happy it's under 8. One less possible UFA year, but not that big a deal unless he massively outplays this contract. Even then, it provides a bit more flexibility if he doesn't live up to it.

If he plays at a 20-30-50 pace every year in that deal, it's still fine. The cap boom is going to make like this look like peanuts.

But he was talking about the future. Laf just turned 23 and as mentioned many many times his usage is depressing his point totals. I'm not saying anything about right now. He said he'll never be better in the future. With all due respect to Stutzle he's not McDavid, Laf CAN overtake him in the future.

Laf is a better 5v5 player but Stutzle is legit better on the PP, can't fault the latter for being good in that situation. Laf had his chance there when Kreider was out last year and he looked abysmal there.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
If he plays at a 20-30-50 pace every year in that deal, it's still fine. The cap boom is going to make like this look like peanuts.

Laf is a better 5v5 player but Stutzle is legit better on the PP, can't fault the latter for being good in that situation. Laf had his chance there when Kreider was out last year and he looked abysmal there.

This couldn't have been last year, Kreider played 82 games last year. Even before last year Kreider missed 3 games in the previous two years. Either you're thinking of someone else or misremembering. I don't remember Laf on PP1 at all last year but if he was it was a very short period of time. I do think that it's entirely possible that Laf won't be as good on the PP as he is at even strength but we just don't have enough experience to point to it.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
This couldn't have been last year, Kreider played 82 games last year. Even before last year Kreider missed 3 games in the previous two years. Either you're thinking of someone else or misremembering. I don't remember Laf on PP1 at all last year but if he was it was a very short period of time. I do think that it's entirely possible that Laf won't be as good on the PP as he is at even strength but we just don't have enough experience to point to it.

It had to have been a few years ago then cause I specifically remember Laf getting net front time there even though it was a few games and the powerplay didn't score a goal in those games and he looked lost. And yeah, I don't think it's anything to be mad over. Laf is a great 5v5 player, NYR needs more line drivers and 5v5 players.

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
This is a little premature but I think maybe in a few years. You'll probably get mocked. I will say THIS YEAR if he spends most of the year on the PP he'll be a PPG player. He's PPG as is off only even strength points.
It is premature, and I could give af what others gotta say. This kid is dynamic. Why wouldn’t he put up 100 with Panarin?

Jerz guy already laughed at that, too bad his franchise player is a p***y frat boy.

And that’s what I mean, he’s been dynamic, all over the ice handling the puck. Carrying off from a great playoff run and seems like at least he’ll be a .8-ppg player this season at 23 thats no where near his prime, why can he be that type of offensive player?

J

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It had to have been a few years ago then cause I specifically remember Laf getting net front time there even though it was a few games and the powerplay didn't score a goal in those games and he looked lost. And yeah, I don't think it's anything to be mad over. Laf is a great 5v5 player, NYR needs more line drivers and 5v5 players.

For some reason Gallant tried to turn him into Chris Kreider and even though he scored a bunch of goals in front of the net (and got made fun of it by HFNJD for it) he wasn't that guy. We want him to take the place of Mika who is a turnover machine of the PP.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
For some reason Gallant tried to turn him into Chris Kreider and even though he scored a bunch of goals in front of the net (and made fun of it by HFNJD for it) he wasn't that guy. We want him to take the place of Mika who is a turnover machine of the PP.

Zibanejad is a whole different convo lol, dude's a lost cause. Maybe it's the concussions taking their toll or he's costing after inking that big deal but he's just so nonchalant in his demeanor when I watch him. Not sure Lafreniere would be good there actually, I actually think the best spot for him would be Trocheck's spot but that PP1 needs a faceoff guy and Zib's been up and down in his career to be fully trusted there.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Zibanejad is a whole different convo lol, dude's a lost cause. Maybe it's the concussions taking their toll or he's costing after inking that big deal but he's just so nonchalant in his demeanor when I watch him. Not sure Lafreniere would be good there actually, I actually think the best spot for him would be Trocheck's spot but that PP1 needs a faceoff guy and Zib's been up and down in his career to be fully trusted there.

I mean his concussions were from before 19-20 when he was an animal. I used to think that he was mentally weak and had confidence issues. Now I think he just doesn't give a f*** after signing his contract. I feel like his approach to hockey is like Eric the clown in Seinfeld "this is just a gig, this is not my life".

paragon

May 5, 2010
He's tied for second most even strength goals in the league behind Matthews since last February. 28 goals in 56 games (including 16 playoff games) without scoring a single power play goal. And it's not a fluke, he was extremely good in playoffs.

The deal is going to be a steal already this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see him score 50 goals at some point, if he starts getting 1st PP minutes.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Unless NYR lets Igor walk (but then still has to sign 2 goalies), they are going to be in a tough cap spot this offseason.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
View attachment 921561
It's not really an apples-to-apples comparison in terms of ice time.

View attachment 921565
When you look at G/60 and P/60 at 5 on 5, Laf has outproduced Raymond thus far.

We'll see where they go from here, but I'd say both contracts are fair.
Do you think Brandon Hagel is a better player than Matthew Tkachuck or Leon Draisaitl?

If not, then you need to stop using “p/60” as some kind of real meaningful stat

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
It is premature, and I could give af what others gotta say. This kid is dynamic. Why wouldn’t he put up 100 with Panarin?

Jerz guy already laughed at that, too bad his franchise player is a p***y frat boy.

And that’s what I mean, he’s been dynamic, all over the ice handling the puck. Carrying off from a great playoff run and seems like at least he’ll be a .8-ppg player this season at 23 thats no where near his prime, why can he be that type of offensive player?

J
He played 1,000+ 5v5 minutes with Panarin last year and only had 57?

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

Kreider has missed four games total the last three years. None last year.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
He played 1,000+ 5v5 minutes with Panarin last year and only had 57?

I think 100+ points is ambitious obviously but Laf has been steadily improving all year last year into the playoffs and into this year. He had a good year last year given no PP1 time if you look over the course of the entire year but if you view it as a young player improving during the course of the year it's better. That said I don't know if the timelines match up, even if Laf is good enough for 100+ points at some point, no guarentee that Panarin would be here at that point.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Do you think Brandon Hagel is a better player than Matthew Tkachuck or Leon Draisaitl?

If not, then you need to stop using “p/60” as some kind of real meaningful stat
Do you think Raymond is a better player than Laf because he gets significantly more PP time?

If so, then you need to stop using raw points as some kind of meaningful stat

Reactions: QJL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad