NYR - 4 decades of having an elite goaltender

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
During his active years Richter wasn’t a top 5 starter for most of it and even his best seasons he would be an edge case for top 5. You always had Hasek, Roy and Brodeur as the three best guys any given years during his career and you always had Balfour, Vanbiesbrouck, Cujo and Vernon all having very good stretches in the 90s. I wouldn’t call him elite. He was *just* very good.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I wish our great goaltending over the years came with some players who play better defense and don’t turtle as soon as they score a goal.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I wish our great goaltending over the years came with some players who play better defense and don’t turtle as soon as they score a goal.
Feel like the Rangers have had some of Those Sorts of coaches over the same span. Turtling always feels like a mistake to me when you have a good goalie; you can afford to keep pushing a bit more when you have a good chance of your guy making a save.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Feel like the Rangers have had some of Those Sorts of coaches over the same span. Turtling always feels like a mistake to me when you have a good goalie; you can afford to keep pushing a bit more when you have a good chance of your guy making a save.
Yeah, and it probably cost the team a Cup in 2014. That series is remembered as lopsided, but the Rangers took a lot of early leads and invited the Kings to pressure them the rest of the game essentially every game.

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
Yeah, and it probably cost the team a Cup in 2014. That series is remembered as lopsided, but the Rangers took a lot of early leads and invited the Kings to pressure them the rest of the game essentially every game.
That series played alot like the Rangers always played the playoffs rely on your goalie and just hope to score enough. It's the lay and pray old MMA style in nhl for.

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
This and Hasek’s career just goes to show you can’t win it all with just goaltending.
Montreal did win with only goaltending (Patrick Roy).

Habs also had multiple elite goalie. Ken Dryden , Patrick Roy and Carey Price.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
What about Nashville Predators?

They had:
Tomas Vokoun - good performance from 2002/2003 until 2006/2007
Pekka Rinne one ca say in elite form from 2008/2009 until 2018/2019 (1 Vezina)
Then came Juuse Saros

Mike Dunham
was the first Nr. one goalie in their history. Not great, but good until Vokoun emerged.
Dan Ellis was a one season wonder, right between Vokoun and Rinne.

And now we are waiting for Yaroslav Askarov.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

Jorma Heart

Sep 5, 2009
Richter stopped being elite somewhere after 1996 and Lundqvist came into league 2005. I believe they missed playoffs seven times in a row between those years. There were no elite things in those Rangers teams.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Richter was a slightly above average goalie over most of his career, which was sadly derailed by key injuries. But he was so clutch. The bigger the game, the better he played.

As someone who played goalie, he was my idol growing up. Met him a few times too and I can confidently say he’s one of the kindest athletes I’ve ever met. Incredibly smart, and humble. Impossible to dislike. He’s just a kicksss human.

He wasn’t at the level that Hank or Igor were though — but he was an absolute wall when the games mattered most.

Reactions: HBK27

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
It wasn't all fun and games... we had some major disappointments along the way:

1717084669229.png

... Yes, he is wearing two blockers.

Reactions: The Macho King

Section 104

Sep 12, 2021
Kind of strange the Rangers 4 Stanley Cups were won by non HOF goalies

1928 Lorne Chabot. He has his advocates for HHOF like Stan Fischler but never made it. Regular season first two rounds but injured in finals with the legendary game of 44 year old coach Lester Patrick (who had been a defenseman) taking over when the Montreal Maroons refused to allow another goalie who was in the stands. Next two games scramble and get Joe Miller to win the Cup . Miller plays a couple years with weak teams.

1933 Andy Aitkenhead. A two year plus a brief 3rd year in NHL

1940 Dave Kerr. A good goalie, I think he was the first NHL player to make the cover of “Time” magazine when that was a pretty big thing

1994 Mike Richter

Meanwhile the HHOF goalies the Rangers did have Chuck Rayner, Gump Worsley, Jacques Plante (brief and ineffective) Ed Giacomin, Henrik Lundqvist …a few get close but don’t win the Cup

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
four decades and ONE cup (that they nearly blew)

Honestly that is more impressive to me

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
Goalie coaches >>> Goalies

One has way more long-term affect on an organization than the other. Theres a reason almost every goalie that comes to the Rangers generally improves upon arrival, and gets worse the further they move away from the organization upon their departure.

I feel like the same happens with Boston recently.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Even our backups have been good lol

Don’t worry you have Sorokin…wait…
The difference is that Ilya is our first very good goalie since Smith. rangers have had 4 decades and one cup. thats why im saying that. This isn't a slap at the islanders time, its a time to realize how much the Rangers have wasted incredible goalies due to poor offensive teams like the Lundqvist era.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

GrkFlyersFan

Jul 30, 2011
South Jersey
I've always said this. And as many of you said, pretty seamless. Beezer started for them from (1985-1993), directly succeeded by Richter(1993-2003). Richter actually retired in early 2003 before the season was out. A very young Daniel Blackburn finished out that season as starter. Then just a year of Mike Dunham and the lockout takes you to 15 years of Lundqvist(2005-2020), directly succeeded by Shesterkin(2020-present). And really, not long before Beezer, John Davidson directly succeeded Eddie Giacomin. Montreal is rightfully known as the team that always seems to have a goalie(although that could be changing), but the Rangers have had quality goaltending for most of their history, too.

Then you got my Flyers who had Bernie, Pelle and Hexy, and then since about 1992 including the second coming of Hexy.........crap!

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Potvin
Joseph
Balfour

This was a great run with goalies. Only a decade though. Not long enough sadly...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad