Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] D Ryan Lindgren re-signs with the Rangers (1 year, $4.5M)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Weird deal. Very high cap hit for only one year.
He's 26 and 1 year from UFA and he filed for arbitration. So, the max term he could get via arb was 1 year. Guess, he's betting on hitting it big as a ufa. NYR didn't want to pay him big long term. Figure, they plan to pay Miller.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
Could have been worse. I think a lot of rangers fans were joking 5+ multi year

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Does Lindgren suck?
No, he’s miscast, just like Michal Rozsival, Marek Malik, Dan Girardi and others were.

The Rangers have had a habit over the years of playing defensemen in roles well above their means.

The worry about him is that his body won’t hold up with the beatings he takes on a nightly basis at his size, over the course of his next deal.

If he goes to a team where he can play as a 4-6D with lesser minutes, he can be a very valuable piece around $4m or so.

I just wouldn’t go higher than that on the AAV and I wouldn’t give him more than 4 years.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Probably a player that will get paid 5 to 6.5 ish million for 6 or 7 years during UFA.
I doubt it. Kid plays all out and with the wear and tear on his body, a team would be taking a big chance on signing him long term. He’s basically injury prone now due to the way he plays. Kudos to him for his style of play. However, I don’t think he’ll have a long career. That’s why the Rangers only signed him for a year. I can see the Rangers or another team offering up no more than 3 years.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I doubt it. Kid plays all out and with the wear and tear on his body, a team would be taking a big chance on signing him long term. He’s basically injury prone now due to the way he plays. Kudos to him for his style of play. However, I don’t think he’ll have a long career. That’s why the Rangers only signed him for a year. I can see the Rangers or another team offering up no more than 3 years.
Did you see what Seattle offerred some ufas Chris Tanev got 4.5 for 6 years

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Fans are so weird about this player. Acting like $4.5M is expensive for a guy who plays on their alleged "top pairing". It all feels like excuse-making for Fox not being as good as advertised...and that K'Andre-Trouba pairing being the "real" top/matchup pairing that does more of the real important work.

Anything bad that happens when Fox is on the ice is because Lindgren? Anything good that happens is because Fox and Lindgren brings very little to the table and is broken down and useless already? Just kinda weird dissonance going on with a lot of things.

Definitely appears as though the Rangers have made their decision though. And the right one. To pay K'Andre Miller once his bridge is done, rather than paying Lindgren. The concerns about him holding up physically in a long-term deal are certainly fair, with the way he plays. But man...you find a guy who works great as a partner for your Norris-caliber defenceman, and doesn't score near enough points to command a particularly huge deal...i'd think about trying to keep him. At least, if you don't have a really clear succession plan in place, in house.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad