Proposal: Nyr-dal

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
I'm not a fan of both teams, but those Dallas fans who against the trade are laughable. Zuccarello alone worths more, than this package.

Because cost controlled assets are super valuable down the line and dumping them to add offense to the best offensive team is pointless?

Zucc makes our offense better but we don't need it to be better and not at the cost of our best assets

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
When you get a solid 1st liner on a good contract for cheaper than he actually worth, it allways addresses your need.

Except it doesn't... Zucc just adds to what we are the best at, scoring. Then down the line when we need Nuke's bridge and Honka ELC to help us stay good while under the cap we won't have them and have to offload talent at a premium

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
I'm not a fan of both teams, but those Dallas fans who against the trade are laughable. Zuccarello alone worths more, than this package.

I think I'm the only one here who thinks this is actually a good deal for both teams.

So much of Dallas' offense is tied up in free agents and veterans. 'Sugar' would be the solid in between offensive depth.

The only reason I don't take it as a Dallas fan is because Honka will add so much to Dallas' transition game. Honka actually reminds me a lot of Zucc himself: not big, but plays big, and aggressive in both zones. And defense is where the team will improve from the inside. They don't need to sign big time free agents. They need to hit a home run in free agency because Dallas' goalie drafting and goaltending is an embarrassment (thanks Mike Valley).

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Because cost controlled assets are super valuable down the line and dumping them to add offense to the best offensive team is pointless?

Zucc makes our offense better but we don't need it to be better and not at the cost of our best assets

Except it doesn't... Zucc just adds to what we are the best at, scoring. Then down the line when we need Nuke's bridge and Honka ELC to help us stay good while under the cap we won't have them and have to offload talent at a premium

Both of these are correct, especially with regards to Honka. He may not hold amazing value or be ranked incredibly high around the league, but what he brings to the table in the near future for us is more important than adding a very good forward, even if on a great contract.

LordJamieBenn

Feb 26, 2015
Dallas/Pittsburgh
Terrible for the Rangers. Lose their best forward for a bust and a prospect. Makes no sense. Zucc could get shattenkirk.

Bust? He's had one rough season and that was after missing an entire season from having a hip surgery. It's quite common for you players to have sophomore slumps and most of those occur without missing an entire season... To say he's a bust is pretty ignorant at this point...

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Both of these are correct, especially with regards to Honka. He may not hold amazing value or be ranked incredibly high around the league, but what he brings to the table in the near future for us is more important than adding a very good forward, even if on a great contract.

In the March 2016 hockey prospect rankings, Honka was 20th, not exactly chicken feed. Also, our highest ranking prospect (DG was 34, Dickenson 68th)

The rankings compared him to Karlson, although note his small size. Others compare him to Klingberg. Given how long its been since the Stars had an elite puck mover, you can see why Nill would want to keep two of the best young ones around. One for each PP unit, and a spare in case the other gets injured. Nice to have that kind of depth at a skill position.

My guess is all other prospects would be on the table for an upgrade at a position of need, which is clearly goalie and maybe a vet defensive D.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I feel like you are missing the boat here. Basically, our two turd goalies put our high flying team on the top of the WC last year. Unless you have a trade proposal which drastically improves our goaltending duo while subtracting one of the current ones without also shipping out a top prospect, there isn't much to talk about.

No, that's being greedy on your part, sorry I gotta call ya out here.
You admit you have 2 turd Gs, you want NY to take one back, that is separate and apart from the transaction of paying for what we are sending. Not saying we won't try to help, but kindly admit that is not free, and you have to pay for that. As to dramatic, it would be nice if a Cam Talbot were available but does not appear to be had. Also, again cap reality. Cap limitations, Raanta a 1 for a half solution is reasonable, with Halvy down the road, buys you time as you flip either or both of your turds to work out of your situation.

Finally as to "without also shipping out a top prospect", what, are you kidding me? Why should any club send another valued assets without getting a substantive return? What would you consider fair for NY if not Gurianov?

Btw, when someone says "so and so has not proven able to do such and such", a reasonable and effective counter is not "well he has not proven that he can't"
you are ignoring the follow through, which is he only sat cause he was behind King Hank.

What's unfair about it? He lost his job to Darling in Chicago during a season, not because of age or cost. They made the decision based on who could help them win. When Crawford struggled in the playoffs, Darling saved their bacon before he went on to struggle. Most people would say that a player who lost his spot to an average backup is probably not going to become an NHL starter. This isn't Cory Schneider waiting in the wings to become one of the best goalies in the NHL, this is a journeyman backup.

If we are talking about facts and perception, the fact is we did pretty good with Lehtonen and Niemi last year. 50 wins, #1 seed, 7 playoff wins. Another fact is that this system change shaved 10 points off Lehtonen's save percentage. 4 goalies have come through Dallas during it and none have been close to league average in boxcar stats. Enroth for example had a .906 with us, then he went to LA and put up better numbers than Raanta. If you believe in some kind of transitive property of goaltending this should raise a mighty red flag on Raanta.

Now that we have a neat comparable, lets see how much people value goalies. It says here, nobody wanted Enroth and he took a big pay cut to 750k in late August. If we could get a better, cheaper goalie for free that late in the summer, I don't see the part where you get a 1st rounder from 2015 for your backup. And don't kid yourself about Halverson, he is worthless. He'll be lucky to have the lofty career of journeyman backup Raanta, like 95% of goalie prospects that are also worth zero. We've already got 3 or 4 Halversons, we don't need yours. And if you thought he might be something, you'd never trade him to us instead of grooming him to eventually replace Lundqvist.

If that is truly the case, then there would be no basis to go beyond Raanta as for immediate help. Do other Stars fans concur you have solid Gs in the pipeline? As to NYR, and replacing Lundqvist, even without Shesty, we have Skapski and Hulska.

As to Darling, I apologize if I was not more clear
All I meant is each had value, but Darling was younger, younger is usually cap friendlier at min., and possibly has higher potential. As to Crawford, warts and all, he IS THE guy for them, cause he has shown he can handle playoff pressure.

Even that is iffy. It's not a bad deal on paper, but then Dallas has three backup goalies. Raanta was really good last year, but 24 games is a very small serving. This is not as bad as the original deal, but still a risky deal because of the inexperience of Raanta.

thank you
hence the addition of Halvy for down the road, and it is for you guys to flip the incumbents as you see fit.
consider him more underutilized than inexperienced given his time in Chicago

Man I hate Chicago as much as anyone but this is selling Crawford short. He is a good goalie and calling marginally better than Raanta is a terrible judge of skill. Crawford is a much better goalie than Raanta and Raanta is not that great/has not shown the ability to play a starter role as shown by no none offering him more than back up money.

like i said they are both good.
Crawford cuts the mustard, then goes cold, then cuts it again, but he always shows up in the playoffs, that's the horn he can toot. That's why he gets top $.

Does not mean if the martians kidnapped Craw, and Raanta filled in, they'd lose the playoffs.
In other words, unlike your guys in Dallas, no track record of major AOL for playoffs.

Absolutely no. Dallas is not trading their recent 12th pick for a backup goalie and a goalie prospect...

How about Buch for Oduya and a 3rd?

Your vote of no is acknowledged, thank you.
My comments on value and demand for return are noted herein.

Dallas only gives up top prospects for a clear upgrade to go for a cup IMO. So from NYR that means Lundqvist, who has a NMC and has never given any inclination that he will waive. Neither of Halverson/Raanta are enough of a proven upgrade to require payment like Gurianov/Honka.

would argue Raanta is def improvement and, not alone by himself, enough of a down payment, esp given his salary (1m) and term (2yrs) very favorable. A Hank type will be upwards of 8m, even less, is prohibitive.

:laugh: Show me one Stars fan that agrees with you that Raanta and Halverson are enough of a core for a deal involving one of their top prospects and then we'll decide whose assertion is wrong. Respectfully.

trying to assess if that is the case, and if not, how far off is it. Is it a core and a solid add does it, or not enough even then. Any constructive analysis you would add in that regard is welcome. So far not enough sampling. Also, I don't mind Gurianov being highly rated, but I feel Raanta and Halverson underrated. If that gap is not bridged, no deal.

Also, while not endorsing, post 53 recognized Raanta COULD be worth discussing as and for an improvement

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
His point is that as bad as Niemi and Kari were at times, we still won the West with them.

Ranta is not a solution, period, he would instead add a huge question mark, at least we know both our current guys can handle 40+ games, something Ranta has never done. I would rather not make a move at goalie at all then trade you anything of major value for Ranta. Just about every Stars fan has said the same. If we are trading major trade chips like our most recent first founders we want a better return than an oldish back up. Its not being unfair, its being realistic. You say its because he is behind Lundquist, he doesnt get to play more games, more like NY got him because they didnt need a guy to carry the load because they have Lundquist. Like many have said this deal makes no sense for us, it fixes no problems, and instead creates new ones, and adds another huge question mark in goal.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
If that is truly the case, then there would be no basis to go beyond Raanta as for immediate help. Do other Stars fans concur you have solid Gs in the pipeline? As to NYR, and replacing Lundqvist, even without Shesty, we have Skapski and Hulska.

As to Darling, I apologize if I was not more clear
All I meant is each had value, but Darling was younger, younger is usually cap friendlier at min., and possibly has higher potential. As to Crawford, warts and all, he IS THE guy for them, cause he has shown he can handle playoff pressure.

Raanta is 6 months younger than Darling, but thanks for taking the time to clear that up.

Raanta made 14 appearances in the regular season in 14-15 for Chicago. Darling also made 14 appearances AND he played in 5 playoff games including multiple starts against Nashville. Raanta was the backup and then during the season he lost his job to Darling. When a backup goalie loses his backup goalie job, that is a huge red flag.

When a person suggests that a backup who lost his backup job is capable of providing league average goaltending in 3x the number of appearances, that person has lost touch with reality.

Last edited:

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
trying to assess if that is the case, and if not, how far off is it. Is it a core and a solid add does it, or not enough even then. Any constructive analysis you would add in that regard is welcome. So far not enough sampling. Also, I don't mind Gurianov being highly rated, but I feel Raanta and Halverson underrated. If that gap is not bridged, no deal.

Also, while not endorsing, post 53 recognized Raanta COULD be worth discussing as and for an improvement

You are not going to find a single stars fan who think trading their recent 12th overall pick for a career backup and a goalie prospect. If you think those 2 goalies have value remotely close to that you are insanely biased to Rangers pieces.

Ill reiterate it, a comparable would be Buchnevich for Oduya + 2nd. I know I said 3rd originally but I bumped it a little. If you think that offer is terrible then you now realize how bad your offer is seen by everyone else

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Dallas was not willing to part with a 1st or Honka for Talbot when he was still available why the hell would they pay even more for a worse goalie in Raanta ? Raanta's numbers would take a gigantic nosedive with Dallas see Enroth , Jhonas or so many other obvious backup goalies we aquired in the past.

The problem is not the numbers anyway its the inability to somewhat consistently come up with big saves when the team needs them . Dallas needs a goalie who can bail out the team every now and again , a real difference maker. Thats not Niemi , the 2016 version of Lehtonen ( the 2010-2013 version might've been though ) and its definitely not Raanta either.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
No, that's being greedy on your part, sorry I gotta call ya out here.
You admit you have 2 turd Gs, you want NY to take one back, that is separate and apart from the transaction of paying for what we are sending.

Missed the point again. I was being facetious by calling them turds; they were alright. And the goalie you are offering us as an answer to their weaknesses is, well, underwhelming.

Round and round this conversation goes. I would rather have our two guys than trade an asset of any meaningful value for Raanta.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Rangers are in win now mode, no reason for them to do this.

No, they are retooling to extent possible
will rebuild if necessary, which may be avoidable

this friggin sacrifice assets to win now is over,
gorton is too smart to screw this up and he won't yield to AV like Slats did.

You are not going to find a single stars fan who think trading their recent 12th overall pick for a career backup and a goalie prospect. If you think those 2 goalies have value remotely close to that you are insanely biased to Rangers pieces.

Ill reiterate it, a comparable would be Buchnevich for Oduya + 2nd. I know I said 3rd originally but I bumped it a little. If you think that offer is terrible then you now realize how bad your offer is seen by everyone else

For your assessment to be correct, Raanta would have to be less than a top calibre backup, when arguably he is, and Halverson would have to be run of the mill, not a top prospect.

In the totality of circumstances, including that Raanta is only 1 per x 2, I don't consider the late first early second pick Raanta fetches PLUS another second for Halvy, maybe with a conditional future pick if he lives up to expectations to be worth a higher first. We can quibble if higher is 12OA.

Upon reflection, in an effort to be fair, I would add insurance vs Halvy bust, plus a small add, say Bernhardt, who is a talented F prospect, but one in need of improved skating.

Dallas was not willing to part with a 1st or Honka for Talbot when he was still available why the hell would they pay even more for a worse goalie in Raanta ? Raanta's numbers would take a gigantic nosedive with Dallas see Enroth , Jhonas or so many other obvious backup goalies we aquired in the past.

The problem is not the numbers anyway its the inability to somewhat consistently come up with big saves when the team needs them . Dallas needs a goalie who can bail out the team every now and again , a real difference maker. Thats not Niemi , the 2016 version of Lehtonen ( the 2010-2013 version might've been though ) and its definitely not Raanta either.

Underline = nail on the head
bold = disagree, why would you say that?
sure, there is no way to know for sure, but w/Ranger D subpar he held up fine.

Missed the point again. I was being facetious by calling them turds; they were alright. And the goalie you are offering us as an answer to their weaknesses is, well, underwhelming.

Round and round this conversation goes. I would rather have our two guys than trade an asset of any meaningful value for Raanta

bold 1 - disagree
bold 2 - respect your right to that opinion.
The feedback is too small to be a meaningful sample, but this is the consensus.

Accordingly, conversation ended, for now.
you may get lucky, but if the pair you have has proven they can't do it playoff time, it is on you to not replace them. To that end, expect to pay, cause it is not a favor to anyone else to give such a strong team one more piece that potentially solves this problem

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia

You wanna trade your Honka, in the Honka. You wanna trade me your Honka, in the Honka. Yeah, Let's trade for Honka, trade for Honka...

serp

Jan 17, 2016
So you think its smart assets manament to invest signficant assets in a backup goalies with ok-ish numbers ? One that already was cut by one team after losing his backup job to another meh backup i might add .

Rangers aquired Raanta for an AHL player and now suddenly he's worth first rounders all of a sudden ? I don't see how his ok last year would've increased his value that much especially not when backup goalies values are at an all time low in general.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
For your assessment to be correct, Raanta would have to be less than a top calibre backup (1), when arguably he is, and Halverson would have to be run of the mill, not a top prospect.(2)

In the totality of circumstances, including that Raanta is only 1 per x 2, I don't consider the late first early second pick Raanta fetches(3) PLUS another second for Halvy(4), maybe with a conditional future pick if he lives up to expectations to be worth a higher first. We can quibble if higher is 12OA.

Upon reflection, in an effort to be fair, I would add insurance vs Halvy bust, plus a small add, say Bernhardt, who is a talented F prospect, but one in need of improved skating.

(1) Raanta is not a top caliber back up. If he was someone would have offered him more than a million this year and he would not have lost his backup job in chicago.

(2) Halverson is a regular old goalie prospect, nothing more. His OHL numbers aren't impressive, how that makes him a top prospect is beyond me.

(3) Raanta does not fetch a late first. Enroth, a guy with similar backup numbers returned a 3rd. Raanta's value would be around there.

(4) no one is going to pay a 2nd for a less than impressive goalie prospect. They are mostly all crap shoots until 23-24 anyways and one draft 59th overall and done nothing to show that he should have gone higher, does not get a higher pick. You would be lucky to find a team that would offer a 3rd for him.

So all in all you offered up the equivalent of 2 3rds for the guy Dallas picked 12th a year ago. Teams don't typically give up that early on pick, especially not that high. Guryanov for 2 3rds is an embarrassing offer. I actually think my offer of Oduya + 2nd for Buch is better than your offer now that I actually look at it.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
So you think its smart assets manament to invest signficant assets in a backup goalies with ok-ish numbers ? One that already was cut by one team after losing his backup job to another meh backup i might add .

Rangers aquired Raanta for an AHL player and now suddenly he's worth first rounders all of a sudden ? I don't see how his ok last year would've increased his value that much especially not when backup goalies values are at an all time low in general.

This same guy was convinced that Talbot was worth the same as Schneider and the fact that NYR didnt get a top 10 pick for him is not because he wasnt worth that but because the GM messed up. He values every ranger player as the best in their position

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Klein, a goalie prospect and a pick (not first) for Honka and a lower pick. That could go down. Stars need experienced & reliable defense this year being in a win now mode. Klein fits that Bill very well IMO. Stars then trade Nich+ for Bishop and they are a serious contender.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Klein, a goalie prospect and a pick (not first) for Honka and a lower pick. That could go down. Stars need experienced & reliable defense this year being in a win now mode. Klein fits that Bill very well IMO. Stars then trade Nich+ for Bishop and they are a serious contender.

Couldn't be less interested, even if there weren't expansion complications.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad