Proposal: Nyr-dal

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Only deal that makes sense for both sides is if the Rangers decided to do a rebuild and offered up Hank at 50% retained, along with Klein, for something like Honka, Nuke, another D prospect, and two 1sts. Enjoy your Cup, Dallas, and we're on our merry way with a nice rebuild starter kit. Everybody wins.

Hank and Klein to Dallas for prospects/picks would ensure them the cup. Klein would their defense (although he wouldn't be a full solution) and Henrik is better than both of their goalies combined.

They would have to send back at least one of their goalies in order to make it work cap wise. The real deal would be Lundqvist and Raanta for their two goalies + what you mentioned. It borders on unrealistic though since, according to Hank, he is finishing out his career in NY and Dallas is unlikely to give that up even if it all but guarantees them the cup.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
Hank and Klein to Dallas for prospects/picks would ensure them the cup. Klein would help shore up their defense and Henrik is better than both of their goalies combined.

They would have to send back one of their goalies in order to make it work cap wise. The real deal would be Lundqvist and Raanta for their two goalies + what you mentioned. It borders on unrealistic though since, according to Hank, he is finishing out his career in NY.

Yeah I mean honestly, I wouldn't wanna see Hank traded anyway, and it's for non-hockey reasons. Some players are just so important to a franchise that it's worth it to see them retire in that jersey. It's the same reason I never wanted to see Leetch traded (made all the worse by the crap return we got). Hank's still awesome, but even if he stinks in those last few contract years and becomes a backup, it'll all be worth it to see him retire with that jersey on.

I'd like to be able to take my son to the games to watch him play in 3 years (when he turns 5), even if Hank's a shell of himself at that point. Stuff like that is important to me as a fan, but if the team did decide to go full-on rebuild and Hank was on his way out, the trade with Dallas is the move to make.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Besides the first three, your depth isn't very good. Hemsky hasn't scored more than low 40's in points in almost 8 years, including less than 40 the last two years, and he's pretty old. Janmark didn't even produce like a top 9 offensive player last season. You guys could use another winger. Not saying you need to take the trade, but when I consider your team needs, I think a top 6 winger is one of them, and Zucc's a first line winger.

I'm not a fan of Dallas I just think trying to sell the highest scoring team in the league, with one of the absolute best wingers in the game, who also has solid (read: well above average) depth on the fact they need to trade some of their best prospects and trade chips for another scoring winger is bad logic and wrong. If they were going to move valuable pieces they would address a much more pressing need.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Being the highest scoring team in the NHL doesn't mean you don't have certain spots in the lineup where a winger is needed. Dallas has two of the best forwards in the NHL that more than make up for scoring problems elsewhere. You have one of the premier OFD in the game who makes up for scoring problems elsewhere. You are lying to yourself to say that you don't need another top 6 winger. Janmark is a 29 point in 73 game winger. That is not top 6 production, just isn't, not even close. How can you bank on him to be in your top 6 after that season? Needs to up his production a lot this season. Will it happen? I don't know, but right now he has not proven to even be a third line winger. Hemsky's last three seasons are 39, 32, 43 points. Not horrible, but certainly not that good either. I wouldn't be relying on him to be a top 6 winger. What are you guys going for? The Cup or the Playoffs? Teams that are going for the Cup usually try to become as good as they can in the short term to increase their chances of winning the Cup. Missing a top 6 winger is the type of thing that could be important in the later rounds of the playoffs. Also, you guys need solid defensive play, so you are offered Kevin Klein, a #4 on a good contract. What do you want? You think you are getting Drew Doughty?

You don't have to take the deal, but don't try to insult me, and say its an awful proposal. It fills two needs for your team, and it also fills a big need for us. I understand people have an attachment to certain players in both sides of the deal, but that doesn't mean its an awful idea for either team.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Being the highest scoring team in the NHL doesn't mean you don't have certain spots in the lineup where a winger is needed. Dallas has two of the best forwards in the NHL that more than make up for scoring problems elsewhere. You have one of the premier OFD in the game who makes up for scoring problems elsewhere. You are lying to yourself to say that you don't need another top 6 winger. Janmark is a 29 point in 73 game winger. That is not top 6 production, just isn't, not even close. How can you bank on him to be in your top 6 after that season? Needs to up his production a lot this season. Will it happen? I don't know, but right now he has not proven to even be a third line winger. Hemsky's last three seasons are 39, 32, 43 points. Not horrible, but certainly not that good either. I wouldn't be relying on him to be a top 6 winger. What are you guys going for? The Cup or the Playoffs? Teams that are going for the Cup usually try to become as good as they can in the short term to increase their chances of winning the Cup. Missing a top 6 winger is the type of thing that could be important in the later rounds of the playoffs. Also, you guys need solid defensive play, so you are offered Kevin Klein, a #4 on a good contract. What do you want? You think you are getting Drew Doughty?

You don't have to take the deal, but don't try to insult me, and say its an awful proposal. It fills two needs for your team, and it also fills a big need for us. I understand people have an attachment to certain players in both sides of the deal, but that doesn't mean its an awful idea for either team.

Janmark put up 29 point as a rookie. A team doesn't need 6 forwards all with more than 40 points. That crazy. We didn't have that and finished first in scoring. We have top 6 wingers in Benn, Sharp, Hudler. If don't think Hudler is top 6 winger then swap him with Hemsky. If you don't think Hemsky can play top 6 got look at his p/60

After that we have one more wing spot to fill, a rookie with 29 points in his final year is perfectly okay for that last spot. There are 180 top 6 slots in the NHL. The point cut off at 180/181 is 34 points. Janmark's production is was fine last year, if he get 5 more points he falls in that range.

Regardless of if he does, Dallas already had 6 forwards in the top 180 in scoring which is were you would like your top 6 to lie. Benn Seguin Spezza Hemsky Sharp and Eakin. They just aren't all used in a top 6 role. We don't need to pay premium assets for more of something we are already leading in.

As for why it's bad, it's not to insult you its just a team that finished 1st in scoring and has goalie + top end D issues would be insane to trade their biggest chips for more offense and a 2nd pairing D.

tldr; nothing coming back fills one of our whole and it's costing us our 2 more valuable young players. It's awful for us. A trade can be awful for both teams

Also you need to go look at league wide production. You are seriously over estimating how much people score these days. Players jn the 90th to 180th in scoring are putting up 34-49 points. So Hemsky, despite playing 3rd line minutes is very much a capable 2nd line winger for us. He just isn't used there and won't because of the chemistry between him and Faksa

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012

This is an awful proposal. It doesn't fill two needs because we need neither Klein nor Zuccarello. You are suggesting that two weeks ago the team that led the NHL in scoring and lost only 2 forwards from the 4th line needed to add 2 new scoring wingers. Adding Hudler didn't fix the problem in your mind. And we have a #4 on a better contract in Johns.

Moving on past the fact we don't need or want these players, we arrive at the cap. Nichushkin isn't on ours and we have ~4.5m in space. After all that goes to Zuccarello, we have zero space for Klein, 50% retained or not. You don't want people to call this an awful proposal, but it fails to clear the simplest and most obvious hurdle necessary for a trade. I have no idea why you continue to double down on it when you made such a huge mistake.

Finally, this would be terrible for us when expansion rolls around and we have neither the exempt Honka or the exposed Klein. I suppose it isn't fair to criticize you for not seeing that when you face-planted so hard on the salary cap right out of the gate, but it remains a problem for us caused by this misbegotten trade.

You have failed on every level.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Janmark was a 22-23 year old NHL rookie last season and played fine up and down the line up

He could have a "sophomore slump" or w/e and take a bit to fully adjust to the NHL, but to specifically cite him as a deficiency in the line up is mind boggling. He could realistically score ~40 points this year and I don't think anyone would be shocked. Hemsky and Hudler might be winding down in their careers but both are still solid middle 6 scoring threats. The first line pairing of Benn and Seguin is good enough that they can carry around a 4th liner like Eaves and make him a somewhat threatening/ useful option on that line.

They aren't as deep as say the Pittsburgh Penguins amongst their forward ranks, but who is? This proposal is neglecting the Stars needs terribly. I would imagine that if they were moving out that much value and youth they would be adding one of their goalies in the deal and getting back a better and cheaper goalie in return. Or at least you'd think management would try to swing it that way.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
All of these trade Zuccarello posts are ridiculous. Might as well start Henke & McDonagh proposals.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Janmark was a 22-23 year old NHL rookie last season and played fine up and down the line up

He could have a "sophomore slump" or w/e and take a bit to fully adjust to the NHL, but to specifically cite him as a deficiency in the line up is mind boggling. He could realistically score ~40 points this year and I don't think anyone would be shocked. Hemsky and Hudler might be winding down in their careers but both are still solid middle 6 scoring threats. The first line pairing of Benn and Seguin is good enough that they can carry around a 4th liner like Eaves and make him a somewhat threatening/ useful option on that line.

They aren't as deep as say the Pittsburgh Penguins amongst their forward ranks, but who is? This proposal is neglecting the Stars needs terribly. I would imagine that if they were moving out that much value and youth they would be adding one of their goalies in the deal and getting back a better and cheaper goalie in return. Or at least you'd think management would try to swing it that way.

Sure we are. Scorer for scorer we are deeper based on last year's results
Benn > Crosby by 4
Seguin > Kessel by 14
Spezza > Malkin by 5
Sharp > Hornqvist by 4
Hemsky < Kunitz by 1
Eakin > Cullen by 3

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Sure we are. Scorer for scorer we are deeper based on last year's results
Benn > Crosby by 4
Seguin > Kessel by 14
Spezza > Malkin by 5
Sharp > Hornqvist by 4
Hemsky < Kunitz by 1
Eakin > Cullen by 3

I've already pointed out that Dallas was the highest scoring team last year -- pure points are not what I was insinuating in that post. But I agree that Dallas is among the top of the league in terms of forward depth. This thread is ludicrous.

Lundy HOF

May 23, 2016
This is a hard pass from the Rangers. Dallas would be insane to say no to this if for no other reasons than they could turn around and trade Zucc for an equal or better package alone and keep Klein for free lol

Zucc is a 60pt forward making 4.5M - that's the epitome of value.

In general, ofc as a Rangers fan Honka is on the wish list but not for this price. Couldn't have less interest in Nuch - we have a million wingers and the kid has proven very little while having an injury history. A bad fit.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Zuccarello can bring back a very solid return just like Brassard did. The Rangers are a team in transition looking at getting younger.

Yeah and the team still needs someone to facilitate offense. Zuccarello would be that man. No reason to move him now unless they're blown away by an offer.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
The Rangers have other players who can replace Zuccarello's production if the Russian fails to live up to his potential. If he does reach his potential, the Rangers will be a better team. Honka is what the Rangers sorely lack. The Rangers would swap Zuccarello for Vatanen or Barrie. The Rangers were supposedly interested in both of them in 13-14. The Rangers would be a much better team right now if they had acquired either player. Honka is the prize. Gamble? The Rangers are used to gambling on players with concussion issues,bad guys,older fossils,etc. The Rangers are putting a lot of stock into Buchnevich and Vesey to be contributors this season. They have zero pro hockey experience. Sometimes you need a little conviction and big balls in making a trade.

Buchnevich has pro-experience, just not in North America.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
This is a hard pass from the Rangers. Dallas would be insane to say no to this if for no other reasons than they could turn around and trade Zucc for an equal or better package alone and keep Klein for free lol

In general, ofc as a Rangers fan Honka is on the wish list but not for this price. Couldn't have less interest in Nuch - we have a million wingers and the kid has proven very little while having an injury history. A bad fit.

How would Dallas be crazy to say no? The pieces going out do not fill a need, regardless of how good the player coming in is. Honka looks like a cheap, better skating Klingberg starter kit. Those players are extremely valuable and are a need of nearly every team in the league.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014

No we would dumb to say yes. We have the Benn extention kicking in soon, then Seguin after that. Cost controlled talented assets are going to be huge for us. This deal is awful for both teams no matter how you slice it

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Am re-posting this from #14 in pertinent part

THIS is the deal

1. {In my scenario} Klein not here, got sent to Edmonton with Lindberg + Fast for EDM 2018 1st, Yakimov, and cap dump + reasonable prospect, so they are off the table.

2. deal is:
Zuc, Raanta, Halverson, RD prospect Calle Andersson, F Daniel Bernhardt
for
Gurianov, Honka, cap dump Hemsky extra body/cap dump if nec

Nichushkin is off the table here.
IF both sides want to do a deal, it is acceptable assets as a base, and conditional add based on results.
Not interested now unless discounted due to his recovery from hip operation

why dallas
Zuc is legit top 6 versatile W either side, upgrade on expiring Hemksy. Gurianov may be kreider lite down the road, but even if near term on that, Zuc is immediate add and is positive contract for another 3 years.

More immediately important, Raanta is upgrade, can start if nec. as he has for NY when Hank was out. 2 years, 1m only each, sweetheart price for what he brings

THEN Halverson, who is possibly our best G prospect, 1-2 years away. Covers Stars ongoing needs.

Swedish Andersson not certain, but projects well and is also near term 1-2 years at most. Believed not all star potential but if/when he gets to the next level, solid, esp on fundamentals.

Bernhardt is a crap shoot. Has most of the tools, needs to upgrade his skating.

===============

Is Dallas serious about upgrading its G situation?
interested in this^ as to a solution.

also, if Stars prefer to not add Zuc at cost of Honka,
what about
Raanta, Halverson for Gurianov?

2 yrs solid upgrade, option to extend likley
future goaltender likely ready before then also provided

cost of former 1st

As an optional side transaction/enlarging that deal
I would do M. Staal at half and rights to Nanne for expiring Hemsky at full pop

Staal at half is thumbs up +, saves precious cap this season
H 4.1 - S 5.75 reduced to 2.85. = 1.25 savings
Nanne a legacy throw in, no cap prob

You are picking up Staal's NMC, why he's that cheap. Can you absorb that?

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016

THIS is the deal

1. {In my scenario} Klein not here, got sent to Edmonton with Lindberg + Fast for EDM 2018 1st, Yakimov, and cap dump + reasonable prospect, so they are off the table.

2. deal is:
for

IF both sides want to do a deal, it is acceptable assets as a base, and conditional add based on results.

why dallas
Zuc is legit top 6 versatile W either side, upgrade on expiring Hemksy. Gurianov may be kreider lite down the road, but even if near term on that, Zuc is immediate add and is positive contract for another 3 years.

More immediately important, Raanta is upgrade, can start if nec. as he has for NY when Hank was out. 2 years, 1m only each, sweetheart price for what he brings

THEN Halverson, who is possibly our best G prospect, 1-2 years away. Covers Stars ongoing needs.

Swedish Andersson not certain, but projects well and is also near term 1-2 years at most. Believed not all star potential but if/when he gets to the next level, solid, esp on fundamentals.

===============

what about

cost of former 1st

One issue is Halverson.....Shestyorkin is seen as the org's best goalie prospect and today he signed a 3yr extension with SKA, this means the Rangers will lose his rights in 2018...meaning Halverson is likely the legit top goalie prospect we have......so, he likely won't be a part of your fantasy deal.

Calle Anderson is a guy the Rangers should likely hold onto since he plays the right side and has some prospective upside. Could be why they moved Saarela.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012

what about

cost of former 1st

Raanta is not an upgrade, and he makes a whole new problem of 3 goalies.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014

THIS is the deal

2. deal is:
for

why dallas

===============

what about

cost of former 1st

This again 2 of out top prospects for more offense and not filling our needs and before you say it, no Raanta doesn't fix our goalie issues

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
One issue is Halverson.....Shestyorkin is seen as the org's best goalie prospect and today he signed a 3yr extension with SKA, this means the Rangers will lose his rights in 2018...meaning Halverson is likely the legit top goalie prospect we have......so, he likely won't be a part of your fantasy deal.

Calle Anderson is a guy the Rangers should likely hold onto since he plays the right side and has some prospective upside. Could be why they moved Saarela.

Thank you for the breaking news update.
does not change my position, we have a couple of other guys I'm ok with, and we are planning to have gradual fade out with hank anyway, so it's not a big whoop. In fact that may be why Shesty did not sign/commit here.
[Also, not sure what loopholes exist/or not, but I could see something where he signs to start w/NY after his term w/SKA, and if nec, alternatively signs here and we agree he is loaned to SKA for like a yr. Prob get screwed on ELC shorted a yr-ish, but might otherwise be within the rules.]

I concur Andersson has improving upside. Not can't miss yet, but looks solid, reliable, does fundamentals. Was giving to get, he was a replacement for Stars if we got Honka.

I'll give it til tom. but it appears the deal is a bust 'cause we disagree on value of Raanta. (Would like to see if that is majority consensus of Dallas fans or not.)
That said, IF the correct add could be agreed upon with Halverson, I would do that for Gurianov if Stars would.

Raanta is not an upgrade, and he makes a whole new problem of 3 goalies.
Disagree, and it would be on you to deal with the incumbents.
Setting aside difference of opinion in upgrade, if you got a taker for your starter, it should help a lot with cap room.

This again 2 of out top prospects for more offense and not filling our needs and before you say it, no Raanta doesn't fix our goalie issues

That is why I have the shortened version w/out Zuc and Honka.
Fine honest disagreement of op on Raanta.
Seems you guys say you want G upgrade, but don't warm up to likes of Halverson, either.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
does not change my position, we have a couple of other guys I'm ok with, and we are planning to have gradual fade out with hank anyway, so it's not a big whoop. In fact that may be why Shesty did not sign/commit here.
[Also, not sure what loopholes exist/or not, but I could see something where he signs to start w/NY after his term w/SKA, and if nec, alternatively signs here and we agree he is loaned to SKA for like a yr. Prob get screwed on ELC shorted a yr-ish, but might otherwise be within the rules.]

I concur Andersson has improving upside. Not can't miss yet, but looks solid, reliable, does fundamentals. Was giving to get, he was a replacement for Stars if we got Honka.

Rangers prospect goalie depth:

Shesterkin
Skapski
Huska
Halverson
Wall
Hellberg

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012

I'll give it til tom. but it appears the deal is a bust 'cause we disagree on value of Raanta. (Would like to see if that is majority consensus of Dallas fans or not.)
That said, IF the correct add could be agreed upon with Halverson, I would do that for Gurianov if Stars would.

Setting aside difference of opinion in upgrade, if you got a taker for your starter, it should help a lot with cap room.

Seems you guys say you want G upgrade, but don't warm up to likes of Halverson, either.

Actually that's what you keep saying we want. You also keep pushing Raanta at us without taking back a goalie, and there are zero teams that want 3 goalies on their roster.

As I've said to you several times by now, Raanta isn't a starter and never has been. We need somebody who can handle at least 40 starts, he's never made more than 25 in the NHL and has made only 78 total starts in North America in the past 3 years. For the 3rd or 4th time, your backup isn't an upgrade over one of our starters.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014

If Dallas gets a fix they need it to be now, so no Halverson give us nothing now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad