Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] F Alexis Lafreniere signs extension with the Rangers (7 years, $7.45M AAV)

Forsbergaura21

Jul 20, 2024
Nothing wrong with this deal.

I don’t mind signing a good young player long-term. It’s when NyR overpays for older guys like Trouba that I have an issue…

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
it makes the raymond contract look slightly worse, as the wings are paying half a mil more for a faster but probably less effective hockey player.
Raymond has been better by a fairly large margin each and every season they have been in the NHL for half a million more :laugh:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It’s not a controversial opinion. Laf is clearly behind Stutzle, Sanderson and Faber. Obviously that could change but as of today he’s 4th in that class. Maybe lower.

But he was talking about the future. Laf just turned 23 and as mentioned many many times his usage is depressing his point totals. I'm not saying anything about right now. He said he'll never be better in the future. With all due respect to Stutzle he's not McDavid, Laf CAN overtake him in the future.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Solid contract. I probably would have went to 6 years if I was him kind of a 2 + 6 = 8. Taking him to 29 instead of 30. Curious what type of pay day he will get when he is 30.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
But he was talking about the future. Laf just turned 23 and as mentioned many many times his usage is depressing his point totals. I'm not saying anything about right now. He said he'll never be better in the future. With all due respect to Stutzle he's not McDavid, Laf CAN overtake him in the future.
Sanderson is better than Stutzle. He's the guy to pass to get to the top of that draft class.

Reactions: Volt

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Nice mental gymnastics.

His contact is 7.45M x 7 - period.

It might work out, it might not.

I'm glad that Ottawa locked up Stutzle when they did, but he has/had accomplished more at a much more valuable position.

If you compare ELC production for 1st year eligible players, Stutzle was tracking like a sure bet. Laf, not so much.

That being said, I think and hope it works out but for Laf but I would much prefer Stutzle on his contract.

It's not mental gymnastics.

The premise of my post, which was made weeks ago, was that UFA years command a higher premium, and an 8 year (the rumoured length at the time) contract buys up significantly more UFA years than some of the other 8M contracts that we have seen handed out right off of an ELC..

This was validated today when it was reported that the AAV was lower than originally expected because the Rangers opted to buy one less UFA year. AKA, UFA years cost more to buy than RFA years.

The point of adding both contracts together was to give a visual illustration of the difference in value between RFA and UFA years.

I'm surprised I have to defend the notion that agents and players put a higher value on buying up UFA years. And that s contract with more UFA years isn't an apples to apples comparison to a contract with less. I assumed it was common knowledge.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Raymond has been better by a fairly large margin each and every season they have been in the NHL for half a million more :laugh:
1729891603820.png

It's not really an apples-to-apples comparison in terms of ice time.

1729892088930.png

When you look at G/60 and P/60 at 5 on 5, Laf has outproduced Raymond thus far.

We'll see where they go from here, but I'd say both contracts are fair.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Wonder if he is a product of breadman but the kid stepped up in the post season more than a few seasons now. Former #1 overall so has the skills no doubt. Rangers locked up their lucky lottery ball. Good for them.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad