Proposal: NYR - COL off season Blockbuster

MackAttack71

May 10, 2024
Germany
This is purely hypothetical and mostly for fun but…

:avs
To Colorado
Igor Shesterkin

:rangers
To New York
Mikko Rantanen

Both are around same age and upcoming UFAs. If somehow their clubs can’t agree with them on the new contracts terms, the Avs solve their goalie problem once and for all while Nichushkin and Landeskog return will make Rantanen departure less painful and the Rangers solidify their top 6 with a proven play off warrior.
Who says yes?

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Can Rantanen continue his high level of play and live up to that contract if he’s the only player on a line? Bc chances are he’d be put with the wonder twins as the latest in a long list of attempts to fix them. And we’ve all seen how that ends up

Can’t see this being worth it for NY, and I’m someone not interested in re-signing Shesterkin.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Can Rantanen continue his high level of play and live up to that contract if he’s the only player on a line? Bc chances are he’d be put with the wonder twins as the latest in a long list of attempts to fix them. And we’ve all seen how that ends up

Can’t see this being worth it for NY, and I’m someone not interested in re-signing Shesterkin.
Rantanen put up his best numbers when MacKinnon out was out a couple years ago.

I'm going to say Rantanen has more value than Shesterkin, goalies just don't return much in a trade compared to skaters.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Igor’s contract demands are ludicrous. No chance I’d give in to him. I wouldn’t take him as a UFA.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
As an Avs fan, no…

Shesterkin is a great goalie, but Avs don’t really need a great, elite goalie to win as they proved it in 22, so giving up Mikko for Shesterkin and signing him to 11 or 12 mill contract won’t make sense for them.
I think you guys do. Avs aren't the same team from 2022. Can't just stick a plug in there and expect to win.

If Avs are serious about winning, they need at least a good goalie, preferably elite goalie

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Yes, the assumption is they sign with their new teams after the trade

That’s not really what I was asking. I was asking about whether the *8th year* (for the players who will then be a 29 year old goalie and a 28 year old forward) is something that’s crucially important to both players and both teams.

If either player thinks the best 7 year offer on the open market might be better than an 8 year offer without open-market competition … or if either team is skittish about committing to eight years and into the back half of their thirties … then this would go nowhere.

So this is all making an assumption a little more specific than “they sign with their new teams” - it’s that 8 year contracts are the ideals for both teams and both players, and so much so that the players will forego the open market opportunity they will then be only weeks from tasting. It’s putting a monumental value on the teams’ eagerness to lock in a mid-late-30s year at top dollar for these guys, and the players to think that 8th year security is more valuable than the chance to test the open market for the biggest 7 year opportunity.

That’s a mammoth assumption.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

I'm going to say Rantanen has more value than Shesterkin, goalies just don't return much in a trade compared to skaters.
I think the poster was insulting Kreider/Zibanejad's play rather than trying to make it sound like Rantanen is a product of anybody.

Reactions: UnSandvich

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
As much as I like Rantanen as a player and am very wary of giving big money to a goalie, this deal does make the Rangers worse. They already have a better all-offense winger in Panarin

Trade value , no. But contribution to wins , it’s not even close

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I think you guys do. Avs aren't the same team from 2022. Can't just stick a plug in there and expect to win.

If Avs are serious about winning, they need at least a good goalie, preferably elite goalie
We need a good goalie not a 12 million dollar elite goalie

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Let's just get something straight here: if there was a bizarro world where this trade would happen, Shesterkin would be more expensive to re-sign than Rantanen for the Avs. Shesterkin has already turned down an 88 million dollar offer from the Rangers. Guess how much that would be on a 7 year deal with the Avs? 12.5, and that's just what Igor turned down. Whereas with Rantanen the current state of negotiations is that apparently the Avs are not offering Rantanen anywhere near that type of cash right now. Probably offering him something in the 11s at max.

But it's not going to happen. Rangers team construction needs Igor. And making this trade after the deadline only means you have an early start with negotiations, nothing more. Neither team can offer the 8th year if they don't have the player on their roster by trade deadline.
Life is more expensive in NY than in Colorado maybe that’s why Shesterkin wants more money. He probably would accept 12 mill living in Denver

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017

Gotcha gotcha good to know. For explanation, the Rangers “1C” Zibanejad has 1 5v5 point this season, and he and Kreider as a pair are played out and ineffective 5v5. Hence why I was asking if 13mil Rantanen can solo-carry his line.

As for the value standpoint, I was approaching it from the “both are unsigned UFA’s and the season is over” viewpoint OP had suggested. I do agree in a vacuum skater > goalie thougj

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Can’t see the Rangers going for this.

MacKinnon, Makar and Shesterkin on the same team would be insane to build around.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Life is more expensive in NY than in Colorado maybe that’s why Shesterkin wants more money. He probably would accept 12 mill living in Denver
On the contrary; Shesterkin wants the bag because he (and his agent) see him as the MVP for the Rangers, thus he wants more money than Panarin.

Now, maybe he would not be that in the Avalanche with Makar and MacKinnon, but I doubt it would change his UFA ask.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
No, you need an elite goalie. You guys are barely a playoff team this year, and I might be generous in stating this is barely a playoff team.
With a full lineup, the Avs are a contender and don’t need an elite goalie. Right now they could use an elite goalie because missing too many key players, but that’s not gonna be the whole season. When they get everyone back, they won’t need Shesterkin to win, just need someone better than Georgiev, but not a 12 million dollar goalie

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
With a full lineup, the Avs are a contender and don’t need an elite goalie. Right now they could use an elite goalie because missing too many key players, but that’s not gonna be the whole season. When they get everyone back, they won’t need Shesterkin to win, just need someone better than Georgiev, but not a 12 million dollar goalie
Is Landeskog ever gonna play? Can Nichushkin stay out of trouble? To me, those are both major questions, and the “we’re waiting for our complimentary pieces to return to put a little less pressure on our stars” mantra might start to be needing questioning, even if the theory has merit as long as it occurs. If those players are consistently unavailable, it starts eating in the contention window for MacKinnon, Makar, Rantanen, and a true retool might be needed.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Is Landeskog ever gonna play? Can Nichushkin stay out of trouble? To me, those are both major questions, and the “we’re waiting for our complimentary pieces to return to put a little less pressure on our stars” mantra might start to be needing questioning, even if the theory has merit as long as it occurs. If those players are consistently unavailable, it starts eating in the contention window for MacKinnon, Makar, Rantanen, and a true retool might be needed.
That’s true, Landeskog and Nichushkin are question marks, but they either come back and stay in the lineup, or Val screws up again and Landeskog’s knee doesn’t holds up and they’re both out again, in which case Avs would need to replace them with top 6 wingers.

I still don’t see a point of making a trade for Shesterkin specially if we don’t have Val and Landy and we need more wingers, not trading the best winger we have for Shesterkin

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Shesterkin > Rantanen IMO
Plus no way in hell NYR trade him
Obviously, if he's traded, it is because he couldn't come to a contract extension with the Rangers and will be available. Getting Rantanen back though would be a great return if he doesn't want to re-sign.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
No, you need an elite goalie. You guys are barely a playoff team this year, and I might be generous in stating this is barely a playoff team.
You’re correct.

If they continue to not have Nichushkin, Landeskog, Toews, Drouin and Lehkonen, they are not a playoff team.

I wouldn’t expect it either. Their current team is, I think, below the cap floor.

We’ll revisit the “generous in stating this is barely a playoff team”

Reactions: Linds

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
Has anyone considered Colorado's cap situation going into next year assuming Landeskog and Nichushkin come back? They're currently pretty close to the cap with those guys on LTIR or player assistance. Even with Rantanen's $9.25M coming off the books next year, I don't know how they fit a ~$12-14M contract for the upcoming seasons especially when it comes time to give Makar a raise.

They're probably going to have to get creative.
We are not close to the cap with them on IR.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad