Value of: Nylander

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

alphabetical

May 8, 2013
I see we have moved on from telling Leaf fans Matthews won’t re-sign to telling us Nylander won’t.
And people who have spent 30 seconds looking at the Leafs cap situation think they understand it better than us who have been paying attention to it for years.
Didn't a lot of those warnings play out though? Everyone said some variation of "if you sign all those forwards, your defence will be absolute shit." I think people are again saying "if you sign more forwards, your defence will be absolute shit."

By all means, sign another 11 million dollar contract to have 12 players signed next year for 64.5 million dollars. The rest of that roster will be absolute gems, especially the 3 top four defenders and starting goaltender y'all need to find.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Didn't a lot of those warnings play out though? Everyone said some variation of "if you sign all those forwards, your defence will be absolute shit." I think people are again saying "if you sign more forwards, your defence will be absolute shit."

By all means, sign another 11 million dollar contract to have 12 players signed next year for 64.5 million dollars. The rest of that roster will be absolute gems, especially the 3 top four defenders and starting goaltender y'all need to find.
No those “warnings” were straight up people telling us for years that Matthews was going to leave as soon as he could but anyway…..

I think we all acknowledge that next season is going to be a step back for the team. Having 4 forwards making double digits is going to limit our depth. But it’s one season. Tavares’s contract comes of the book the year after and the cap is expected to take a big jump the next 2 seasons.

The problem with too many highly paid forwards is going to take care of itself that way. Either Tavares moves on or he takes a heavy discount. And we aren’t going to trade or lose Nylander to avoid a single season cap crunch

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Finding 5-7 mil for a good #2-3 is trivial even with Nylander at double digits, it’s actually getting a #2-3 worth paying that’s the hard part. Reaves, Kampf, and Klingberg make a combined 8 mil and you could upgrade on them with league minimum AHLers chosen at random.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Habs are out. He's too much money for one guy. Usually weakens team in another position. Unless a team has a lot of young cheap players contributing. Habs do but we also have several bad contracts nullify that gain.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Nylander, if he's willing to discuss an extension in Nashville, to NSH for Askarov and McDonagh.

Nashville loses an amazing prospect who is stuck behind Saros anyway, and a defenceman that isn't a dealbreaker. But they fill their biggest need for an uber talented forward.

Toronto loses the best player in the deal. But balances their cap structure (too much money in talented forwards), fixes the defense for the win-now window, and solves the goalie position long-term.

Add picks or replacement goalie/forward as needed.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Nylander, if he's willing to discuss an extension in Nashville, to NSH for Askarov and McDonagh.

Nashville loses an amazing prospect who is stuck behind Saros anyway, and a defenceman that isn't a dealbreaker. But they fill their biggest need for an uber talented forward.

Toronto loses the best player in the deal. But balances their cap structure (too much money in talented forwards), fixes the defense for the win-now window, and solves the goalie position long-term.

I'm a fan of Askarov's and he obviously has the potential to be one of the next elite goaltenders, but he's still a prospect and goalies are the most volatile in terms of reaching their potential. In addition, goalies just don't have the same value as skaters.

A 34 yo McDonagh is not nearly enough to make up the difference between Askarov and a signed Nylander. Picks don't really benefit us at this point... IF we were moving him, itd be better to trade Nylander for 1 or 2 high quality pieces than multiple pieces and picks.

Having said that. I'd be absolutely shocked if he was moved.

Reactions: cyris

patriotfan

Jun 8, 2014
as good as he is and is playing right now its time to move him because of the trade value is at its highest i suggest to the oilers with mathews for mcdavid but i dont think the oilers do it but i am sure leafs would do this.....

too expensive deal him now while you can.....................
as good as he is and is playing right now its time to move him because of the trade value is at its highest i suggest to the oilers with mathews for mcdavid but i dont think the oilers do it but i am sure leafs would do this.....

too expensive deal him now while you can.....................
oh by the way isn't it a good time for two struggling teams to make a big swap a big block buster to shake things up, i know the leafs aren't going anywhere maybe playoffs and one and done and oilers might not ever make it so the time is now to do a big shake up for both teams...

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

Nylander for a goalie prospect and a guy Tampa wanted to move on from, where do I sign?!

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad