Proposal: Nyquist and Howard to the Flames

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
People really need to stop saying this.

One team overpaid for the guy they wanted. Boyle is a huge body and someone was willing to overpay for that. Not every player that is better than Boyle is bringing back a 1st.

What on earth are you talking about? Nyquist is putting up top line numbers this year, he would be a great offensive addition to any team competing for the cup. If he won't get a 1st, he's not getting traded.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
"you've never watched them play" is always code for I can't refurlte it, but you disagree with me so I'll play this card.
Didn't you literally admit earlier in this thread that your judgement of Howard was based on what your friends told you? :laugh:

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
2nd,4th,low tier prospect and cap dumps for Howard and Nyqvist?

this is more likely for that return

Smith
Mangiapane
1st rd pick
3rd rd pick

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
What on earth are you talking about? Nyquist is putting up top line numbers this year, he would be a great offensive addition to any team competing for the cup. If he won't get a 1st, he's not getting traded.
Nyquist would be on the flames top 6, easy. Don't let delusional flames fans tell you otherwise. Frolik is not a good top 6 player. Bennett can't do it consistently and Neal is not a good fit for some reasons

Should the flames give up the 1st for him? Not sure, depending on other options

Richard Menzel

Jan 23, 2019
LOL

I cant even remember the last time somebody paid a first for a rental goalie

Howard is old over the hill just like Elliot and Smith...those type of experiment never worked out.

Howard AND Nyquist may get you a first but Howard alone is not anywhere close to a first.

yeah .916 is a horrible save percentage, he is over the hill lmao!!

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
yeah .916 is a horrible save percentage, he is over the hill lmao!!
The Flames should but be touching another border line aging #1 vet. They only need a 1b. They should target someone who is young and will stick around for the long haul.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Nyquist would be on the flames top 6, easy. Don't let delusional flames fans tell you otherwise. Frolik is not a good top 6 player. Bennett can't do it consistently and Neal is not a good fit for some reasons

Should the flames give up the 1st for him? Not sure, depending on other options

Nyquist is putting up career highs but getting huge minutes. On the Flames, best case scenario, he's getting 2nd line shut down minutes.

Frolik is also a very consistent .5 PPG player with solid energy and shut down ability. The Flames actual need is a #3 center who is a physical force. I'd rather see the team upgrade Jankowski than Frolik.

You're right someone may pay a 1st for Nyquist, but the Flames shouldn't.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
The Flames should but be touching another border line aging #1 vet. They only need a 1b. They should target someone who is young and will stick around for the long haul.

Who in the league is/would be willing to give up a young 1b goalie? Also, wouldn't that cost more to get than someone like Howard.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Who in the league is/would be willing to give up a young 1b goalie? Also, wouldn't that cost more to get than someone like Howard.

Firstly young is a relatively word. Howard turns 35 shortly. I'd better hope the price is low. The Flames don't have a 2nd. Anything more than a 3rd+ and they should explore elsewhere. If the price is much more than a 3rd, the Flames are better off bringing in someone long-term. The league is awash with serviceable goalies good for 25-30 games a year.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Firstly young is a relatively word. Howard turns 35 shortly. I'd better hope the price is low. The Flames don't have a 2nd. Anything more than a 3rd+ and they should explore elsewhere. If the price is much more than a 3rd, the Flames are better off bringing in someone long-term. The league is awash with serviceable goalies good for 25-30 games a year.
Then I think you guys should move on and go for talbot

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Nyquist is putting up career highs but getting huge minutes. On the Flames, best case scenario, he's getting 2nd line shut down minutes.

Frolik is also a very consistent .5 PPG player with solid energy and shut down ability. The Flames actual need is a #3 center who is a physical force. I'd rather see the team upgrade Jankowski than Frolik.

You're right someone may pay a 1st for Nyquist, but the Flames shouldn't.
I wasn’t aware second line players roles were to shutdown opposing players

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I wasn’t aware second line players roles were to shutdown opposing players
Yes. Many teams employ their second lines in more of a two way role. They provide the best offensive opportunities to their top line. Then the second line will get defensive starts against the other team's top line. The third and fourth line skaters will typically not be good enough skaters to keep up with players like Crosby, McDavid, and other top end talent.

Here's an article on how the 3M line tops the Flames in defensive starts

https://dobberhockey.com/hockey-hom...-offensive-zone-starts-and-the-calder-trophy/

While I think that Nyquist is a good player, his numbers are clearly inflated by his prime ice time. In Calgary he drops back closer to his typical .5 to .6 PPG play. Frolik is a .5ppg player. So it's a marginal upgrade for a rental. If a first is on the table Stone should be the target.

What Calgary however really actually needs is an upgrade at 3C.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
The consensus is that he’s worth way more to the wings than he is to anyone else.
He's turning 35 in a couple months. The wings are not competing. Why not trade and then resign in the off season.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
He's turning 35 in a couple months. The wings are not competing. Why not trade and then resign in the off season.
If he’s not that good and not worth the price our team wants then just move on and target someone else it’s pretty simple

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad